In need of help: study partner for EMT-B in Houston

Itbeedan

Forum Ride Along
Ok so I didn't know where to post this. My name is Daniel and I'm 3 weeks into my emt-b course, I'm looking for a tutor to help me during the weekends for some one on one bc in all honesty that's how I learn the best. If anyone can refer me to anyone in the houston area would be awesome. I have used JB learning I'm trying to exhaust all channels so I can pass this course. I passed fire school with a 95 and this is a whole different beast. Thank you in advance everyone.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Ok so I didn't know where to post this. My name is Daniel and I'm 3 weeks into my emt-b course, I'm looking for a tutor to help me during the weekends for some one on one bc in all honesty that's how I learn the best. If anyone can refer me to anyone in the houston area would be awesome. I have used JB learning I'm trying to exhaust all channels so I can pass this course. I passed fire school with a 95 and this is a whole different beast. Thank you in advance everyone.

Have you tried partnering with some of your fellow students? Have you met with your instructors to go over the parts of the material you're having problems with?

OP
OP
I

Itbeedan

Forum Ride Along
I've met with my instructors on numerous occasions but she can't stay with me that long bc she teaches also a paramedic course. I stay for tutoring every chance they have it which is 2 times a week, I've talked to my fellow students also and they really can't provide help bc the work load is so much. What I'm having trouble with is basically is remembering respitory and pulse rates, oxygen delivery and probably most scenarios bc i can never think about what to do first. I know ABC's are the basis for everything and are important along with primary assessment. There's 70 of us in this class and alot of them have taken this before and before I get a chance to ask why questions are wrong or right someone has already moved on to something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In need of help

With a group that size you should try to get a study group of 3-5 or so.
If you are having trouble remembering the flow of a call make sure you know your assessment and skills sheets. Once you get more comfortable and experience you will developed your own way of doing it.... Until then know the NR or state sheets in and out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
I

Itbeedan

Forum Ride Along
Assessment kind of gets me. I guess one main problem is we go through about 3 to 6 chapters a day and I have to reread it like 5 or 6 times. As soon as maybe start getting what we read the day prior we have already moved on.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
With a group that size you should try to get a study group of 3-5 or so.
If you are having trouble remembering the flow of a call make sure you know your assessment and skills sheets. Once you get more comfortable and experience you will developed your own way of doing it.... Until then know the NR or state sheets in and out.

+1 for this. The NR skill sheets really do give you a solid foundation as you're learning and starting out.

FltMedicRob

Forum Crew Member
Here is what I would recommend, and have had success with new privates in the army world and now new EMT-Bs on the civilian side of things.

Get to know your assessment sheets hands down.
Take some clothes and lay them on your bed and make yourself an assessment dummy. Go over and over and over your assessments till you start doing them in your sleep (literally).

Make yourself some note cards. Questions on the fronts, answers on the backs. Carry them with you always. When you find yourself waiting on a bus, using the bathroom, waiting your turn for an assessment in class... take them out and quiz yourself or have someone around you ask you the questions.

Teach the subject you are having issues with to someone or something else. Heck even if its your dog or plant or the tv.

Good luck.

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
Something that helped me commit the assessments to memory (and I used this in other areas of my student life) is copying them down by hand onto a piece of loose leaf. That way you're not only reading them but transcribing, so you can guarantee a higher level of engagement with the materials.

Once you can write them without needing the original, you're good to go.

OP
OP
I

Itbeedan

Forum Ride Along
Thanks guys for the help guys. I just really need a tutor but I'm starting doing note cards and trying to memorize my assessment skills.