I'm the medic now

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone, I am knew to the forum and a brand new paramedic. I just recently obtained a full-time position and a casual on two different services. I just want to make sure I am not the only one who has/is going "Oh ----, I am the medic now". I have been a Basic for 4 years, but is still scary knowing I am the medic. Any advice?

Beyond that one of the services I am working for is converting from ALS to BLS, it is going to be medic/EMT-B, I was wondering if anyone has gone through the conversion and has any advice. Most of our EMT-B have never worked with medics and are quite wary of what is going to happen. How can I help make the transition easier for them and me?

Thanks for the advice on either or both!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife! I can't help you with the medic question but there are several people who I'm sure can.

BTW, where in the midwest are you from?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to the forum!

I would imagine that being the medic for the first time would be a weird feeling. In fact I've seen some great EMTs do poorly as medics.

I worked on a BLS unit that would respond to all calls with another full ALS unit (medic/medic). I wish I had a "Assisting ALS" course or something similar. You may even want to organize an informal one. Teaching EKG lead placements, how to spike a bag and prepare for an IV stick, and who does what during a code may be helpful for your service.

Working as a EMT-Basic, I can tell you that I always worked best and most respected Medics who would allow us to work and help on scene. Those calls also seemed to always go the smoothest.

Our county requires Medic/Medic for an ALS unit, so I can't tell you how the specific dynamics of that go.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTlife - we put the Fun in Dysfunction....

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) :) :) Welcome! :) :) :)

Well I'm an EMT working on getting hired with our service. My instructor was pushing me to go to the medic program right out of EMT class but I had WAY too much of the "oh S***" factor to go through with it.

All our rigs are Medic/EMT with the exception of a handful being medic/medic. So it's pretty much all I know, but it's a great dynamic from what I have seen. We don't have regular partners either and aside from the usual co-worker BS there haven't been any big problems with the system, everyone seems happy.

mofiremedic

Forum Probie
Welcome,

As far as the "Ooh crap, I'm in charge?" feeling, it will eventually fade some what, just remember that it's bls before als! if the S*%^ hits the fan abc's, vs, and if all else fails use med control (after all the get paid more than we do!!)
never stop learning, if you have questions ask them, and trust yourself!!!!!
you will do great, it will just take some time to get used to. ENJOY IT and remember that if you have questions, we're here for you!!^_^

OP
OP
E

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
I rode as a 2nd last night for the first time and had a run, it went very well. We are not ALS yet, but I think that helped (although not for the patient). Thanks for the advice everyone, it really helps. :rolleyes:

podmedic@mac.com

Forum Crew Member
emt4life said:
I rode as a 2nd last night for the first time and had a run, it went very well. We are not ALS yet, but I think that helped (although not for the patient). Thanks for the advice everyone, it really helps. :rolleyes:

B) Remember that you can set the tone as the provider in charge. You can be screaming inside but like the old deodorant commercial -- Never Let 'em See You Sweat.:wacko:

The best thing I can say is don't be afraid to stop everything for a second or two to get everybody re-focused (and you, too.) I find I miss more when I get too involved in patient care that others can do for me when I should be sitting back and looking at the big picture.

Also, remember the med radio (or your cell phone) is your friend:) Use medical control and don't be afraid to ask the Docs for advice when you get to the ED. They can help you be better prepared for the next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
podmedic@mac.com said:
The best thing I can say is don't be afraid to stop everything for a second or two to get everybody re-focused (and you, too.) I find I miss more when I get too involved in patient care that others can do for me when I should be sitting back and looking at the big picture.

I would like to emphasize this point, as it's one that I think we all tend to forget sometimes. Fast is slow, slow is quck.

Black Snow Slide

Forum Ride Along
I have been a Medic for 3 years and we run a P/B as 2nd city truck. I started my Paramedic on this same P/B truck.

My advise; Sit down with your partner and get him or her on the same page as you. Go threw the truck every day with them. Make sure they know what everything is, where it is kept, what you use it for, and how you use it.

Go threw you protocalls with your Basic and incourage them to ask you ANY questions that they have. 99% of EMTB dont know what your protocalls are and dont know what to expect on a call. Get into it with them. It will put them at ease, gives them respect for you and you confidence in them and yourself.

Get them hands on. Let them spike a bag at the station, (You will use it sometime that day). Let them set up the monitor for a 12 lead. Let them go thew the intubation kit. Get them to be an active member of the team. Your EMTB, by them knowing and understanding what you are doing, why you are doing it, and how you are doing it, will make you perform at your top level.

When the _ _ _ _ hits the fan, and make no mistake, it will, you will be so thankfull that you invested the time and energy into your Basic. They are the one next to you and saveing your backside, so you can save your Pt.

Be like a duck on the water. Smooth on top and paddleing like mad under water. Close your eyes when you are alone and go threw every type of call you can think of. Picture yourself and your partner. Picture how you will do every little thing on every call. Picture how you partner can be the very best assistant to you. Go threw it step by step.

All this will put you far ahead of where you are today. Use Med Controll. Ask nurses and Docs for feed back. Take it into consideration what they say but dont live by it. They have never worked a day in the streets, but they do have wonderfull insite on medical care that we need to pay attention to.After every call when you and your partner are alone, ask him how it went. What you liked. What are two things you would change next time if you had to do the same call.

Best of luck. You will be fine. Keep us up to date as time goes by. And remember if you cant save them, then god must want them, and there aint a dam thing you can do about it.