Inside Combat Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbornemedic11

You did what?
When I deployed I saw RAF (Royal Air Force) Medivac and USAF Pararescue, but no US Army types. I was told it was because their Aircraft used the red cross and thus were un-armed, making them useless in Helmand. Any truth in this?

True. See back in 1538, the US and a few other nations, which no longer exist, were dumb enough to sign this well intended, but outdated and useless document, called the Geneva Convention. It pretty much handcuffed our infantry and gave the advantage to our enemies. One rule states that any vehicle, aircraft or watercraft displaying a Red Cross or dedicated as a Medevac, can not have crew served weapons on board. So your medic better be a damn good shot with his M-4, from 500+ yds, from a moving helicopter.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
True. See back in 1538, the US and a few other nations, which no longer exist, were dumb enough to sign this well intended, but outdated and useless document, called the Geneva Convention. It pretty much handcuffed our infantry and gave the advantage to our enemies. One rule states that any vehicle, aircraft or watercraft displaying a Red Cross or dedicated as a Medevac, can not have crew served weapons on board. So your medic better be a damn good shot with his M-4, from 500+ yds, from a moving helicopter.

Apologies for being nitpicky, but my history nerd is about to show. You're a few hundred years off on the Geneva Convention. First was in 1864, but the one we typically reference when talking about the Geneva Convention occurred in 1949. The US didn't really exist in 1538 either. I'd say you might be thinking about the Magna Carta as another big historical document, but 1500s are about three centuries too late for that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

mycrofft

Guys I need some advice! I have no prior emergency medicine experience and am one step away from swearing in to ANG as an Aerospace Medical Tech. I am fine with blood and good with and love watching this show but how do I know that I will be able to keep a level head and handle the major gore and trauma I am sure to encounter as a Flight Medic/AMT in action? I would hate to commit to this job only to find out that in real life I pass out with major wounds and such.

Thanks!

Aerospace medics , I believe, have nothing to do with the PJ's except give them immunizations and DNF's ("Do Not Fly"), which make them and the PJ's natural enemies from the PJ's point of view. Maybe the ROLE 2 uses them differently than stateside? (Of course).

mycrofft

Just take the red cross off the copter and arm it. PJ's are not medics, they are combat troops with enhanced medical abilities and responsibilities. They don't go in with peashooters.

And any medic is allowed to defend himself, his patient, and his facility and logistics, with lethal force if necessary.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
... PJ's are not medics, they are combat troops with enhanced medical abilities and responsibilities...

or are they medics with enhanced combat abilities and responsibilities...:unsure: when they are embedded with other units are they not there to fill the medic role? they way I look at it is over 24 months of training 9 of them will be medical.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
double post

airbornemedic11

You did what?
Originally Posted by airbornemedic11

Apologies for being nitpicky, but my history nerd is about to show. You're a few hundred years off on the Geneva Convention. First was in 1864, but the one we typically reference when talking about the Geneva Convention occurred in 1949. The US didn't really exist in 1538 either. I'd say you might be thinking about the Magna Carta as another big historical document, but 1500s are about three centuries too late for that one.

Apologies for using sarcasm.

11bangbang

Forum Probie
When I deployed I saw RAF (Royal Air Force) Medivac and USAF Pararescue, but no US Army types. I was told it was because their Aircraft used the red cross and thus were un-armed, making them useless in Helmand. Any truth in this?

you were in helmand province which is held down by the usmc and uk together. certain branch's get better equipment and assets. However, OVER in RC EAST(ontrolled by the army),in thetangi valley climbing mountains,breathing in dirt...we got something called good ole blackhawk (uh60) and yes they are armed and yes they have regular ARMY medics on board. and never fly alone. always in 2 pairs. for coverage/support, but even then....it still doesnt always make it on the ground :sad:

everyone thinks the hollywood marines do all the fighting..HA! yeah okay. when pigs fly.....

mycrofft

Hahaha. Good on you!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
you were in helmand province which is held down by the usmc and uk together. certain branch's get better equipment and assets. However, OVER in RC EAST(ontrolled by the army),in thetangi valley climbing mountains,breathing in dirt...we got something called good ole blackhawk (uh60) and yes they are armed and yes they have regular ARMY medics on board. and never fly alone. always in 2 pairs. for coverage/support, but even then....it still doesnt always make it on the ground :sad:

everyone thinks the hollywood marines do all the fighting..HA! yeah okay. when pigs fly.....

I have a buddy that flew MEDEVAC in a Army National Guard unit right along side the PJs in Helmand province as well. Definitely not just PJs and RAF.

11bangbang

Forum Probie
I have a buddy that flew MEDEVAC in a Army National Guard unit right along side the PJs in Helmand province as well. Definitely not just PJs and RAF.

yup, majority of aviation crew are warrant officers and national guard. for the army at least.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
yup, majority of aviation crew are warrant officers and national guard. for the army at least.

Sorry should have clarified. He's a flight medic in the 1/168th DUSTOFF unit. So someone flew him in Helmand :D

11bangbang

Forum Probie
Sorry should have clarified. He's a flight medic in the 1/168th DUSTOFF unit. So someone flew him in Helmand :D

its a national guard unit. most NG dont see real intense combat or leave the wire, verus the active duty troops...especially light infantry...now the medics that are attached to the infantry..have a pretty rough job as long as you can hack it.

DPM

Forum Captain
its a national guard unit. most NG dont see real intense combat or leave the wire, verus the active duty troops...especially light infantry...now the medics that are attached to the infantry..have a pretty rough job as long as you can hack it.

The ANG PJs from Moffet might have something to say about that...

And when I said we didn't see US Army units I was just speaking from experience. I didn't see any USN / USMC medevac either.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

You would be sorely mistaken. Who are you and what sort of training do you have again?
Also, I see that Fort Benning still does not mandate proper grammar.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

:rofl:

Really? I'd love to see you tell the guys from my agency that are in that unit that.

You know why the Army now requires EMT-P for 68WF3s? Because the 1/168th made the active duty DUSTOFF units look like fools clinically.

The PJs were generally the cover helo for them while they snatched patients. They use PJs as the snatch for missions labeled high risk.

Your information is very flawed, my friend. I'd check your facts before you start offending people with your statements.

I'd take a 1/168th medic over a combat vet active duty 68W any day of the week. Except for rocket...I'd trust him haha

Last edited by a moderator:

11bangbang

Forum Probie
You would be sorely mistaken. Who are you and what sort of training do you have again?
Also, I see that Fort Benning still does not mandate proper grammar.

mm not goin to brag about anything, nor care for how i spell over a computer bud. i got more combat experience than you, more schools, i can tell you that. Fort Benning is the backbone of the military inf train. so in reality stfu. I chose infantry because you ACTUALLY FIGHT the war.

did too many 11bz punk you while you were in???
awww how cute.

11bangbang

Forum Probie
:rofl:

Really? I'd love to see you tell the guys from my agency that are in that unit that.

You know why the Army now requires EMT-P for 68WF3s? Because the 1/168th made the active duty DUSTOFF units look like fools clinically.

The PJs were generally the cover helo for them while they snatched patients. They use PJs as the snatch for missions labeled high risk.

Really? you think pjs actually go on patrol and look for enemy fighters? ya didn't think so. no i don't really care about the army anymore, i'm not in bud.
any military personnel is used poorly as a number. not for any specific reason DERP.
cool story about your agency bro. i know more "basic" 68w, 18yr olds that have performed more medical aid than a paramedic...in a warzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.