lets talk about gloves....

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I'm having a problem finding gloves (disposable) We use nitrile only in our service. The smalls don't fit. The mediums are huge, like fall off, cant feel thru them huge. I need like a small-fat, or a medium-short. The small latex were perfect, there just isnt enough give in the small nitrile for my chubby little man-like fingers.

I think we use McKesson right now, but I will be pleading to use a diffferent brand if only I can find one to recommend!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I was one of the last ones that used latex. I liked how the medium ones fit my large hands perfectly. I find that I just can't get a good fit in nitrile, as the elasticity isn't there. I don't have any tips or advice, but I know how annoying it is!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Erin, I have a similar problem with gloves (small is too small, medium is way too big). The best fit on nitrile I've had has been from the Cardinal Health Esteem line. Have had similar fits from both the Stretchy Nitrile and the True Blue Stretchy Nitrile. Unfortunately, we don't use these in my division. (sigh)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I buy my own. Started out because I wanted Pink gloves. Then after I lost so much weight I was like you, in between sizes. Small was to small, medium was to big. These are just right....

I get them from Top Quality Gloves.

nitraflex_pink.gif

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I buy my own. Started out because I wanted Pink gloves. Then after I lost so much weight I was like you, in between sizes. Small was to small, medium was to big. These are just right....

I get them from Top Quality Gloves.

nitraflex_pink.gif
Do you get reimbursed or is that a personal purchase?

reaper

Working Bum
Kimberly-Clark makes a Grey nitrile glove that is one of the best I have ever tried. A lot of hospitals are going to them and a lot of EMS services are switching to them. I can not remember the name, right now, but they are the only grey one that they make.

They stretch nicely for hard to fit hands. They are thin enough to feel through them well. But, they are sturdy enough that they don't tear easily.

I buy my own boxes, for services that don't have them. I am pushing for the change!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i bought my own gloves once becuse i wanted black gloves. when they ran out, i promptly decided the cost wasnt worth the benefit. however for me it was asthetic. im a spot on medium.

i also miss latex. nothing will ever fit like latex.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm totally digging the pink gloves; I just got my pink stethoscope last week. :p

I also have a Pink UltraScope Steth, my trauma shears are Pink, and my ink pens have a pink case. Nothing like color coordination!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I dont really care about my gloves, but now that I think about it,
I'll just come out and say it... when I find a kind of gloves I like at a hospital, I take a box, or two, or three, until I can get there again.
My current favorite is the Syntrile pf (I know, some hate them!). Their large fits my hand perfectly, they are easy to don (as opposed to some of the other nitrile gloves), and although I am colorblind, I like the blue. They are also easy to find-- I am at a hospital that uses them just about daily, and my company has started buying them for our supply room.
Although I can never find them, and they arent worth me buying for myself, I really like the longer, thicker ones-- that reach mid-wrist and never rip. They are remarkably comfortable, and if I were working for a FD, I would consider pressuring my boss into getting them...

We really do need to put this into perspective. These are gloves we are talking about. They have little role in patient care-- they are protection for us. I really need to spend less time thinking about gloves, and more time sleeping. Please, please excuse the nonsensical nature of this post, I had many calls last night and today, and a large midterm tomorrow.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Kimberly-Clark makes a Grey nitrile glove that is one of the best I have ever tried. A lot of hospitals are going to them and a lot of EMS services are switching to them. I can not remember the name, right now, but they are the only grey one that they make.

They stretch nicely for hard to fit hands. They are thin enough to feel through them well. But, they are sturdy enough that they don't tear easily.

I buy my own boxes, for services that don't have them. I am pushing for the change!

I swear, I never thought that gloves would ever be something I could drool over, but man, those clark grey nitrile ones get me all sorts of happy.

Such a perfect fit, such a cool color, so comfortable, so so easy to slip on and all without nasty powder, and they do not dry out your hands

oh gosh i cant contain myself.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
hmmm... since I live less than 5 miles from the Kimberly Clark main office and a majority of their plants I may have to go in search of some of these mythical wonderful gloves.

reaper

Working Bum
Good, Tell them to up their production! They are hard to find sometimes!!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hey, EMT student, try this:

When you change gloves you prevent carrying your stuff or another pt's stuff to your current pt as well as covering your own little grabbers. Kapish?;)

You guys know my take on latex allergies. We still use them and after twenty years still no allergic reactions except one caregiver, and then never demonstrated.

reaper

Working Bum
I had a partner that had a bad allergy to latex. If he even touched it, he would break out in a bad rash. He was the worst i have seen for latex!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
We use Medline Aloetouch Gloves at work. I really like them. My biggest complaint with other nitrile gloves is that they tear too easily, but I have yet to tear through a pair of these gloves. They also really work as far as the whole hand-moisturizing thing goes. My hands are in better shape than they were before I got this job, which is my first in the medical field, and started washing my hands 800x as much as I had been previously.

The aloe doesn't smell or leave any residue either.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Has anyone ran into a partner that's allergic to nitrile with a patient that's allergic to latex? I'm assuming the partner would be automatic driver but what if it's a EMT/medic service and the medic is allergic to nitrile.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Maybe my work can get some of those good gloves y'all mentioned.

My beef with nitrile has been based upon the cruddy ones they get us.

On some brands of latex I turn the powder or whatever dark brown after about five minutes, grosses my cohorts out. Since I also corrode watch backs and eyeglass frames, I figure it's a warning of some sort.

reaper

Working Bum
Has anyone ran into a partner that's allergic to nitrile with a patient that's allergic to latex? I'm assuming the partner would be automatic driver but what if it's a EMT/medic service and the medic is allergic to nitrile.

You would wear latex gloves with nitrile over them!;)