Inside Combat Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPM

Forum Captain
Any tips on where to catch it online?

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I admit to having expressed a very low opinion of military medicine in the past, but these guys are top notch.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I admit to having expressed a very low opinion of military medicine in the past, but these guys are top notch.

PJs are markedly different than most other military (or any other) EMS providers.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Thanks to some folks posting on this thread, I was able to catch the episodes on YouTube. Suffice it to say that if I were able to rewind the clock about twenty years, I could easily see myself wanting to become a PJ. In a way, if I had been born about twenty years later, and some circumstances had been slightly different, I probably would have given it a serious run.

Somehow, I have a very strong sneaking suspicion that I am simply too old…

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
COMCAST-OnDemand has episodes 1 and 2 as of today. Watched both. No ads.

I especially like that this show filmed then showed the basic humanity and the deployment sense of humor of these guys, who as a class in person tend to be physically and competitively very imposing. I wish they will do an overall show about this, since may of the PJ's belong to Guard units and are in on some extremely impressive saves during peacetime as well, using their COMBAT SHADOW version MC-130P's to refuel their PAVE HAWK helos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/129th_Rescue_Wing

This unit holds the over-all USA military record for distance over-water to a rescue and away from base to rescue (from Mountain View CA to, respectively, off of Hawai'i, and off the west coast of Mexico, each of which required finding fuel on the ground for the return leg.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
COMCAST-OnDemand has episodes 1 and 2 as of today. Watched both. No ads.

I especially like that this show filmed then showed the basic humanity and the deployment sense of humor of these guys, who as a class in person tend to be physically and competitively very imposing. I wish they will do an overall show about this, since may of the PJ's belong to Guard units and are in on some extremely impressive saves during peacetime as well, using their COMBAT SHADOW version MC-130P's to refuel their PAVE HAWK helos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/129th_Rescue_Wing

This unit holds the over-all USA military record for distance over-water to a rescue and away from base to rescue (from Mountain View CA to, respectively, off of Hawai'i, and off the west coast of Mexico, each of which required finding fuel on the ground for the return leg.
A guy that I used to work for also worked for the 129th Air Rescue Wing. He was with them for quite a while, and eventually got himself a full-time position with that unit.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ditto but I left before we traded in our biplanes.
looping-Fokker.jpg
And definitely not a PJ.

Y Knot

Forum Probie
Guys I need some advice! I have no prior emergency medicine experience and am one step away from swearing in to ANG as an Aerospace Medical Tech. I am fine with blood and good with and love watching this show but how do I know that I will be able to keep a level head and handle the major gore and trauma I am sure to encounter as a Flight Medic/AMT in action? I would hate to commit to this job only to find out that in real life I pass out with major wounds and such.

Thanks!

Y Knot

Forum Probie
Thanks Chaz. Yes I have read the description and understand what it is about. I am actually going into the CERFP program so my squadrons response would be on something rather major within the USA. Really my goal is to take this as far as I can go and on the civilian side get to Paramedic or perhaps even ER Doc. I tend to be a 110% kind of guy which is why I want to make sure I can handle the gross of the gross before jumping in.

Walter Sobchak

Forum Probie
Guys I need some advice! I have no prior emergency medicine experience and am one step away from swearing in to ANG as an Aerospace Medical Tech. I am fine with blood and good with and love watching this show but how do I know that I will be able to keep a level head and handle the major gore and trauma I am sure to encounter as a Flight Medic/AMT in action? I would hate to commit to this job only to find out that in real life I pass out with major wounds and such.

Thanks!

Take a Wilderness EMT course, and work with a volunteer ambulance as much as possible. i saw some pretty rough wounds in Iraq, also you will prob get trigger time so make sure you are cool with that aspect. Some ambulance services will let you do ride alongs as a EFR or Driver.

takl23

Forum Crew Member
There is a show on Discovery that is now on Netflix streaming that goes behind the scenes of Special Operations and one episode focuses on PJ's. The show is called Surviving the Cut. Season 1 Episode 2 focuses on PJ's. They don't cover much medicine but they cover the physical aspect of the training quite heavily.

If you want a larger picture seek this episode out and the entire series is worth the watch IMHO.

emtblaze

Forum Ride Along
decided to give it a watch after seeing this post. Wasn't disappointing.

If anyone else is looking for it, I found it on youtube- Just search
"Inside Combat Rescue - Episode 1 "

Status
Not open for further replies.