I didn't get in to EMS for the fights...

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
This is sarcasm, right?

Not at all, misuse of equipment could be a huge issue, especially an NRB which even when the valves are removed still has a lot of potential for c02 retention. I just use an n95 mask, or better yet when we slip into the County Mental Health facility I'll some times ask for a couple extra spit socks, to keep in my bag. They're usually generous enough to help us out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy

Forum Crew Member
Any Public Service job is dangerous. Maybe look for some hospital EMT/Paramedic positions.

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
Different situation entirely. With a drunk guy on a 911 response I'm not going to be in a locked room that PD/other resources to cover my *** won't or can't respond to within a reasonable amount of time. At least I'll often (not always, but waaaaaay more often than now) have the ability to bug out and get help if I feel I need it.

Buddy does not like to get socked up while on the clock. Subway, 7-11 or EMS...roughed up on the clock is roughed up on the clock. Matters not what the nature of the pt is.

Jeff

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
Man I think I'd like that job. A little tune up every now and then is good for the soul. :p

No job is worth your sanity or your safety. It's a job. A means to an end. Good luck in your search.

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Man I think I'd like that job. A little tune up every now and then is good for the soul. :p

I know this was sarcastic, but I'm sure if I left a part of me would miss it, even though I hate it now while I'm in the thick of it.

And I think some of you don't quite understand. I haven't just had one call where I got swung at, it is consistent, at least once a week, sometimes more, and the majority of the rest of my calls have a very real potential to become violent, and probably would if my partner and I weren't as capable as we are. There is no break between these incidents, it's psych call after psych call.

Is it like this where you all work? If so, maybe I should look at a different profession.

No doubt, I've learned a lot from this, but it's just starting to grate on me.

kermit

Forum Crew Member
I just got my EMT-B cert and looking for a job. I am glad to have read this post because,my mindset was take whatever I can get to get my foot in the door, considering the job market and all. I don't have to many options because of the area I live in, but this thread does shed a new light on things.

I was a security guard at a hospital once and got Into a situation where me and 5 nurses got our tails kicked by a 90 lb female crackhead, who ended up in a four point. However my testicles didn't feel any less bruised because we prevailed. LOL I learned that fighting and restraining a PT is two totally different situations. In a fight you can double up your fist and return fire. However letting someone rip off your nads while kid gloving them, so as not to abuse a pt is a situation in its self. I don't think I am wired to deal with the kind of stuff on every call. I got into this because I found out how good it feels to help people and make a difference during their darkest hour.It surely wasn't for the money. Like the author said if I want a rumble every call I would have went the law enforcement route. I think a policy should be implemented on the restraint issue. Something like the police, you get arrested you get handcuffs, you get a 5150 transfer you get restraints. Would be nice if the facility would use mild sedation and restraints before EMS arrives, but I guess that would be right up there with wishing for a super model for a partner. Then there would be the invention of a device to get them restrained and onto the cot without a Jerry Springer showdown .LOL Enjoyed the read although I didn't read every comment and sorry if may have just repeated someone else.

Hockey

Quackers
Check out getting some PPCT training. It won't work on everyone, but it's saved mine and or my partners butts more than once

SeanLon11

Forum Ride Along
It's all perspective. I am sitting behind a desk at work right now as an a software engineer, and fighting people in the back of an ambulance sounds like fun. Hell, I may even do it for free.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Check out getting some PPCT training. It won't work on everyone, but it's saved mine and or my partners butts more than once

I took PPCT a couple of times, but didn't like it.

I wasn't convinced that pain compliance techniques were going to be particularly useful in a large subset of the potentially violent patients I was going to meet.

I didn't think an 8 hour course was going to promote any real technique development or retention. I didn't see how it was going to be useful in 2 months, or a year.

I felt that many of my colleagues who took it became over-confident that they could deal with physical confrontations, and became more aggressive as a result. This is perhaps more a reflection of their maturity or psychological makeup than of the course itself.

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
Well, to me it sounds like this just really isn't what you signed up for. Perhaps if you were better informed before making a commitment to the job you would have reconsidered or gone elsewhere. If I were in your situation, I would be extremely frustrated and put out as well.

Having said that, you sure do have a lot of psych experience now, which will definitely help you further down the road. So all in all, seems like you've learned from the experience but it's understandably not for you and I would suggest looking for another company/provider. Good luck!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

DT4EMS would be my recommendation.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I haven't just had one call where I got swung at, it is consistent, at least once a week, sometimes more, and the majority of the rest of my calls have a very real potential to become violent, and probably would if my partner and I weren't as capable as we are. There is no break between these incidents, it's psych call after psych call.

I'm in support of you listening to yourself.

If what you hear rings true, you don't need anyone's approval to take yourself out of harm's way.

It matters not how others define harm for themselves. What matters is what you think your life and sanity and security are worth against the benefits of the particular job.

My guess is you landed in one of those EXTREME burnout situations; guaranteed to turn you into a RoboCop, regardless of your Star of Life.

Sometimes people forget that there ARE environments that some few medics get stuck working in that can breed all sorts of inhumane behaviors.

If you see this here, know it is NOT the norm and go find something a little more sane (no pun intended!).

Last edited by a moderator:

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
With 7 years of prior LEO experience, I will chime in.

If you are going through a facility, just have a blank face, do not acknoweldge anyone. Make yourself invisible to everyone but the person you are assigned to deal with.

If your "charge" is intially compliant, make every effort to enage him or her in converation. Find some way to agree with them.

The safest topic is sports. In our society, sports is the great equalizer. If the CEO and the mailroom clerk are in the elevator together, its what they discuss. Let him or her assert some opinion and convince you to change your mind about something.

A fictional refrence, watch the film "The Green Mile" and model Tom Hank's character.

My favorite tool from that is when he gets spit on, he says "Well, that one was free, the next one will cost you."

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Necropost, but I figured this belongs here, rather than starting a new thread.

I used my vacation time and took a step back from EMS altogether. I didn't think about work, I didn't talk to anyone I work with, I didn't read EMTLife, I closed all the books related to medicine that I was reading at the time.

Upon my return to work, after recommendations from a couple members here, I powered through Oliver Sacks' The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat and John E. Sarno's The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders along with going through a DVD by DT4EMS.

The time off and the educational materials helped turn my way of thinking around. Before this, I believe I had a severe lack of sympathy for these folks with psychiatric disorders and disabilities. I'd get dispatch info stating a 35 year old with diagnosed depression and think, Jesus, nut up or shut up. Not realizing that what they are feeling is very real and that there is often a very powerful trigger behind their emotions.

Working for a company that requires all patients on a 72 hour psychiatric hold be placed in four point restraints further distanced myself from my patient, to the point of almost... animalizing them. They seemed sub-human to me, just by the way we were made to treat them.

Now everything is completely different. I try a lot harder with these folks now, I spend a lot more time trying to talk to them, to help them, rather than shrugging them off as "whiners" and "crybabies" and "smelly, crazy homeless people." Yup, it seems I was a bad EMT before all this.

Suffice to say, I've had an about-face with my attitude, thanks mostly to everyone here.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Necropost, but I figured this belongs here, rather than starting a new thread.

I used my vacation time and took a step back from EMS altogether. I didn't think about work, I didn't talk to anyone I work with, I didn't read EMTLife, I closed all the books related to medicine that I was reading at the time.

Upon my return to work, after recommendations from a couple members here, I powered through Oliver Sacks' The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat and John E. Sarno's The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders along with going through a DVD by DT4EMS.

The time off and the educational materials helped turn my way of thinking around. Before this, I believe I had a severe lack of sympathy for these folks with psychiatric disorders and disabilities. I'd get dispatch info stating a 35 year old with diagnosed depression and think, Jesus, nut up or shut up. Not realizing that what they are feeling is very real and that there is often a very powerful trigger behind their emotions.

Working for a company that requires all patients on a 72 hour psychiatric hold be placed in four point restraints further distanced myself from my patient, to the point of almost... animalizing them. They seemed sub-human to me, just by the way we were made to treat them.

Now everything is completely different. I try a lot harder with these folks now, I spend a lot more time trying to talk to them, to help them, rather than shrugging them off as "whiners" and "crybabies" and "smelly, crazy homeless people." Yup, it seems I was a bad EMT before all this.

Suffice to say, I've had an about-face with my attitude, thanks mostly to everyone here.

Medicine is a journey, all of the attributes that make outstanding providers do not come front loaded after school.

We all go by different paths and have to work out different things, in order to become the best providers we can.

Already it seems, you past experiences are shaping you to be better today and tomorrow.

If it makes you feel any better, I went through the same thing with psych. Knowledge is one thing. Understanding is completely different.