Juggling Paramedic School and work as an EMT

GothicTupac

Forum Ride Along
The nearest (accredited) paramedic program near me is at Riverside Community College, but the class meets Monday-Friday from 9am-6pm and this goes on for 12 months. Is it just me or is that ridiculously tough to manage while working as an EMT? Managing work schedule, sleep, school work, studying for exams, and basically no real downtime for a year. Does anyone have any advice? I really want this, but I really just don't think I can handle that.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Try to find out more info about the program. I have never heard of a program that is Monday-Friday for the full 12 months. More than likely it is Monday-Friday until didactic is done (a couple of months).

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Try to find out more info about the program. I have never heard of a program that is Monday-Friday for the full 12 months. More than likely it is Monday-Friday until didactic is done (a couple of months).

My program was like this for the first 6 months, then it eased off a bit, but your still gonna have another 600 hours or more clincals/field internship also. minimum national standard is around 1250 clock hours

OP
OP
G

GothicTupac

Forum Ride Along
My program was like this for the first 6 months, then it eased off a bit, but your still gonna have another 600 hours or more clincals/field internship also. minimum national standard is around 1250 clock hours
were you working as an emt and going through your paramedic program at the same time? and if so how hard was it. i'm really intimidated by the thought of no sleep and still having to be out driving an ambulance AND keeping my mind focused in class (and out)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I did it, but not full time. I actually knew I was leaving my full time job in broadcasting to return to school to become a medic, so I banked enough money to live on while in school.

My medic program ran didactic and clinical/field time concurrently, so I had very little off time for work, but I picked up a 24 at least once a week through medic school. It was a goo time to study and have my partner quiz me with flashcards. I don't think I could have worked a regular schedule during medic school though. We were just to busy with class, lab, ER an medic unit ride time.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
were you working as an emt and going through your paramedic program at the same time? and if so how hard was it. i'm really intimidated by the thought of no sleep and still having to be out driving an ambulance AND keeping my mind focused in class (and out)

nah I went to part-time. I am not sure I could have done it fulltime during the classroom portion.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have had employees stay full time as EMTs working 12 hour shifts 3 days a week and going to medic school for 4 days a week. They were either at work or at school and had no time for family or a social life at all. But they made it.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We have had employees stay full time as EMTs working 12 hour shifts 3 days a week and going to medic school for 4 days a week. They were either at work or at school and had no time for family or a social life at all. But they made it.

This is exactly what I did. It was tough but it wasn't that bad. My program only ran from late Aug - early June. You can do anything for 10 months.

OP
OP
G

GothicTupac

Forum Ride Along
that isn't my option. The class is 5 days a week 9am-6pm. They only offer one class per year. I'm probably just gonna save for a year and then try to make it through somehow by only working maybe one shift or something.. idk

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
There are other programs in Southern/Central California that are only 3-4 days a week. If you will not be able to make it through the program either physically or financially due to the 5 day a week ordeal, then maybe you can look at programs further away. I worked full time as an EMT during my program (Bakersfield) as did over 1/2 of my class, and we all passed. The key is to get hired somewhere that has a lower call volume so you will have time to study. Also, look for counties where EMTs work primarily 48 hour shifts if you need to work full time. It is a lot easier to study when you are at a station versus a roadside post. Like many paramedics will tell you, working full time during medic school sucks, but it is not impossible if you do it right.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
that isn't my option. The class is 5 days a week 9am-6pm. They only offer one class per year. I'm probably just gonna save for a year and then try to make it through somehow by only working maybe one shift or something.. idk

Look into other programs. Not all programs are 5 days a week. Some programs are as little as 2 days a week.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Or transfer to a night truck if you're determined to go to the five day a week course. You'll be up for over 24 hours at a stretch at least one day but it's doable.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Find a course that is 2 days a week. The program I went through and also another one I now teach for are Friday evening for 8 hours and Saturday days for 8 hours.

There are plenty of programs in California with a realistic schedule for the adult learner with work and familial obligations.

phideux

Forum Captain
Is it Monday thru Friday, or Monday and Friday???
When I went to Paramedic school, we were basically in class 2 days a week, in the hospital one day a week, and on an ambulance one day a week. This was just the Paramedic portion of school, and went on for a year.
During that year of school I worked a part time job, and ran as an EMT-I on the rescue squad, and we ran alot on the squad. That year me and my partner racked up over a thousand calls.
Juggling it all can be done.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I hate to say this, but nearly all the experienced EMTs in my Paramedic class have failed or quit, there's only a couple of us left with significant road experience. I've seen it written on here many times that EMT experience is almost irrelevant in Paramedic school, but I didn't really believe it until I saw it first hand.

You may have to choose between working as an EMT and doing Paramedic school if the hours don't mesh.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver

No it's not 5 days a week for a year. 1st semester Mon-Thurs with 1/2 day wednesday. 2nd semester 3 days + clinicals, 3rd semester 2 days+clinical and that usually takes your right into internship. BTW, you have to get there at 0700 for "PT".

Angel

Paramedic
I did it, first semester we met something like 25 hours a week (3 day split) and days I wasn't in class I was working (40+ with OT) it was extremely difficult, and you will have NO social life, I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have to based on the fact that I think I could've preformed a lot better BUT its doable. just stay focused and use your downtime wisely.

clinicals and field with also ease up a bit because hopefully you spend less time in class too, but if not then theres a bunch of downtime you can study and ask nurses/medics for tips ect.

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
The school I went to had a shift friendly class. They taught the same thing on Mon,Tues then another class on Wed,Thurs.. Fridays were make up days for anything you missed or wanted more one on one time with instructors. You had to attend a day 1 class (Mon,Tues) and a day 2 class (Wed,Thurs) a week. I managed to get through it while doing my rides on free days while working a 24/48 schedule. It sucks regardless but has to be done. Shop around and find a schedule you think YOU can do.. If the schedule conflicts with preexisting obligations the chances of you quitting are higher. ;)

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Now, don't nobody throw rocks at me, but there are on-line programs available.

I don't recommend them for everyone, but if you are willing to put in the time and self-study you can get your cert.

<ducking for cover>

newmedic33

Forum Probie
I'm doing an online accredited program (percom) you gotta work harder to get the info to stick but it's definitely doable and I work full time for a fire dept and as an emt basic 24 hour shifts but we have a modified Kelly schedule so I have a lot of days off, gets a bit hectic with overtime and work bu I've been doing good so far, if you want it bad enough anything is possible.