LA County Enough is enough!!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Where I work is.

I understand to an extent where the OP is coming from. However unless you leave that part of Cali nothing will change. There isnt a reason for it to change.

How much do yalls basics make?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
How many places are such that just being an EMT (in contrast to being in management or being involved in the educational side in a manner that requires current practice, etc) is a career?

Texas, 38k to be a Basic in some places

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Where I work is.

I understand to an extent where the OP is coming from. However unless you leave that part of Cali nothing will change. There isnt a reason for it to change.

Acadian is the highest paying private in Texas, outside of them. Medstar and a few Counties pay well enough for a career.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
Around here we are fire based so if you are an EMT, its a career, the money is great. In terms of only being an EMT (private companies), no way is that a career. Those guys only make like $14/hr and they work 24 hour shifts where they are not allowed to sleep.

24 hour shifts and not allowed to sleep? In New York State, that's a violation of labor law.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
24 hour shifts and not allowed to sleep? In New York State, that's a violation of labor law.

There is no rule about sleeping, but there is ZERO down time between runs. They are often sent on transports of 10+ hours. As soon as they drop off one patient they are sent to pick up another.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
You volunteered for the job buddy, they didnt ask you. I second the others opinions. Be proactive and get into management or other proactive things.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
You volunteered for the job buddy, they didnt ask you. I second the others opinions. Be proactive and get into management or other proactive things.

Really? So because someone wasn't recruited, or isn't there against their will, it's OK for their employer to treat them however they want? Heap abuse on them, provide working conditions most would consider unethical and in many places are illegal?

While doing nothing ensures that nothing will change, the guy should be able to come here and vent among peers without being $hit on by them too.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
There is no rule about sleeping, but there is ZERO down time between runs. They are often sent on transports of 10+ hours. As soon as they drop off one patient they are sent to pick up another.

Again, labor law in NY says that there is a limit on the consecutive hours that can be required between shifts without rest. I'm pretty sure it's 16.

24 hours shifts that run constantly without a break are a recipe for disaster. It's unethical, and should be illegal. It shows that the employer doesn't give a damn for the well being of their employees OR their patients.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Again, labor law in NY says that there is a limit on the consecutive hours that can be required between shifts without rest. I'm pretty sure it's 16.

24 hours shifts that run constantly without a break are a recipe for disaster. It's unethical, and should be illegal. It shows that the employer doesn't give a damn for the well being of their employees OR their patients.

I couldn't agree with you more. That's just the way it works here unfortunately.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Where's here?

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Really? So because someone wasn't recruited, or isn't there against their will, it's OK for their employer to treat them however they want? Heap abuse on them, provide working conditions most would consider unethical and in many places are illegal?

While doing nothing ensures that nothing will change, the guy should be able to come here and vent among peers without being $hit on by them too.

Actually if you read I said he can help make a difference. And if you don't like it or they don't allow you to help change get out of it.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
LA EMS system= Boo

Infact are there any good EMS systems in CA?

Riverside does Well, San Louis Obispo, Hall in bakersfield. Where else?

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
The pay should be higher for the simple fact that we're transporting human beings. Wait, isn't that what a Taxi does? Well our human beings are sick and their family is relying on us to keep a good eye on them. If these people knew how little we were paid they probably wouldn't trust us or set foot in the ambulance.

Add to that the stress of piloting a multi-thousand dollar vehicle for 10 - 12 hours a day knowing full well that should you hit anything you could be fired.

The IFT I'm working at starts us at under $10/hour which is pretty normal and terribly pathetic. The fast food workers probably make as much and we know fast foot places get busy but who really gets hurt when your fries are taking longer than you expected?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It was the same in 1977, 78, 79, 80, 81...

terrible one

Always wandering
The pay should be higher for the simple fact that we're transporting human beings. Wait, isn't that what a Taxi does? Well our human beings are sick and their family is relying on us to keep a good eye on them. If these people knew how little we were paid they probably wouldn't trust us or set foot in the ambulance.

Add to that the stress of piloting a multi-thousand dollar vehicle for 10 - 12 hours a day knowing full well that should you hit anything you could be fired.

The IFT I'm working at starts us at under $10/hour which is pretty normal and terribly pathetic. The fast food workers probably make as much and we know fast foot places get busy but who really gets hurt when your fries are taking longer than you expected?

How many people volunteer or do it for a small stipend?
As said many times before look at the job market for EMTs/paramedics right now. Your education can be completed in 2 weeks and if you quit your terribly paid occupation I bet your management can walk outside and find an EMT to do it within a few blocks. What incentive do they have to pay more?

Joe

Forum Captain
honestly it all depends on the company your with. maybe im just not burnt out yet but i absolutely love working with my partner, the fire squads we run with treat us like were one of them, im outside driving around, and after we clear a call we are second up so we get to skip a call before were 1st up again. our pay is low but with the new year coming around the ot is starting back up. on the 29th im switching from 12s to 24s so my opinon may change lol. starting pay. 12s=12 and some change per hr. 24s its around 10. the base pay equals out to around 30k starting per year before ot shifts. thats not bad for an entry level job playing red light taxi. i will admit, i got a sweet gig with a big company. its my first emt job and im pretty lucky i am with a primary 911 company.