I made some alterations to a popular EMS meme.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Whatcha think?

EMS60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wow that meme is horrible.... Who only goes 60 when you have lights and sirens? :rofl:

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Yes, it says, 'Get over yourself'

I don't drive any faster with L/S on than I normally do.
They only afford me the time saved by not waiting for a red light(but stopping and looking both ways, of course).

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
The only time I actually do the same stuff as doctors is when I'm sitting in a patient's house, working through an H&P trying to figure out what's going on. When we get to the ambulance and *if* we drive lights and sirens, I'm typically doing the same stuff as nurses.

I very rarely see doctors touch actual syringes or needles, or actually put patients on the monitor or sit beside them closely monitoring their condition.

Yeah, not so much on the physician thing.

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I think y'all are taking that too seriously. Though I would change the MPH. I don't even go that slow in my own car.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The only time I actually do the same stuff as doctors is when I'm sitting in a patient's house, working through an H&P trying to figure out what's going on. When we get to the ambulance and *if* we drive lights and sirens, I'm typically doing the same stuff as nurses.

I very rarely see doctors touch actual syringes or needles, or actually put patients on the monitor or sit beside them closely monitoring their condition.

Yeah, not so much on the physician thing.

You mean you don't see physicians doing the nurse's job? Division of labor and all that jazz (we also don't have limits on the number of patients we can see...).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I think y'all are taking that too seriously. Though I would change the MPH. I don't even go that slow in my own car.

You can't be serious? Do you know how many people I work with that fully believe they are as good as any doctor, their protocols just restrict their abilities...

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
I only know one person that can claim that, he has his MD from the carribians and is working in his USMLE, and even though he has his MD he doesn't use any of his MD skills as an EMT, he respects his scope as an emt.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I only know one person that can claim that, he has his MD from the carribians and is working in his USMLE, and even though he has his MD he doesn't use any of his MD skills as an EMT, he respects his scope as an emt.

So he doesn't use any of his knowledge or assessment skills that he learned in medical school while working as an EMT? Personally, I would find it hard not to do, say, a cranial nerve exam if I needed to do a neuro assessment if I was working as an EMT at this time.

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
I've only seen him do further assessments such as thyroid, heart sounds, maybe nerve examination sometimes but above that he doesn't try to intervene with anything else, my best guess is that he wants to play it safe. Emts are not allowed to diagnose I've heard of people getting fired for attempting to dx.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Emts are not allowed to diagnose I've heard of people getting fired for attempting to dx.

If EMTs don't diagnose, why waste time doing an exam anyways? Just slap a NRB on every patient and run lights and sirens to the hospital.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
I've only seen him do further assessments such as thyroid, heart sounds, maybe nerve examination sometimes but above that he doesn't try to intervene with anything else, my best guess is that he wants to play it safe. Emts are not allowed to diagnose I've heard of people getting fired for attempting to dx.

That kind of retarded to even say out loud "Emt's are not allowed to diagnose".

How does any provider perform an intervention without first forming a field diagnosis? And to say we just signs and symptoms is almost as retarded. Maybe joeblow cookbook protocol monkey thinks that way. But it dishonors the rest of us that take the time to learn more then what was touched on in the initial training.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Maybe joeblow cookbook protocol monkey thinks that way. But it dishonors the rest of us that take the time to learn more then what was touched on in the initial training.

Welcome to So. Cal. EMS. Land of the "Don't read the 12 lead, just read the machine interp."

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
That's what LA county wants. We are the official ears and eyes of the hospital but not the brain. All we do is inform the hospital how we found the patient, mental status, and opqrst sample hx. We could hint on our belief of what we think it is but not document it. That's at least what we've been told. According to the RN giving us EMS class we are trained to keep the pt breathing and living till they get to an ER.

JPINFV

Gadfly
According to the RN giving us EMS class we are trained to keep the pt breathing and living till they get to an ER.

I'm just going to openly wonder how the RN would react if he was told that his job was to wipe butts and follow the doctor's orders without thought. I bet that they'd be a lot of wailing, gnashing of teeth, and hand wringing.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Got a chuckle out of me, thats for sure