Is Ridryder still alive?

Summit

Critical Crazy
The one that subscribes to the theory of quantity (of advertising revenue) over quality of the posts. The same forum that is best described as "10,000+ monkeys and still no Shakespeare".

That's a pretty good description of EMTSh*tty, where you have to pay to use chat and god forbid you disagree with the mods. They may allow more latitude for directness of comments, but questioning authoritah like I have in this thread would get you permbanned over there.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
lets send out a rescue party for Rid - Mountain Res-q is on it!

I would be 90% happy to organize the Search Effort. I will need some assistance at the ICP (Logistics, Planning, Operations, etc.) I know Summit would be glad to assist... and I will also need WarDance and Lucid. While we are tracking down Rid, I will even look for Bossy.

However, as far as some of the other notable that are no longer around, or whose presence is seldom... ya'll are on your own... my search effort is suspended when it comes to some... <_< I have the exact opposite opinion as Linuss... blunt and honest is one thing that is needed and Rid provided... rude, obstinate, and always itching for a fight (no matter if that fight is justified) is NEVER needed from those claiming to be professionals... and those ones IMHO are just as bad as the whackers and noobies that seem to be breeding in even increasing numbers on the forums... But, being an educated person doesn’t give you the right to be an azz… If being educated means that you turn into someone like that, well then, who wants any of that? If education means that you stopping being a decent human, then count me out…

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
On further reflection, in additional to my earlier post:

While there is still quality here, what we are now missing, and I think it is a tremendous loss, is the knowledge and experience of two people well beyond what we see in our extremely narrow view of health care; paramedicine.

One of the things I miss about working in a hospital based system is exposure to advanced diagnosis and outcomes. Once we drop the patient off, especially in a busy system, how often do we get to find out exactly what happened to that patient? And I mean the thinking process of doctors and diagnosticians, the end result of our field interventions, (is that thing we did really useful? could we do this technique differently? ) and how did the patient do?

With only part of the picture, we wind up feeling warm all over about the wrong things, thinking we did a good job because we followed protocols and/or worked within the collective wisdom of our peers. Think about all those EMT-Bs putting on 15lpm via NRB for every medical patient and then being all upset when medics rip it off the CO2 retainer.

This is what Vent and Rid were trying to give us - a much bigger picture than we would normally be exposed to. And the result - angry, insulted EMS because how dare they get short with us when we obviously know everything we need to know.

This is really really sad.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
he was blunt, and rude at times..... BUT.... it was always done at an appropriate time! I have no problem with someone being blunt or rude.... so long as its called for. And some of the whacker on the forum needed his rude and blunt remarks.

I for one miss him... and would be happy to go on the SAR team with Summit and MT-RES-Q

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I think the real problem is that it's hard to find well-educated, experienced people in EMS who aren't suspicious of the rest of us, for reasons this board has gone over before. I can see they're so aggressive. But even if it's understandable, it's still pretty over the top. I remember one occasion where I was called an internet fake because I claimed some experience with a population in question and still disagreed with one of our more educated posters. Because everyone who knew what they were talking about would always agree with them, right? That's not how most fields work, but it seems so rare in EMS to come across other educated people that I can see how someone could get a skewed point of view. And why some people who are new to the field, or in a position where they're used to having their opinions challenged, would assume they're all just arrogant blowhards.

That being said, would I go whine about how my feelings are hurt? No. It's just the internet... if anyone cares all that much, they need a thicker skin and a more interesting life offline. I'll miss the good input, but only because I don't mind ignoring the attitudes and drama that can come with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
On further reflection, in additional to my earlier post:

While there is still quality here, what we are now missing, and I think it is a tremendous loss, is the knowledge and experience of two people well beyond what we see in our extremely narrow view of health care; paramedicine.

One of the things I miss about working in a hospital based system is exposure to advanced diagnosis and outcomes. Once we drop the patient off, especially in a busy system, how often do we get to find out exactly what happened to that patient? And I mean the thinking process of doctors and diagnosticians, the end result of our field interventions, (is that thing we did really useful? could we do this technique differently? ) and how did the patient do?

With only part of the picture, we wind up feeling warm all over about the wrong things, thinking we did a good job because we followed protocols and/or worked within the collective wisdom of our peers. Think about all those EMT-Bs putting on 15lpm via NRB for every medical patient and then being all upset when medics rip it off the CO2 retainer.

This is what Vent and Rid were trying to give us - a much bigger picture than we would normally be exposed to. And the result - angry, insulted EMS because how dare they get short with us when we obviously know everything we need to know.

This is really really sad.

Dido to that.
very well put.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Unfortunately, there is a difference between being very blunt, straightforward and brutally honest (which I don't have a problem with and Rid did do quite a bit) and being a jackball just for the sake of being a jackball. For instance, a rather prolific poster who used to give out loads of good info while being rather...unpleasant, now seems to be doing nothing more than trolling based on almost all of her most recent posts.

Doing the former isn't wrong and can still help given that the criticism is still valid and often constructive. And if it rubs some people wrong, that's really just to bad. But doing the latter...it serves no purpose.

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Unfortunately, there is a difference between being very blunt, straightforward and brutally honest (which I don't have a problem with and Rid did do quite a bit) and being a jackball just for the sake of being a jackball. For instance, a rather prolific poster who used to give out loads of good info while being rather...unpleasant, now seems to be doing nothing more than trolling based on almost all of her most recent posts.

Doing the former isn't wrong and can still help given that the criticism is still valid and often constructive. And if it rubs some people wrong, that's really just to bad. But doing the latter...it serves no purpose.

I think i know which poster you are referring too

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief

Amen to that. Using education as a soapbox, or worse a blunt instrument to beat others into submission does nothing to further the goals of those of us who are striving for better education in EMS, not just for ourselves, but for the entire industry. In many ways it may in fact achieve the opposite. This is one of the reasons I don't post my qualifications. I am proud of them, however what matters is what I do for my patients and my industry. Furthermore, the quality of the post is by no means in proportion to the amount of purported education.

Aside from the, one can have a robust discussion, or argument even, without having to resort to personal attacks and snide remarks about education. These kind of attacks merely show an intellectual laziness; they are the last bastion of those with nothing constructive to add.

Whilst it may be a shame to lose a valuable resource from these boards, there comes a point where the incessant ad hominem attacks get too much. A little holiday may be something we all need on occasion, and there are doubtless others who can provide equally valuable information without appearing to feel the need to denigrate others on the board.

Summit

Critical Crazy
There weren't incessant ad hominems that I saw.

Sometimes a bit of attitude is warranted.

Usually it comes when the congenial and forthright presentation of information is being rejected due to ego.

Some people have very thin skin... I think they don't last long in EMS and when they do, the only due in the absence of those able to question their follies.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Rid and Vent often did post informative posts but I have their attitude to be trollish. They seemed to look for fights with posts when none were warrented.

They haven't been banned so they choose to not post. I am indifferent to their being here or not.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I think some people see what is within them.

Firm dispersion of incorrect ideas can seem harsh when someone has their ego checked, even by proxy.

Not every allowance of knowledge needs to be preceeded by "I have the greatest respect for you but you may be slightly mistaken on a small point, please consider the following."

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Been awhile since I have been to the site, I quess I've become somewhat of a troll myself. I usually drop in now and then to see if anything new is up. The things I looked for were posts by Rid or Vent, I personally do not give a flying rip what attitude they portray be it at me or someone else, I'll take the knowledge that they have gained over the years and use it to my benefit....

I don't really have an answer for this site and I wont pretend to but Rid and Vent were 2 of the more knowledgeable people on this board and it has been stated that they have NOT been asked to leave by the admin. But for goodness sakes lets grow up and quit worrying whether they were jumping down our throat and just learn what we can.....Lets all get a little better about not having to have the upper hand Vent and Rid included if they so choose to come back. I for one hope they do.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Rid and Vent often did post informative posts but I have their attitude to be trollish. They seemed to look for fights with posts when none were warrented.

They haven't been banned so they choose to not post. I am indifferent to their being here or not.

+1. The importance of education needs to be discussed, but the constant nagging about it becomes tiresome and nauseating after a while. After hearing the same message and same argument numerous times it just becomes overkill and gets tuned out.

On the other site, just for kicks and giggles, I spoke about opportunity cost regarding the financial benefit of going the tech school route and getting in the field quicker vs going to college and delaying compensation for a few years. I wanted to see what would happen if I shifted the emPHAsis from education to personal finance with one thread. It was amusing.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I agree with everyone that educational posts from people with a lot of experience in a specific area are beneficial. I also agree that some of these educational discussions have not happened in a neutral way. I personal have felt more than once that there have been some very judgmental attitudes that have come up, which is detrimental to the whole thread.

I know that there is a big push to eliminate "whackers" so EMS can be a "real profession", and that discussions about boots, pants, steths etc are belittling to people who are "true professionals". Frustration with people discussing these and other similar topics seem to be used as an excuse for some people to be judgmental towards new and less educated members and members who have different opinions. Rather than educational, some posts come off as "You don't know anything, I know everything, and anything you say is wrong because you don't have as much education/experience as I do" which is not conducive to a good discussion. Someone may learn something, but they are left with a bad feeling towards the person who made the post, which makes them less likely to listen to them in the future.

I've also noticed an undertone in some posts that makes the poster come off as having an attitude that their way/opinion is the only right one and any further discussion is futile, which I don't think is conducive to an educational environment either.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Allow me to come back and say this...

I have spent the last little while reading some posts from days/weeks/months ago and I will say I do see a lot of attitude from a poster..... I am a member of another forum not related to EMS and if you get out of lane you are quickly put back into it.....THIS IS AN EMS FORUM, DO NOT COME ON HERE AND BASH EMS AS THOUGH NURSES ARE BETTER!!! If someone wants to lend their education to me well and good and suggest ways to make EMS more professional is great but this is not a nursing forum.....

Summit

Critical Crazy
I've also noticed an undertone in some posts that makes the poster come off as having an attitude that their way/opinion is the only right one

Are you surprised? The very nature of this profession invites a lot of type A personalities.

What people don't realize is that by being type doesn't guarantee thick skin, much less with the non type-As

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I thought I was of thin skin.

But apparently I am not. The posters being spoken of never seemed to troll the site, although their mannerisms could be abrasive. I was never offended by them, nor did I become "nauseated" by their posts. Most had lots of truth. Of course, some are more interested in furthering professionalism, systems, and knowledge than others.

I think a lot of people just take it very personally and become offended. I'm glad I didn't and don't. Think I'm wrong? Tell me. I have learned more from Rid and Vent than most of the others on this forum put together, and I believe their attitudes could help a lot of underperforming systems.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
aside from the, one can have a robust discussion, or argument even, without having to resort to personal attacks and snide remarks about education. These kind of attacks merely show an intellectual laziness; they are the last bastion of those with nothing constructive to add.

+1.