Is it who you know?

ChewyEMS

Forum Probie
I'm curious....
How important is it to "know" people when looking for a job after graduation? I know making a good impression is important, but I had been hired at our hospital here because I knew the director of the department and he was able to attest to my abilities and character where required schooling and expericence were missing.

I'm curious if "knowing people" where you want to be hired is a benefit to perspective ems folks?

Thanks for the insight and advice!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No and yes.

For the records it's not about who you know.

But in the real world it is about who you know.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think it's really about networking, and capitalizing on the relations you already have, or working to mobilize new professional contacts. We are in an industry that is tremendously social, with a fairly stable workforce that trades jobs fairly often...

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
No and yes.

For the records it's not about who you know.

But in the real world it is about who you know.

+1

I also agree with what emt.dan said. It's about networking.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Who ya know... or who ya blow...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I got an EMT job in a competitive market without knowing a soul at the company that I am working at, so it can happen. I'm surely not alone either. You just might have to work harder, but it's not always about who you know. The most important part is how you present yourself. You could be buddy buddy with a company's owner but if you come off like an arrogant slob, good luck getting hired.

My other job I did get through networking with my instructors and would not have gotten without the networking, so I will not discredit its importance.

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
If it's who you know, I think it's really who you know, in some cases. If you are best friends with someone who is generally considered a weak point in the team, you may get hired, but how will you be treated after that?

On the other hand, if you are best friends with someone who is a great member of the team, that can help you get your foot in the door, even if the place isn't technically hiring right now. When they way "we'll keep your resume on file" do they mean the circular file, or the "bring this person back for an interview" file?

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Like everyone else said, Its not a necessity but I will always be an advocate of networking...Its kind of hard not to when your in and out of ERs all day and passing other agencies in the hallways. In today's times, it helps to have someone "put in a good word" from the inside. Especially to those candidates who have no prior EMS experience and lack years of fancy credentials on their resumes.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's who you know.

When there are hundreds of candidates for a handful of spots and they're all similarly qualified you are more apt to get a job if you have someone dependable who can step in and can vouch for you.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
To an extent it is who you know.

I know of a few people here lately that have gotten jobs with us; sometimes skipping the line due to networking with or knowing current employee.

Always be meeting new people and being positive. You never know how it will pay off.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
It can definitely have a huge part in the hiring process. I know it did for me. The company I work for wasn't hiring medics at the time I was hired, but since I made some good connections with a couple of the supervisors during my internship, they put in a good word for me and I got hired.