Level of respect (Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Do not expect me to support your excuses for not getting education higher than 120 hours for EMT.

Do not expect me to support that it takes 3 years to master the few skills at the EMT-B level.

Do not expect me to tell you that EMT-B is a career.

Do not expect me to support you doing skills for which you are not educated or properly trained for and which can bring harm to a patient.

Do not expect me to support your arguments that the people of your community only want BLS providers on their ambulances.

Do not expect me to support volunteer services when there can be a better way.

Do not expect me to support volunteer services when I hear "my other job".

Do not expect me to support your negative comments about patients when they aren't "exciting" enough for you.

Do not expect me to support your bashing of professions you have little knowledge of.

Do not expect me to support your comments when you are just making up "facts" without supporting data to back up what you have written.

Do not expect me to support you when you get offended when someone does ask for references to your statements.

Do not expect me to support BLS vs ALS arguments when it is about patient care.

Do not expect me to support the addition of one more "skill" so you can get another pretty patch and put off advancing your education to Paramedic.

Do not expect me to support you tricking out your POV with L/S and carry a huge bag of supplies just because it looks impressive.

I'd like this on a poster. It should also be the first and last page of every EMT text book. :)

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Do not expect me to support your excuses for not getting education higher than 120 hours for EMT.

Do not expect me to support that it takes 3 years to master the few skills at the EMT-B level.

Do not expect me to support you doing skills for which you are not educated or properly trained for and which can bring harm to a patient.

Do not expect me to support your arguments that the people of your community only want BLS providers on their ambulances.

Do not expect me to support your negative comments about patients when they aren't "exciting" enough for you.

Do not expect me to support your bashing of professions you have little knowledge of.

Do not expect me to support your comments when you are just making up "facts" without supporting data to back up what you have written.

Do not expect me to support you when you get offended when someone does ask for references to your statements.

Do not expect me to support the addition of one more "skill" so you can get another pretty patch and put off advancing your education to Paramedic.

Do not expect me to support you tricking out your POV with L/S and carry a huge bag of supplies just because it looks impressive.

Expect you to support?

Sorry I missed where we as EMTs requested your support, respect or acceptance.

When I do I will review this list.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Expect you to support?

Hence, part of the problem with EMS. Newer members assuming they are owed respect and automatic acceptance, yet whine and cry about how things are.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
Expect you to support?

They don't directly request it but complain when they don't get it!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic

Squee!
spacer.gif

/me feels slightly guilty about not going to medic school

And yes, the long full quote is necessary. I might start quoting this into other threads, actually.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Think I tend to agree with Ridryder on this one. I see an awful lot of people today (of course not all) who have a kind of an instant gratification syndrome. Hardest thing about raising a kid today is getting past this feel-good society which is now well into its 2nd decade. The competition is tough for those who realize the value of hard work, humility and experience.

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
It's SASHA. Not Sacha. I'm not Borat, okay? Very nice.

Only when you're wrong.

I don't disagree with people to disagree, you, of all people, Ms.Medic should know that.
let me point something out here. When I first came here I really didn't like Sasha. She was usually hard nosed and very strict about whatever anybody posted. But, I came to realize that she is most likely a good source to learn from and I also realize that whenever she corrected me it was because she meant well and wanted to straighten me out. So, don't jump on Sasha, she is only trying to help all of us on here and make sure all the stories stay straight so that the newcomers to EMS get an accurate depiction of reality. I know there are going to be 500 people jump on me for posting this, and don't even bother telling me that I know nothing; I am aware of the fact and I accept it as the chance to prove to everyone else that I am capable of being a good learner and absorbing bits and pieces of helpful info along the way. Say what you will, but Sasha is one of the few people on here that have what it takes to roll up the sleeves and shoot straight on a daily basis (which is what several people on here need, and yes sometimes I need the brute force of reality deliverd in an un-sugar coated form).

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Hence, part of the problem with EMS. Newer members assuming they are owed respect and automatic acceptance, yet whine and cry about how things are.

R/r 911

Owed respect and automatic acceptance?

I have been doing this job for over ten years, do you honestly think I am awaiting your respect or acceptance?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Owed respect and automatic acceptance?

I have been doing this job for over ten years, do you honestly think I am awaiting your respect or acceptance?

Ten years and what achievement in patient care and personal development? Anyone can become complacent and I supposed to honor that?

I have been doing it three times longer but I would not expect an automatic approval. I still expect and do attempt and be challenged to "earn" my approval daily. It should not be a given in the health care field. Again, the old saying ... "respect is earned not given"...... is never more true.

R/r 911

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
This has been by far my favorite thread on the forum. It does make sense to me. I worked hard for my degree, and I respect myself for getting it, however I do not expect anyone else to respect me for it (admittedly it is in psychology, and worth about nothing to anyone). I enjoy learning, and I have even enjoyed learning what is taught in basic school, heck even what was taught in my CNA class.

I do tend to lean towards thinking on the EMT-B as a support job equivocal to a CNA, however I see it as a stepping stone to more as well. And yes I do think what is taught is basic (probably why they call it that), but I didn't take neuropsychology right off that bat either. In my area every paramedic program in the area requires you to be a basic for at least 500 hours before matriculation.

I come from an educated bunch. My dad is a collegiate educator and my mother is a PA, so I definitely understand the importance of education, and fully plan on advancing my career through education in some way. I am very hopeful about the EMS route, however I am cautious about being involved in such a new field with just the slightest bit of history to it's name, but I am going to give it a try.

As for the reactions of some of the people on the forum to others, I both understand and respect their opinions. It seems to me that the people who take offense to the statements made are themselves insecure about their skills and education. I also think that there is a tendency in the field to defend the institution of EMS, and this necessitates being 'harsh' at times.

Of course this is all very subjective, and I am sure I will be roasted for that. Regardless, I enjoyed the thread. I would like to hear other theories, especially from seasoned providers.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Think I tend to agree with Ridryder on this one. I see an awful lot of people today (of course not all) who have a kind of an instant gratification syndrome. Hardest thing about raising a kid today is getting past this feel-good society which is now well into its 2nd decade. The competition is tough for those who realize the value of hard work, humility and experience.

Sure. Young adults expect to go right into high paying jobs, like it's beneath them to stock shelves or flip burgers for minimum wage. Parents are giving their children whatever they want, like X-Box, PS3, designer clothes, a late model car for their 18th b'day.

There have been plenty of crybabies at every place that I've worked. NSLIJ is one of the top hosp. based 911 providers in NY, but many would gripe about anything and everything, as if the place was a craphole.

At my current employer, which is known around the country as a stellar dept, also has it's share of whiners. When I first got on the job, I couldn't fathom how this was possible, as some would kill their own mother to get on here. I've figured it out, though. There are those on the dept who have never held a serious job in this field, or maybe never had a serious job period.

Parents need to push their children into crap jobs so they can learn a strong work ethic and the value of a dollar. Things are viewed differently when you are required to pay for your own car insurance, clothes, dates, etc.

I've repeatedly witnessed the attitude of "they're not paying me enough to work like this. If they wanted me to work harder, they would be paying me more". Guess what, when you take a job, you're expected to be productive and perform at a high level. YOU chose to work there, so pay your dues. If you want to command a higher salary, increase your education and work experience. We can't all command $20 -30/hr salaries out of college, let alone H.S. Sorry.

My mother stopped paying my way at 14, save room and board. I worked a paper route, and later stocked shelves at a supermarket after basketball season. I loaded trucks overnight for RPS (a ghetto UPS), bounced and bartended. I dropped out of school for accounting at Baruch as it wasn't what I wanted to do, got a delivery job for snapple while still working at niteclubs, and moved out at 22 never to look back. I know people in their 30's that still live with their parents. Can't cut the cord.

This feel good society has turned out adults that expect everything to be delivered to them on a silver platter, minimal effort involved. When they're criticized, they'll whine, quit, go to HR, threaten to sue, etc. Everything but improve themselves a a response for such criticism.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Sure. Young adults expect to go right into high paying jobs, like it's beneath them to stock shelves or flip burgers for minimum wage. Parents are giving their children whatever they want, like X-Box, PS3, designer clothes, a late model car for their 18th b'day.

There have been plenty of crybabies at every place that I've worked. NSLIJ is one of the top hosp. based 911 providers in NY, but many would gripe about anything and everything, as if the place was a craphole.

At my current employer, which is known around the country as a stellar dept, also has it's share of whiners. When I first got on the job, I couldn't fathom how this was possible, as some would kill their own mother to get on here. I've figured it out, though. There are those on the dept who have never held a serious job in this field, or maybe never had a serious job period.

Parents need to push their children into crap jobs so they can learn a strong work ethic and the value of a dollar. Things are viewed differently when you are required to pay for your own car insurance, clothes, dates, etc.

I've repeatedly witnessed the attitude of "they're not paying me enough to work like this. If they wanted me to work harder, they would be paying me more". Guess what, when you take a job, you're expected to be productive and perform at a high level. YOU chose to work there, so pay your dues. If you want to command a higher salary, increase your education and work experience. We can't all command $20 -30/hr salaries out of college, let alone H.S. Sorry.

My mother stopped paying my way at 14, save room and board. I worked a paper route, and later stocked shelves at a supermarket after basketball season. I loaded trucks overnight for RPS (a ghetto UPS), bounced and bartended. I dropped out of school for accounting at Baruch as it wasn't what I wanted to do, got a delivery job for snapple while still working at niteclubs, and moved out at 22 never to look back. I know people in their 30's that still live with their parents. Can't cut the cord.

This feel good society has turned out adults that expect everything to be delivered to them on a silver platter, minimal effort involved. When they're criticized, they'll whine, quit, go to HR, threaten to sue, etc. Everything but improve themselves a a response for such criticism.

I don't really think that it is fair to put all young adults into this description. True, there are many (too many) who expect to be treated like kings all throughout their life. Than there are those who expect the world to revolve around them. I am not saying that these people don't exist.

However, not all young adults should be put into this category. Not everybody expects to be treated like a king. Not everybody expects to get a high-paying job right after school. Not everybody thinks that they deserve a good job.

Take me for example. Do I expect to be treated like a king while I work? Nope. Do I expect to to be paid what I want? No. Do I think that hard work is important, and that I need to earn my pay? Yes! Do I think that I am "above" anything when I am at work? Not really. I may think it, but I NEVER say anything about it. I just do what needs to be done.

I currently work as a karate instructor (been working there for the last 3 years, since I was 16). I worked hard, and I was promoted to the next level of instructor relatively quickly. So I am a fairly high ranking instructor. I am not the highest, but I am not the lowest either. Sometimes, I am asked to do menial tasks, such as cleaning the bathroom, watering plants, etc.. I have NEVER complained about this to my boss, and I have NEVER refused to do anything. Do I think I am above such tasks? Sometimes. But they are just thoughts. Do these thoughts affect what I do? No. Never have, never will. Does this mean I am perfect? Not in the least. Does this show I am a hard worker? In a way (I am, by the way).

Now, I am not saying that no young adults are spoiled, or think they are above menial tasks. In fact, I have a friend who is just like the young adults you are talking about 46young. He thinks he deserves to only do things that he wants to do. He thinks he is above menial tasks. And they are not just thoughts. I really believe he is the type of person you are talking about. At least, that is the way he makes himself sound. It annoys me to no end. I just want him to suck it up, and do it.

For me, money is not a thing that decides how hard I work. In fact, I volunteer many places, and I work hard there, too.

Do I think that everybody should automatically be respected? No. I think they need to earn that respect. Do I think that everybody should be treated with respect (kindly)? Yes, until they give you a reason to treat them otherwise.

This is all I am trying to say: not all young adults should be lumped in together. Many are spoiled. But others (myself, paramedichopeful [at least, it seems], and others) seem to know that hard work is important.

/rant

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
When I was referring to young adults, I was referring to the majority, the status quo of today's society. It's likely that the older adults who think the world revolves around them were reared in much the same fashion as the teens/20 somethings to which I was referring.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
MedicHopeful, I really hope you do continue in your education to become an EMT, or whatever it is you aspire to be. You have a wonderful outlook and an attitude that shines through your posts. EMS could definitely benefit from more 'advocates for respect.' -- Isn't that the point of EMS?

Thanks. That means a lot.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
When I was referring to young adults, I was referring to the majority, the status quo of today's society. It's likely that the older adults who think the world revolves around them were reared in much the same fashion as the teens/20 somethings to which I was referring.

Understood.

ruprgnant

Forum Ride Along
lack of humor

i think from the sounds of things you just have a lack of humor medic , alot of things seem to just be messing with people and at points some people just don't get it.... no matter how many times you tell people sometimes they just don't get it.... the only way to get it thru to them is to just beat it into them... with an ASP

8jimi8

CFRN

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This thread is years old. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.