Ketamine

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
We just started using Ketamine to control combative/psychotic behavior. We used to throw buckets of Versed/Benadryl/Haldol at them. They would take a good nap later but it would never control the acute behavior. One dose of Ketamine And they start starring at the walls quietly. It's a real life saver. Does anyone have experience with K?

Anjel

Forum Angel
I have just seen it used in the hospital.

It was for conscious sedation for a 8 y.o who broke his radius and ulna.

I wasn't impressed, just because the kid was still yelling and moving around.
They repeated the dosage 2 times, but still couldn't achieve the desired effect.

But like I said that is my only experience with it. I think it would be wonderful to have for psychs.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
You name it buddy. RSI, dental extractions, fracture reductions, chest tubes...

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Very useful as I understand it but no experience with it. I believe our service either just got it or is looking into it.

I too have seen psych patients who bounce benzos off like bullets off superman.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My one experience with Ketamine includes a 3yo with a bloody hand doing the thousand yard stare at me and saying "Hello" in the creepiest voice ever.

My agency just replaced Etomidate with Ketamine for RSI due to the shortage... should be interesting.

OP
OP
Craig Alan Evans

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, Ketamine is used extensively for pediatric induction and conscious sedation. We haven't delved into that realm yet but it may be down the road.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My one experience with Ketamine includes a 3yo with a bloody hand doing the thousand yard stare at me and saying "Hello" in the creepiest voice ever.

My agency just replaced Etomidate with Ketamine for RSI due to the shortage... should be interesting.

I had a 4 yo in the ER once who had a fake thumbnail up behind a turbinate. The versed made him very loving. He spent the half hour after the nail was out of his nose gazing lovingly at his mom, petting her face and saying "Mooooommmmy>.....I looooooooove yooooooooo."

I love kids on drugs.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Having made an off topic comment, I feel compelled to answer the initial question.

Working in these backwoods means no Ketamine. For whatever reason, we only carry our EMS council's drug box and are limited to what they want to carry for all the providers across 9ish rural counties with two small cities.

Progression to stocking our own drugs is slow. Like slower than your 9 year old dawlding over homework on a Sunday night slow.

jwk

Forum Captain
I have just seen it used in the hospital.

It was for conscious sedation for a 8 y.o who broke his radius and ulna.

I wasn't impressed, just because the kid was still yelling and moving around.
They repeated the dosage 2 times, but still couldn't achieve the desired effect.

But like I said that is my only experience with it. I think it would be wonderful to have for psychs.

Then clearly the people at your hospital had NO clue what they were doing. Ketamine doesn't "not work". My guess would be that they were significantly underdosed or didn't have the IV in.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Two pearls for ketamine. Airway secretions can increase significantly, so in the event of visualization issues, (or dental work) premedication with a small dose of atropine may help.

Also, be prepared to manage vomiting if you're using it for PSA. After learning the hard way, I now preemptively give zofran.

Older children and adults may benefit from small doses of midazolam to prevent emergence delerium. Basically, takes the edge off a bad trip.

jroyster06

Forum Crew Member
We us it for excited delirium, RSI (or etomidate, our choice), and for dissociating pt's for procedures.

The IM dose takes awhile for full effectiveness. Usually When i use it for excited delirium its the IM dose as soon as they are sedated enough get an iv ASAP and get ready to give more just because the IM does not work nearly as well as IM...obviously.

It also causes a lot of oral secretions, minor suctioning will probably be needed. I have been wondering if nebulizing atrovent may work to dry secretions instead of using atropine that way you avoid extra tachycardia, but its not in our local protocols.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Provided that you're outside the relative contraindication zone, .5mg of atropine isn't gonna do much. A lot of times, you get a paradoxical parasympathetic response, and don't see any tachycardia.

Ketamine is gonna Jack up their heart rate anyway.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Ketamine seems to be getting a lot of hype these days. Though, I think it has some potential uses, I worry that it is being adopted without much thought. Is there any evidence that ketamine is better than a benzodiazepine for severely agitated patients? Is there any evidence that ketamine is superior to etomidate? Of any EMS carrying it, how many are studying it?

Doczilla

Forum Captain
I don't think its sudden hype, I think we realized how underutilized it is.

The issue with etomidate is that it does not provide any analgesic properties. Outside of the induction window, maintence sedation is required with analgesia. (Propofol/fentanyl, midazolam/fentanyl, etc) For most EMS providers that use etomidate, they are usually at the hospital before this is an issue, or have some type of maintenence sedation protocol. Serial doses of etomidate are not an option. They learned that lesson the hard way in burn units.

Ketamine provides both anesthesia, and profound analgesia. It's not a wonder drug by any means, but this it does well.

For chemical restraint, I wouldn't say that one drug is superior over the other. However, there are benefits of inducing a complete disassociative state, although doses as high as 5mg/kg IM may be needed.

Basically, if you want to knock them on their a$$ instead of just taking the edge off, ketamine is the drug. I don't see many anti-psychotics used in EMS.

Another German

Forum Probie
Hello,

in Germany the usage of (S) Ketamine in combination with a benzodiazepine (usually Midazolam) is quite common. Often used for fractures and also unstable trauma patients with low pressure. I never used (S) Ketamine for any kind of agitated patients. Might be the problem that it is forbidden for this usage by the producer.

GorillaMedic

Forum Probie
We have ketamine in our protocols for RSI and excited delirium. I've personally only used it for RSI and found it works pretty great—with a few caveats. It takes a little longer to hit than etomidate does; we wait for evidence of sedation before pushing paralytics. We've seen a few instances of brief, transient laryngospasm (that seems to clear up after a few seconds). In severely hypertensive patients, our medical director wants us to also push versed to counteract the effects of ketamine on BP.

Overall, though, ketamine seems to work pretty well. Our dose is 1-1.5 mg/kg IV (usually, we just give the same amount as our succinylcholine) for RSI, 5 mg/kg IM for excited delirium. What are the rest of you using for dosing?

clearblueskies

Forum Probie
We use the CRAP out of it on our aircraft and not just for sedation. Let me let you in on a little secret that many physicians, services and even pharmacists don't yet know about this EXTREMELY old drug. It can be used in subdissociative dosing for analgesia that is 1000 times better then Dilaudid, Fentanyl or Morphine. The dosing for pain relief is 0.1mg/kg and may be repeated every 5-10 minutes. Our protocol on our aircraft and ambulances state that this is the go to for pain relief in any severe trauma situation or any obvious fracture or dislocation. The nice thing is that it totally gets rid of the pain and does not sedate your patient, and when you have trauma with low blood pressure it can actually help to slightly increase their blood pressure. The neat thing is that it for what ever reason ( still unknown) it does not artificially increase the blood pressure of a normotensive or hypertensive patient! As far as sedation, people are always afraid that it will cause reemergence phenomenon and that can occur. However we use it for sedation and induction during RSI about 10 to 15 times a month and we might get one person a month who ends up with reemergence, and this is easily taken care of with 1-2 mg of ativan. Just some useful information.