Identifying yourself as an EMT in Spanish

Lifeguard

Forum Ride Along
This is a question to the native Spanish speakers.

Will a spanish speaking pt understand what I mean by EMT? If not how does one identify themselves, especially out of uniform when it's not obvious?

Additionally, if anyone has lived in mexico, what is their equivalent that I could possibly compare myself to (I'm in San Diego)?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Paramedico

More correctly, "Estoy paramedico" (or is it "soy".... I know ser is supposed to be permanent where estar is temporary, but it's a career/job).

A good intro would be, "Buenas dias, me llamo [name]. Estoy paramedico. Habla Espanol solamente? Pardon, pero, no hablo Espanol."

Translated, "Good day, my name is [name]. I'm a paramedic. Do you speak Spanish only?" Sorry, I do not speak Spanish."

Literally translated: "Good day, I call myself [name]. I'm a paramedic. Do you speak Spanish only. Pardon (think of "pardon me for bumping into you" vs "Sorry for your loss" ["Lo siento"]), but I don't speak Spanish."

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
More correctly, "Estoy paramedico" (or is it "soy".... I know ser is supposed to be permanent where estar is temporary, but it's a career/job).

A good intro would be, "Buenas dias, me llamo [name]. Estoy paramedico. Habla Espanol solamente? Pardon, pero, no hablo Espanol."

Translated, "Good day, my name is [name]. I'm a paramedic. Do you speak Spanish only?" Sorry, I do not speak Spanish."

Literally translated: "Good day, I call myself [name]. I'm a paramedic. Do you speak Spanish only. Pardon (think of "pardon me for bumping into you" vs "Sorry for your loss" ["Lo siento"]), but I don't speak Spanish."
I'll try to remember what I can from a few years back, haha. My Spanish teacher grew up in Spain, so there may be some things that are differences between Mexico (what we would most likely encounter), vs Spain.
It would be correct to say Estoy. I was taught anything that won't change in the immediate future (such as a job) is referred to as permanent.
Lo siento, just means I'm sorry. Nothing to do with loss. Lo siento por se purdido would be I'm sorry for your loss.

I can't quite remember if the last line should be pero or sino.

samiam

Amazing Member

I would go with. Hola me llamo mike. (Hello my name is mike) Soy un paramédico. (I am a paramedic) ¿Solamente habla español? (Do you only speak spanish) Or ¿habla ingles? (Do you speak english) Soy sounds much more natural to me. Ser is the appropriate verb for a occupation not estar. Lo siento pero no hablo español. (I am sorry but i dont speak spanish)
Source: Three months in costa rica studying medical spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I would go with. Hola me llamo mike. (Hello my name is mike) Soy un paramédico. (I am a paramedic) ¿Solamente habla español? (Do you only speak spanish) Or ¿habla ingles? (Do you speak english) Soy sounds much more natural to me. Ser is the appropriate verb for a occupation not estar. Lo siento pero no hablo español. (I am sorry but i dont speak spanish)
Source: Three months in costa rica studying medical spanish.

This is much better, I'm a native Spanish speaker, my first language. But everything you said it's spot on. I would go with ¿Hablas ingles? Instead of "Do you only speak Spanish?" It's a more natural way of conversing l, at least to me. A few other common questions.

"¿Que está pasando hoy?"
What's happening today?

"¿Te duele algo?"
Does something hurt?

"¿Adonde te duele?"
Where does it hurt?

"¿Tomás alguna medicina?"
Do you take any medication?

"¿Tienes alergia a alguna medicina?"
Are you allergic to any medication?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Estoy means I am here( in the first person in regards to location)

Soy means I am ( I am ..... In regards to being something or someone)

Soy paramedico. Estoy aqui para ayudar...

I am a paramedic. I am here to help.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
If you don't speak Spanish... And you introduce yourself in Spanish. Your PT may be confused. Because the only Spanish you know is how to introduce yourself. Might I suggest taking a medical Spanish class through a local agency or somewhere that offers it.
That is, if you're committed to adequately serving those who only speak Spanish.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you don't speak Spanish... And you introduce yourself in Spanish. Your PT may be confused. Because the only Spanish you know is how to introduce yourself. Might I suggest taking a medical Spanish class through a local agency or somewhere that offers it.
That is, if you're committed to adequately serving those who only speak Spanish.

When I get an affirmative, I quickly follow with "Hablo Espanol muy poquito." I might throw in a "Soy pan blanco" if it feels like the person would laugh at it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Lol

You're white bread huh?

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Little laminated card in the wallet..

We have a big Hmong population up here, someone made us little cards with an anatomic dude on one side and words like "Chest pain", "allergic", "Can't breathe" in both languages on the other side.

I can't speak Hmong.

OP
OP
L

Lifeguard

Forum Ride Along
@Hunter
@samiam

Would it be useless to attempt to try to distinguish myself from a paramedic?

I've got a lot of Spanish under my belt (minor at UCSD), but for me medicine has always been a grey area in terms of using phrases that both gather info and comfort at the same time...like most can do in their native language. Just conjugating "sentirse" can be a pain in the *** when you're on the spot.

@samiam

How did you go about studying in Costa Rica? Was it study abroad or a private program? I've been looking into different options

Thanks everyone!

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes in other countries Paramedic is the cover all term for people who work on ambulances. Reguardless of certification IIRC some of our friends from Canada and around the world there is no EMT. Its just paramedic and advanced paramedic

I know some community colleges are offering Spanish for medical workers classes I was going to take one.

But I have a Bilingual neighbor whos been teaching me Spanish overall. He told me to start reading kids books and stuff and indulge yourself like you were a child learning to speak.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you don't speak Spanish... And you introduce yourself in Spanish.

I always introduce myself in English, but when the "Um, I don't know how to say this, but I don't understand the words that are coming out of your mouth" look comes up, I switch to my limited Spanish.

Bart

Forum Ride Along
I'm illiterate in Spanish, but I say (and pardon my atrocious spelling, again, I'm kind of illiterate in Spanish), "Dispenseh me (may), por favor, los siento mucho, no comprendhe espagnol." Basically I'm saying, "Forgive me, please, very much, I don't understand what you're saying." Find someone who speaks Spanish and practice that with them until you can say it the way it's supposed to be said.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
If you're from San Diego and have the county protocols handbook (forgot who publishes it, but you can buy it from San Diego Miramar College bookstore), there's a page in the back where it teaches you elementary Spanish for locating pain, introducing yourself, etc. I believe it even includes the pronunciation.

I remembered in my EMT class, I was quizzed on a few simple terms.

If you're from San Diego and have the county protocols handbook (forgot who publishes it, but you can buy it from San Diego Miramar College bookstore), there's a page in the back where it teaches you elementary Spanish for locating pain, introducing yourself, etc. I believe it even includes the pronunciation.

I remembered in my EMT class, I was quizzed on a few simple terms.

You can also get the county protocol book from County EMS in Mission Gorge. I've used the translations before, not to my success.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
@Hunter
@samiam

Would it be useless to attempt to try to distinguish myself from a paramedic?

I've got a lot of Spanish under my belt (minor at UCSD), but for me medicine has always been a grey area in terms of using phrases that both gather info and comfort at the same time...like most can do in their native language. Just conjugating "sentirse" can be a pain in the *** when you're on the spot

Thanks everyone!

Why would it be useless? Some uniforms look like cops or security. If you work somewhere that immigration is an issue distinguishing yourself as medical would only seem to help.