jobs before EMS

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Tried looking for older threads and didnt find anything related. Its interesting to see what people did before ems. I worked for a major instrument retailer, after 4.5 years of working there and I have realized that its time to bounce. Quit my job in October so that I could focus on school and thats it. As of now I am waiting for my state card to get here and gonna apply at more places.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
What about you?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Sandwhich "artist" as we were called

Aquarium store

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
First job was at a local pumpkin patch and Christmas tree farm owned by my god parents. They have bouncy rides there and I was one of the "ride attendants". I also did first aid there.

My second job was at an event EMS company.

Third job is at my current 911 ambulance company.

Fourth job is at my college as an EMT skills instructor.

Note: I only have jobs 3 and 4 now.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Among other things, I was a lab tech in various microbiology labs, and a dance instructor.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Union Carpenter.
Professional volly.

med109

Forum Crew Member
GEEZ, I have done all kinds of things.
-Worked as a waitress when I was a teenager.

-Then worked at a assisted living center as a housekeeper, latter as an CNA at the same place. Went to EMT school during this time.

-Began working part time for local ambulance, still CNA, and bartending on days off.

-Quit CNA, still @ ambulance, and bartending, began working at a pipe supply company. Was offered full time day shift on ambulance and they would pay for EMT-I class so I quit pipe supply.

-Still bartending, went to school, working full time days at ambulance, do the bookkeeping for husbands plumbing company, and became a mother. Quit bartending, and began working at the jail as a nurse in the evenings and weekends.

-Now I work full time ambulance, also am the manager of the ambulance, and do the books for plumbing company, and full time wife and mommy.

Yeah I don't sleep much.

BiggestLittleEMT

Forum Probie
I've had plenty of jobs.

First I worked at the local YMCA as a referee for basketball and soccer, then I moved into aquatics where I was able to gain more hours as a lifeguard, and then I started teaching swim lessons there. I had to leave there when that branch went bankrupt and they sold the building.

Then I worked at a retail store and a pet store (ridiculously stupid jobs, I know).

Then I worked in a pizza parlor.

Next I got my real estate license and worked for a short while as a realtor's personal assistant to learn the ropes and by the time I was getting started on my own the housing market crashed big (about 2007).

Then I went back to my roots and worked for the city as a lifeguard and swim instructor. That pool had to be shut down also shortly after.

Then I worked as a substitute teacher which was cool for a while, but then I started having some really bad classes one after another and I rarely do that anymore.

Now I work minimal hours as a courier for a local business, and hopefully getting hired in EMS soon!!!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Grocery store clerk in high school
Military nuclear engineering
Private security / private investigator
911 dispatcher / Jailer
Animal control officer
TSA
Armed security
Satellite TV installer
ISP technician / tower monkey (technically after I got my job in EMS)

Last edited by a moderator:
I delivered beer for 5 years, from age 18-23.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Before EMS?

Nothing.

With EMS, many.

Come to think of it...

I still have more than 1 job. I just can't seem to reduce it from 3-4.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
I delivered beer for 5 years, from age 18-23.

Overall a more admired profession than the current?

I was a professional seasonal Toys R Them employee.

Gas station guy.

Boy Scout Camp for 15 years running.

10 years in the residential and employment supports of adults with Developmental Disabilities.

The last one gave me a very solid understanding of how to talk to people with cognitive delays. And a strong disliking of SNF staffs that talk to pts like children.
The 40 hour training on dementia and Alzheimer's probably helped too.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Had to throw that Union in there? ;)

:rolleyes:

I was a non-union carpenter before that. Only the latter provided healthcare, retirement and higher wages though...

Mind you I lasted 6 months in the carpenters union... trade unions are such ridiculously political establishments. I went back to school while waiting for the phone call from FDNY. Thankfully because of that I now never have to take a math or english class again. (until I need a masters)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
O

Boy Scout Camp for 15 years running.

You mentioned EOAs, this wouldn't be in Little Rhody would it? I spent a week at Yawgoog every year growing up.

In high school I caddied. Carried two bags for 18 holes, made 100 in cash. But boy did it suck.

Also worked a garden supply/power equipment place. Threw around bags of dirt, built snowblowers and mowers, and delivered things in a pickup without a working speedometer and crap brakes. Also got very good at selling organic grass seed to wealthy suburbanites.

Now I work for my college's sports medicine department, spending most of my time working with the D1 hockey program. When I'm not at school I work for a private ambulance company in Boston.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
You mentioned EOAs, this wouldn't be in Little Rhody would it? I spent a week at Yawgoog every year growing up.

I've said too much.

But if you've been there since 1997, we've probably met.
Where'd you stay?