If your partner was texting and driving and smoking in the ambulance....

Tk11

Forum Captain
Would you make management aware? I'm the brand new guy so I didn't want to cause issues with new employees but... A partner I was with I noticed was texting while driving to the hospital with a pediatric pt in the back. I was in the passenger seat so I'm well aware and am not mistaken. Also rode with someone who smoked in the ambulance, which I know the company doesn't allow but again I didn't say anything being the new guy. These two things I highly don't agree with. For one texting and driving everyone knows what happens and smoking IN your ambulance? Knowing we are going to have patients in there? Should I make management aware or let it go?

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Would you please share where you work... It seems to be one thing after another

Reactions: ego

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Would you please share where you work... It seems to be one thing after another

There does seem to be this string of problems, doesn't there?

Is this guy the FTO you had issues with?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
There does seem to be this string of problems, doesn't there?

Is this guy the FTO you had issues with?

Yes it is.

Im curious, not trying to be a d**k but why is it everytime you seem to have a problem with something/someone at your company you feel the need to ask advice? It seems to be one thing after another.

To me this is common sense, smoking in the ambulance I have 0 tolerance for. If you smoke outside the ambulance I could care less. Texting and driving I don't do it myself at work but if someone I'm working with does I just say hey man do you mind not doing that? 99.9% of the time I'm the one driving (EMT/Medic) but that .01% the medic drives and I see it happen I just let them know I don't feel comfortable them behind the wheel while distracted on the phone. If I can wait till post to reply to text messages then so can you.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
A partner I was with I noticed was texting while driving to the hospital with a pediatric pt in the back. I was in the passenger seat so I'm well aware and am not mistaken.

This is something I do not understand - how can you be partnered with someone and yet ride shotgun with a pt in the back (a pedi pt nonetheless) ?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This is something I do not understand - how can you be partnered with someone and yet ride shotgun with a pt in the back (a pedi pt nonetheless) ?
The only way that makes sense to me is a NICU transfer. At my first company, we would do those, pick up the infant in an isolette with a NICU team of 3-4 nurses. My job as attendant was help load equipment, make sure the team was comfortable, and do the run form. Even with the mod there wasn't enough room for the EMT in the back so you'd just ride shotgun and let the NICU team manage the patient.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Tk11, I'm going to give you some free advice so its worth what you paid for it. This is a job that will cause you to question and compromise what you originally considered your ethics and values. The only way to deal with the things in this job is to very quickly grow some thick skin and not stress about a lot of what you see and deal with.

Over the past couple of weeks, you've made a string of threads where you seem to be having one problem after another. Learn to let this stuff go. If you don't find that possible, consider doing something else. In a lot of places, your EMT cert will qualify you for a job as an ER tech.

If you don't do one or the other, in about 6 months to a year, you will find yourself a very angry and vitriolic person who is completely miserable with your job.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
We were corrupted a long time ago (well me at least when I was a explorer). I'd take MS Medic's advice.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
I'd first go with the passive approach and mention how cigarette smoke really bothers my allergies (or something) as well as dropping an anecdotal story about "some guy I heard about got sued for a billion dollars while texting and driving an ambulance". See what that gets you.

If it was someone on the service I knew to have some mutual respect with, I'd go with the direct approach using "Dude" and appropriate inflection to get the point across. Like, "Duuuuude...really?"

As a last resort, I'd let management know. We're a hospital based EMS and do monthly "rounding" to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly. I wouldn't drop names, though. Just let management know so they might send out some reminder e-mails to the staff about safe operation of vehicles and any smoking related policies.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd first go with the passive approach and mention how cigarette smoke really bothers my allergies (or something) as well as dropping an anecdotal story about "some guy I heard about got sued for a billion dollars while texting and driving an ambulance". See what that gets you.

If it was someone on the service I knew to have some mutual respect with, I'd go with the direct approach using "Dude" and appropriate inflection to get the point across. Like, "Duuuuude...really?"

As a last resort, I'd let management know. We're a hospital based EMS and do monthly "rounding" to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly. I wouldn't drop names, though. Just let management know so they might send out some reminder e-mails to the staff about safe operation of vehicles and any smoking related policies.

Or just say you are not allowed to smoke in an ambulance due to combustible gases. Because, well you're not allowed too. If you can't figure this crap out on your own tk11 I can only imagine how your calls go with you in charge.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Act like an adult and do what you think is right. You don't need a consult to be an adult. Tell the person to stop. If they don't, go to management. Or find a new job. This has nothing to do with EMS and everything to do with making "tough-but part of life" choices. The internet is not going to help you.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
But if you have questions or need advice, please feel free to post here as that's what this site was designed for. :)
Sure. But we can't help you find the inner strength to be an adult when that's what is required. The OP knows what he needs to do.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I am surprised how many people responded to this post. No one else think this guy is trolling?

Reactions: ego

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
I would tell the guy first and give him at least one chance to act more professionally. Then I would talk to the person next in the chain of command.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Grow a pair of balls and speak up or you'll get walked over your whole life.