Is Ridryder still alive?

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
+1 to coins.

Rid came off as an arse, plain and simple. There are plenty of ways to get your point across without demeaning and alienating a whole group of people.

Vent has the same exact views as rid, but I had never gotten a sour taste from her post. She doesn't come off as a "do it my way" type of person, even though she IS female :p

Tact goes a long way in getting heard. Doesn't mean I disagree with rid, just hate how he said it.
+1 to vent then

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
+1 to coins.

Rid came off as an arse, plain and simple. There are plenty of ways to get your point across without demeaning and alienating a whole group of people.

Vent has the same exact views as rid, but I had never gotten a sour taste from her post. She doesn't come off as a "do it my way" type of person, even though she IS female :p

Tact goes a long way in getting heard. Doesn't mean I disagree with rid, just hate how he said it.

Yeah I just recently learned that vent was a female.

Summit

Critical Crazy
+1 to coins.

I don't feel that Rid was more harsh. I greatly appreciate Vent's posts, just like Rid's.

The admins told Vent to get lost just the same as Rid, just so everyone knows where Vent went as her posting rate falls.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't feel that Rid was more harsh. I greatly appreciate Vent's posts, just like Rid's.

The admins told Vent to get lost just the same as Rid, just so everyone knows where Vent went as her posting rate falls.

No we didn't...despite what you think. It was their choice, and their choice only...not ours.

Summit

Critical Crazy
No we didn't...despite what you think. It was their choice, and their choice only...not ours.

you can spew that line all you want. you can even convince yourself of it, but really your message is "stop telling it like it is or get lost"

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Got any proof of what you're stating, summit?

I'm not picking sides, but hate when people spew something as fact, and don't provide info.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Rid stands for higher education, he advocates for it, sometimes he snaps at everybody's moaning about not getting respect and he gets quite blunt about it; "You ain't doing the work it takes to GET respect!"

Let him rant on, you know why?

Because he puts his money where his mouth is. He teaches, teaches and teaches. Most of his posts have been offering his experience and support to anyone and everyone who walked in the door.

No, he ain't perfect, but he's a human library who's willing to share all he knows of his specialty fo free.

Why squeeze a bargain to death?

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Rid stands for higher education, he advocates for it, sometimes he snaps at everybody's moaning about not getting respect and he gets quite blunt about it; "You ain't doing the work it takes to GET respect!"

Let him rant on, you know why?

Because he puts his money where his mouth is. He teaches, teaches and teaches. Most of his posts have been offering his experience and support to anyone and everyone who walked in the door.

No, he ain't perfect, but he's a human library who's willing to share all he knows of his specialty fo free.

Why squeeze a bargain to death?

you could ask rid a fairly dumb question, and as long as it had some educational merit, he gave a great answer.
the only people who seemed offended were the paragods the whackers and the EMT's who thought they were the be all end all

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
I don't want to attribute qualities to posters who are not present to confirm or deny their beliefs, but I take everything online with a grain of salt; I know that sometimes opinions can appear a little more harsh than they really are in print.

That said, I like how knowledgable some of these guys are, and if they come off as abrasive, there is no obligation for anybody to read/respond to those posts. Whining to admin about someone's attitude in a forum is like tattling on a kid for running too fast on the playground. Yeah, he might hurt himself, but you could just get out of the way.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe he took a break. It's just the internet.

Sometimes we can get too caught up in our discussions. My rule is and remains, the second the various forums start effecting me negatively when I'm doing something else I take a break for a few days to weeks and refocus on life.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
In case you are confused, I am firmly in Rid's camp. I've learned lot from him and the other now absent educated and experienced types. I frequent here less because of it and post more at the other place.

Rid helped inspire me to further my education, even back when I had no greater expectations in EMS.

Does anybody know what other forums they are on?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
+1 to coins.

Vent has the same exact views as rid, but I had never gotten a sour taste from her post. She doesn't come off as a "do it my way" type of person , even though she IS female :p

So long as you don't disagree with her, she's a great person. If you do disagree, you'd better put your cup on and bring a LOT of evidence to back up your opinion. Otherwise, your balls will be in a jar on her desk pretty quick. She's a damn fine resource here (we may disagree on some "politics" but she has at least my tacit respect and a small degree of loyalty, even if she doesn't realize it) and I've learned a lot from her, but I still miss Ridryder.

Does anybody know what other forums they are on?

The one that subscribes to the theory of quantity (of advertising revenue) over quality of the posts. The same forum that is best described as "10,000+ monkeys and still no Shakespeare".

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
No we didn't...despite what you think. It was their choice, and their choice only...not ours

As I've been told time and again by the mods, it's not what is said but how it's taken and how it's said. I sure have felt that "Stop slapping sense into the newbies" attitude from you guys- with all respect due you because of you position- and it does come across kind of like how Summit describes it: dissent is not to be tolerated and feelings are more important than what should be the true purpose of a forum like this- learning from our peers. Granted, I will give you that I deserve about 30-50% of the "knock it off" warnings I get for being a little too personal in my responses, but at the same time I've been dinged for things that I would stand up and say in front of any of my peers.

Peers bicker, peers argue, and they hurt each others' feelings. I've seen doctoral degree holding scientists have each other by the coat lapels during arguments in bars at conferences and I've heard words used in academic debates that would get me immediately banned from here for repeating. Actually I've seen a full out fist fight among cardiac arrest researchers in Stavanger, Norway (would up handcuffed on a curb until the cops sorted out who was involved and who wasn't). Why is it that similar discourse (not the physical violence part) is not at least tolerated in a field that needs it more than any other because of the open door hiring and training policies and the minimal entry and testing standards? I understand we are striving to be an exemplar, but at the same time there comes a point where the debate equivalent of a boot to the head is the only recourse likely to result in progress of any sort.

I'm not really taking sides one way or the other, because I've seen both appropriate and appreciated responses (such as telling a new member that I may be many things, but I'm not childish because I pointed out the risks of his goals) and possibly excessively heavy handed responses to more or less innocuous comments (infraction and moderator review for telling an EMT student to calm down when he posted about a state EMS inspection). That said, all in all, I like the way this forum is run, but still think the subtle encouragement- intentional or unintended, whichever is the case- that has cost us many of our senior members here is to the detriment of everyone, even those who may not appreciate getting taken to task. Hell, I've been put in my place by VentMedic on a few occasions and as much as it hurts my pride to have that happen, I am a better person and provider for it.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
+1 to coins.

Agreed. I like the debate, but not once did he ever produce a shred of EBM to back up his position, at least when we differed in opinion. Vent on the other hand will lead you by the nose to the evidence to back up her position, I'll take that anyday. Just my opinion of course.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
As I've been told time and again by the mods, it's not what is said but how it's taken and how it's said. I sure have felt that "Stop slapping sense into the newbies" attitude from you guys- with all respect due you because of you position- and it does come across kind of like how Summit describes it: dissent is not to be tolerated and feelings are more important than what should be the true purpose of a forum like this- learning from our peers. Granted, I will give you that I deserve about 30-50% of the "knock it off" warnings I get for being a little too personal in my responses, but at the same time I've been dinged for things that I would stand up and say in front of any of my peers.

Peers bicker, peers argue, and they hurt each others' feelings. I've seen doctoral degree holding scientists have each other by the coat lapels during arguments in bars at conferences and I've heard words used in academic debates that would get me immediately banned from here for repeating. Actually I've seen a full out fist fight among cardiac arrest researchers in Stavanger, Norway (would up handcuffed on a curb until the cops sorted out who was involved and who wasn't). Why is it that similar discourse (not the physical violence part) is not at least tolerated in a field that needs it more than any other because of the open door hiring and training policies and the minimal entry and testing standards? I understand we are striving to be an exemplar, but at the same time there comes a point where the debate equivalent of a boot to the head is the only recourse likely to result in progress of any sort.

I'm not really taking sides one way or the other, because I've seen both appropriate and appreciated responses (such as telling a new member that I may be many things, but I'm not childish because I pointed out the risks of his goals) and possibly excessively heavy handed responses to more or less innocuous comments (infraction and moderator review for telling an EMT student to calm down when he posted about a state EMS inspection). That said, all in all, I like the way this forum is run, but still think the subtle encouragement- intentional or unintended, whichever is the case- that has cost us many of our senior members here is to the detriment of everyone, even those who may not appreciate getting taken to task. Hell, I've been put in my place by VentMedic on a few occasions and as much as it hurts my pride to have that happen, I am a better person and provider for it.

Saved me a lot of words.

Too many people get their feelers bent online, which is rather stupid given that it is known to be a rather insensitive medium.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
lets send out a rescue party for Rid - Mountain Res-q is on it!

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
I may not agree with how Rid says things, but if I were in deep :censored::censored::censored::censored:, I'd sure want him working on me.

thowle

Forum Crew Member
Life is not fair. Life is not easy. Life is not nice. Get over it. Who cares if the administrators told him to get lost? Who cares if the administrators encouraged him to overlook the others on here bashing his posts? Does it really matter? -- No, it doesn't.

He is not here right now, possibly by choice, then again possibly by something that was forced (we all work in EMS, and I'm sure you don't have any issue understanding what I'm saying).

Did he hurt your feelings? Did he make you mad? Did he make you sad? Does anyone else in the world do that to you? Get over it and learn from it!

Constructive criticism, being rude for no reason, etc, whatever it may be is something you need to learn to deal with... can't go around getting bent out of shape just because something doesn't go your way, or because someone is making you mad... chill, think it through, analyze WHY it's making you mad, WHAT you can do to overcome it, and then proceed to ACT.

Something I too need to understand and practice? Sure enough!

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I imagine we will be starting another thread soone called "is VentMedic" still alive?"

When looking at this situation, I ask myself what is the result of the policies on this forum? Speaking personally, I have moderated the tone of my responses. When I see something that strikes me as profoundly stupid or offensive or juvenile, etc. etc. etc. I refrain from a drop kick to the head and resort to mild irony, sarcasm, etc. Usually, the idiot goes away as opposed to starting some of the huge flame wars that were a large part of the conversations here. (and darn that was entertaining)

I am more apt to post stuff that I am not 100% sure of, responding to things I wouldn't if I thought I was going to be called out in front of the gang for missing some of the finer points.

Bottom line - a lot more dialogue, but with more crap to wade through if you are looking for good answers to questions.

I think the quality is still here. There are great posters on this site that reply with very useful information. Nonetheless, I miss Rid and I am sure I will miss Vent too.