Inside Combat Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I caught the first episode last night on National Geographic, and I was blown away. Folks, this is not entertainment. It is a real-life documentary of USAF Pararescue Jumpers in Afghanistan, and it does not pull punches. Most of it is shot via helmet cameras, and it is pretty harrowing.

I'd recommend watching it for anyone who wants to be a military medic, regardless of service or nation.
**WARNING**, not for the squeamish.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Definitely a good show. Been looking forward to it for a while, glad it didn't turn out to be garbage.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Got it on the DVR to watch sometime this week.

A few people were talking about it this morning and turns out our medic that just got back from deployment was flying from the same base as those guys when the series was being filmed.

Super neat stuff. If I was younger I'd try to do it.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Definitely a good show. Been looking forward to it for a while, glad it didn't turn out to be garbage.

That's pretty much what you can look forward to as an Army flight medic, Robb.

DPM

Forum Captain
When I deployed I saw RAF (Royal Air Force) Medivac and USAF Pararescue, but no US Army types. I was told it was because their Aircraft used the red cross and thus were un-armed, making them useless in Helmand. Any truth in this?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
USAF combat rescue is definitely armed . (Hooah 129th).

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

When I deployed I saw RAF (Royal Air Force) Medivac and USAF Pararescue, but no US Army types. I was told it was because their Aircraft used the red cross and thus were un-armed, making them useless in Helmand. Any truth in this?

Truth.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
watched it last night, very good show.

are they using blood substitutes in the military yet?

The studies on those have not been promising.

The military has the ability to use what it refers to as "a walking blood bank" and is one of the few places that transfuse whole blood and not a combination of blood components.

Besides, if the British attempt at making synthetic blood from stem-cell lines works, it will completely negate the need for these products.

Based on past results, it is far more likely to work than the synthetic products.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

No.. They just go into the chow hall or USO, and yell out a blood type they need.

My old platoon had three O- soldiers in the same squad. The one time it was needed, TOC simply put out an all-call and our battalion's five O-s showed up at the aid station.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
My old platoon had three O- soldiers in the same squad. The one time it was needed, TOC simply put out an all-call and our battalion's five O-s showed up at the aid station.

Good thing they all had sense enough not to jump on the "Pre-D train-up tattoo bandwagon".. :D We had so many back in '05 who thought it would be oh so cool to get inked (exposed) before they shipped out. They never thought about not being eligible to give blood..

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Just watched it, very interesting. It's a tough job they have to do for sure.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Total job envy boner...not even gonna lie!

BSE

Forum Probie
watched it last night, very good show.

are they using blood substitutes in the military yet?

As mentioned...no.

The J's and other USAF CASEVAC assets will fly with whole blood if they are working in an area with a bloodbank (Bastion does).

Whole blood has been very valuable with initial resuscitation of battlefield trauma over the last decade.

If blood is not available, colloid solutions are used in 500cc boluses until a total of 1000cc, then normal saline or LR from there. The aim for BP is to have it titrated to about 90ish systolic. *This only after all major bleeding has been stopped.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Total job envy boner...not even gonna lie!

Agreed.

Always dreamt of swooping down from the sky sitting on the floor with my legs hanging out of the side door of a 60!

Shooting the minigun in flight is a close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.