Identifying yourself as an EMT in Spanish

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Common sense would dictate, like most of the English speaking patients we encounter, they don't know the difference anyways. I think you'd just confuse them.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'm speaking EMT vs paramedic. I also think showing up in an ambulance would distinguish you from immigration.... Even in San Diego.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
They... The Mexicans... Know what the border patrol drive and wear if it is a problem for them. I'm pretty certain.
Not to mention, if they are seeing you they likely need help, and regardless of whether you identify yourself as medics you represent authority. Which may make them edgy already.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm speaking EMT vs paramedic. I also think showing up in an ambulance would distinguish you from immigration.... Even in San Diego.

So... "Soy La Migra" wouldn't go down too well?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Give it a shot and tell us how it turns out :)

Yea... I'm going to go ahead and recreate that Amazing Racist (link below, strong language, hence disabling the hotlink) skit. Should I do that in Bakersfield or Colton?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZu9c1nJIw

Last edited by a moderator:

Anu

Forum Crew Member
EMT in Spanish

:glare:Hello!

If you were to respond to your patient as 'EMT', no, they would most likely not understand you. You would have to respond by saying either 'Paramedico' for Paramedic, or 'Tecnologo de Urgencias (Medicas)' for EMT. I'm sure there is an abbreviated form that you could use but you would have to find out what it is.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus