I get it wrong every time. What IS the answer?

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
I would say d for the numerous reasons stated above as far as asimurk's response I can't believe that I read that dude...I hope you weren't serious...

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
one of the early posters said that since basics can't declare a patient dead that the answer would have to be D.

Why can't your basics declare Death? I could as a Basic.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
Thank you guys! You were a huge help.

Believe it or not, I had my first interview for a private company two days ago.

And guess what scenario question I got. Yup something like the one I asked you.

I think I was able to answer it very well. :D:D:D:D:D:D

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Oops hit send to soon:

5 ways that we could declare a patient Dead as an EMT-B:

1: obvious lividity, with no pulse or respirations

2: Obvious Rigor, with no pulse or respirations

3: Decapitation

4: Transection: 3 & 4: anyone cut in half from neck to pelvic region

5: Deep Charing of the body 3rd-4th deg burns, with no pulse or respirations.

Why wouldn't a Basic be able to declare death with these obvious signs anywhere?

But I know there are places that they can't, and it is totally crazy.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
one of the early posters said that since basics can't declare a patient dead that the answer would have to be D.

Why can't your basics declare Death? I could as a Basic.

And we were taught as a basic unless the patient has amputated 3 or more limbs, decapitated, or obvious signs of death like rigor then you cannot pronounce as a basic.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm not too sure if we could with the burns or not. Never heard anything about it.

If I ever did get to go to a call like that as a basic I would be calling ALS in step 5 of my initial ;-)

JPINFV

Gadfly
And we were taught as a basic unless the patient has amputated 3 or more limbs, decapitated, or obvious signs of death like rigor then you cannot pronounce as a basic.

A patient who has 3 limbs amputated is dead?

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
ok thats how it was worded to me. But I guess common sense would come into play there. I would not assume them dead just based on the amputation. But that was part of the criteria for a BASIC to pronounce.

I have no clue the criteria for a medic. I start that class next month :p

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I would say d for the numerous reasons stated above as far as asimurk's response I can't believe that I read that dude...I hope you weren't serious...

Do you actually think he could be serious? :huh:

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
I have learned from recent experience to take nothing for granted as far as people being serious about responses...I do generally give the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
But that was part of the criteria for a BASIC to pronounce.

According to whom?

I have no clue the criteria for a medic. I start that class next month

You might want to go to another training program rather than going back to the brain trust who taught your basic class. Some more clinical experience would probably do you some good too.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
According to whom?

You might want to go to another training program rather than going back to the brain trust who taught your basic class. Some more clinical experience would probably do you some good too.
I probably do need more clinical experiance. Ive only had 36 hours on an ambulance. And I have no idea why you seem to think my education was bad. You have no idea where I went. I went to the top ranking ems academy in our tri county area. With a 100 percent pass rate for the nremt if you pass the program.

So because I was told that if a patient was clearly dead and had 3 or more limbs missing I could pronounce the patient dead as a basic. Thats wrong?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
So because I was told that if a patient was clearly dead and had 3 or more limbs missing I could pronounce the patient dead as a basic. Thats wrong?

Then it's the "clearly dead" part that matters. Depends on how you define "clearly dead", but the presence or absence of multiple amputations has nothing to do with it. I've seen multiple patients who at first glance looked "clearly dead" but were quite alive despite multiple traumatic amputations. That's the nature of combat medicine.

With a 100 percent pass rate for the nremt if you pass the program.
Passing a test that has well known shortcomings and being clinically competent are two separate things.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
Well hopefully the next 520 hours I spend on clinical s will help get me to your standards. Whatever those are. No matter what I come back and say I'm sure you'll have something to negative to say back. So I'm not even gonna try.

Maybe you should try and be a little more positive and encouraging to others instead of pushing them down all the time, because they are not as good as what you think they need to be.

I've been an EMT for a week now. Cut me some slack.

And also where I'm from in my county and where I will be working BLS is only allowed Priority 3 transfers and calls. Unless working with a medic. So I will be sure to work on my "competency" before the time comes where I will actually need to know more than how to lift a stretcher, take vitals, and give o2.

18G

Paramedic
I think its important to be up front to family with the condition of their loved one. Why give them hope, step around the question, or make the condition not sound as bad as it is?

In a cardiac arrest the heart has stopped and there is no breathing so this is what I would tell the family.... in addition to... were doing everything we can by breathing for your loved one, circulating oxygen by doing CPR, giving medication that may help restore a pulse, and giving electric shocks that may help restore a pulse.

It's important to involve the family (given they aren't hysterical) and explain what is going on without sugar coating it.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well hopefully the next 520 hours I spend on clinical s will help get me to your standards. Whatever those are. No matter what I come back and say I'm sure you'll have something to negative to say back. So I'm not even gonna try.

Maybe you should try and be a little more positive and encouraging to others instead of pushing them down all the time, because they are not as good as what you think they need to be.

I've been an EMT for a week now. Cut me some slack.

And also where I'm from in my county and where I will be working BLS is only allowed Priority 3 transfers and calls. Unless working with a medic. So I will be sure to work on my "competency" before the time comes where I will actually need to know more than how to lift a stretcher, take vitals, and give o2.

So...when you become more than a basic?

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'll me a medic in may of 2012. I am getting my associate's degree as well so it's taking a little longer.

I know my stuff. I had the highest grade in my class. Out of 30 people 12 passed.

I don't know everything. I love learning about everything that pertains to this field.

I don't take what EMT's do lightly or what medics do.

I am going to strive to give my patients the best care I can. But Mr. USA over here was pissing me off.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I would venture to say clinically competent requires that you be working both clinically, and be competent at that.

Right....which was the point I was getting at.