I didn't get in to EMS for the fights...

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Going through EMT school, I knew a large majority of my job would involve dialysis transfers, hospital discharges, and various other non-emergent situations (strange for someone with Emergency as part of their title).

When I got hired on at my current company I quickly found out that we just flat-out do not do dialysis runs for several reasons, chief of which being the amount we charge for these runs. We don’t have very many contracts, we’re slow enough to have quite a bit of down time, just busy enough to not get bored, and are among the highest paid BLS companies in the area. I make more per hour than some paramedics here.

I struck a gold mine. Or did I? Just as quickly as I found our call volume was low, I discovered we contract with many psychiatric and mental health facilities. A large majority - I’d say 80 percent - of our runs come out of these facilities. Of that 80% I’d say a good 90% of these folks are on conservatorships, or 5150/5585 holds (California specific, order for involuntary 72 hour detention for psychiatric evaluation).

A large portion of these calls run smoothly, our patient is calm and compliant, we’re kind, and we get from A to B without incident. However, many of these folks are very unstable, one can never know what’s going on in their head. Some of these folks are violently mentally ill. I’ve been cussed at and called every name under the sun. I’ve been kicked, I’ve been punched. I’ve been scratched, bit, spit-on, pushed into walls, and slapped. I’ve been in the field for just shy of 9 months.

Thankfully, I haven’t had any terribly bad situations that we couldn’t handle; There has never been a time when I felt in any real perceptible danger to my life. I’m very careful, I always have an escape route, I always have a plan to make sure I end up on top.

I don’t think it’s my fault, I feel that my partner and I are very good at diffusing potentially violent situations and talking patients down. We’re also fairly good at noticing situations that have the potential to be violent and bugging out when necessary. But sometimes, these folks are just plain unpredictable. And more often than I’d like “bug-out, call PD” is just not an option, especially in the locked facilities we transport to and from.

It didn’t bother me at first. Logically I know these patients are often unable to control what they do. But I think my soul, my heart, whatever you want to call it, has tolerated all of the emotional and physical abuse it can.

I think I’m being broken down. I think I’m getting tired of being on threat level red every single time I am on a call. I’m sick of having to go into patient rooms with the mindset that “this will be violent” after getting a turn over from the nurses. I’m sick of walking down the hallways of these facilities having to mean-mug everyone who gets that violent look in their eye and watching my back until I’m out of the facility. I’m sick of having to struggle with people to get them on my gurney and make sure they stay there while not having a belt full of defensive and offensive tools or the training and legality to use force behind said tools.

I’m sick of fighting.

When I first noticed the signs of burn-out, I was able to console myself with the knowledge that I’d only be here for a couple years until I get through medic school. But now I’m at a loss. If I wanted to have to face the real possibility of many of my calls turning violent, I would have trained to be a police officer. I got into this profession to help people in a real and tangible way. When the response for my time is a “:censored::censored::censored::censored: you” with a swing at my face it really starts to grate on you.

I’ve noticed myself getting colder, less tolerant of psych patients, quicker to jump on the four point restraint train.

Any tips on how to deal with this? I don’t want to get frustrated and leave EMS all together. I know it’ll be better as a medic, I don’t mind what many providers would call BS calls, I enjoy them and use them as an opportunity to learn. But I’m getting frustrated at the stress of worrying about whether or not I can physically take on every patient I come across. HELP!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Actually, I never had much issue with the fights. When I did IFT, we would get physical with a patient every couple of weeks. Heck, I even wrestled someone high on PCP at one point. I got to the point where the slightest bit of aggression got taken down fast with a healthy dose of Valium and/or restraints.

I guess I'm different?

EMS, and medicine in general, is dangerous. Infact, working in medicine, you are more likely to get assaulted more than most other professions. It will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. If you haven't, pick up and read "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat" by Dr. Sacks. It puts a whole new spin on psych disorders.

2. If you feel the need to restrain these patients, restrain them.

3. Just let insults roll of your back. If yelling makes the patient happy, then what ever. I'd rather have a happy yeller than an upset hitter.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Its a shame that the facility isn't looking out for your well being by using sedation or chemical restraint, and instead, let's you fight/tussle/wrestle with these violent patients.

I did BLS IFT for a while and I was in the same boat. I put almost every psych in 4 points and I've had my share of knock down, drag out brawls in a locked psych ward while the staff simply stood and watched. It's one tough job. Now that I'm a medic, I'm very willing and very able to chemicly restrain those patients that threaten or attempt to harm me or my partner. It's easier and safer than fighting for everyone involved.

You've got the right mind set. It WILL get better. You're aware of the fact that you're being affected by the job and you're taking steps to correct it. Good for you.

It really sounds like it's time to look for a new job... but I know in Cali that's a tough proposition.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Blesse are those who see Burnout coming!

The system is impersonal and really doesn't care that much if you burn out as long as those 5150's get out of this guy's hair and into someone else's. You are the Middleman who gets eaten up in the reaction.

There are warriors amongst us plenty who can tolerate such situations; let them handle them. They are called EMS Bouncers.

As for you...Look, you've been at the job a whopping 9 months and you've already become clear on what will burn your butt out quicker than snot!

Find another option.

"Oh, NO!" You say, "the job market is lousy and I can't this and I can't that..."

Sorry, the ball is in your court and you have a choice; hold on to it and hate yourself for the hard shell you become or toss it to someone better wired for that stuff. You can see the future and you're seeing it accurately.

Medics come in different shapes, sizes and temperaments. Just because you don't fit too well into that square hole doesn't mean you have to pound yourself into it. And you don't have to feel bad about yourself either. I promise you you have a disposition that will allow you to excel in another focus of pre-hospital patient care. Rather than trying to adjust to this one, find one that works for you.

Bottom line you're tired of having to be on your guard. You're tired of being on edge and protective of your safety. These are NOT typical EMS circumstances in the volume that you have to carry them. At the very least you should merit hazard pay.

Place your focus into finding a better situation. It may seem hard at first but you'll thank yourself for saving yourself a lifetime of burnout hell!

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Linuss said:
EMS, and medicine in general, is dangerous. Infact, working in medicine, you are more likely to get assaulted more than most other professions. It will happen.

I am aware of that, but are we really so much more likely to be assaulted that I should have at least 1 call a week that goes hands-on? That's coming from a station that averages about 4 calls per rig per shift.

1. If you haven't, pick up and read "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat" by Dr. Sacks. It puts a whole new spin on psych disorders.
Just put my order in. Maybe having a new way to look at these patients will help

2. If you feel the need to restrain these patients, restrain them.

A lot of the problem is actually getting them restrained. Does anyone have any tips on restraining actively violent people? Other than the liberal use of Ativan and haldol?

3. Just let insults roll of your back. If yelling makes the patient happy, then what ever. I'd rather have a happy yeller than an upset hitter.
So true, just last night we had a gentleman who was all yell, from the time we entered his room until we dropped him off. Just give him the stone-face and try not to laugh at some of the stupid stuff he says.

Firetender's post snipped for brevity.

Thanks for all the advice. I have been putting in applications elsewhere, but not with much heart. I think the main reason I'm "afraid" to leave is I'm not sure if I could afford a pay-cut coupled with a loss of hours and seniority (yeah, our turnover rate is so high that I've only been here 9 months and I have seniority over half the people at my station). I don't want to get into medic school and get bid out of whatever shifts I need. But, like you said, the ball is in my court. Nut up or shut up, I suppose.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Ive not been assaulted on the job in my 14 or so months on the road.

Closest came was a junkie with a beer bottle threatening to throw it at us.

clibb

Forum Captain
Luckily, me and my Paramedic are pretty big guys. He's into mountain climbing and all that and I'm into hockey and Mixed Martial Arts. So we haven't gotten into too many fights with people. We have had to assist other med units with combative patients.
I did have a diabetic emergency with a guy who was 325lbs 6'8" and pure muscle. When he squared up against me ready to fight, I almost shat myself.
After 5 min of rolling around on the ground; me, my medic, and a couple cops got him under control. Once he got his blood sugar in order he was the nicest guy ever.

There's going to be pros and cons in every job you go into.

terrible one

Always wandering
To be honest it doesn't get much better as a medic. You still run those shady calls and the job does become repetitive and monontonus. If you are starting to feel this way now imagine being paid less with more responsibility. SD private medics (as you've already pointed out) make just above the poverty line, so unless you're planning on jumping states I'd suggest looking at other options either outside the ambulance for a little bit or outside EMS altogether.
Good luck

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

To be honest it doesn't get much better as a medic. You still run those shady calls and the job does become repetitive and monontonus. If you are starting to feel this way now imagine being paid less with more responsibility. SD private medics (as you've already pointed out) make just above the poverty line, so unless you're planning on jumping states I'd suggest looking at other options either outside the ambulance for a little bit or outside EMS altogether.
Good luck

Thanks,

Yeah, I am actually looking at moving out to Denver or somewhere in Texas after I get my medic cert. The only reason I'm considering Denver is the fact that I have family out there, but from what I understand, the market isn't much better there.

Monotony, I can handle, because even if I take the same patient 100 times, (we took one gentleman to IV therapy for MRSA every single day for about a month) and I didn't mind it at all, there's always something to learn, even if it's just listening to old stories from a veteran.

Yes, I do understand that a certain level of danger is associated with this job, I wasn't expecting everyone I come across to be in a safe environment with no danger to me ever and every single person to be pleasant and happy and thankful for my help, but I sure as hell wasn't planning on 3 in 5 patients being dangerously mentally ill.

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
Huge inebriate population in Denver. If you don't care to be treated poorly by your patients, this is not the place for you.

Jeff

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Good luck

One violent incident a week is a lot. That would fall under the category of choosing to continue to expose yourself to danger. A rational medic would go elsewhere. The ones who stick this out are NOT necessarily the ones in the right field. The OP is questioning the sanity of this appropriately.

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Huge inebriate population in Denver. If you don't care to be treated poorly by your patients, this is not the place for you.

Jeff

Different situation entirely. With a drunk guy on a 911 response I'm not going to be in a locked room that PD/other resources to cover my *** won't or can't respond to within a reasonable amount of time. At least I'll often (not always, but waaaaaay more often than now) have the ability to bug out and get help if I feel I need it.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Restrain all 5150 patients, if you need help ask the nurses at the facility to hold the patient down while you restrain. If they spit, give them an NRB. I do this religiously and always have. In 2 years I have never had a problem.

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Restrain all 5150 patients, if you need help ask the nurses at the facility to hold the patient down while you restrain. If they spit, give them an NRB. I do this religiously and always have. In 2 years I have never had a problem.

Exactly! You'll learn my friend that alot of the equipment has multiple purposes :)

Kerlex anyone?

JPINFV

Gadfly

There is absolutely zero need to restrain all patients under a 5150 hold. 5150 does not equate to dangerous.

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Restrain all 5150 patients, if you need help ask the nurses at the facility to hold the patient down while you restrain.

More than once at one facility, I've asked for help from this GIANT nurse behind the desk, he says "yeah, give me a minute" about ten minutes later a girl at about 5 foot nothing and just over 100 pounds shows up to "help." Not knocking on women or small people but really, dude? Get off your lazy *** and help us out.

If they spit, give them an NRB. I do this religiously and always have. In 2 years I have never had a problem.

I hope you're running some O2 when you do this...