I apologize for wasting your time...

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
Yesterday, I was at my EMT class and had a rather awful experience with some of the instructors and a few fellow classmates. My class meets every week for lectures and once a month for practical skills. I am not sure why, but one of the instructors was a complete jerk. When we were going over our skills he just sat on his phone, acted very uninterested, made no effort to help, and clearly was unhappy to be there. When I asked for help, he just said maybe if you studied it wouldn't be so hard. There was an RN of over 30 years in the class who studied religiously and had difficulties.

Other instructors on previous weekends have told me I was doing fine, but now I am being told how I won't be able to even pass the registry. I do not understand why the particular paramedic would act to incredibly uninterested and rude towards the students. That paramedic, along with others at the program (most definitely not all) seem to have a mindset of it has to be perfect or you are a complete failure because in the field errors cause people to die. EMS is serious business because your abilities may be the only thing in between life and death for a patient, but we are not in the field quite yet may I remind them.

Often, whenever I make a mistake they just tell me how I just lost a patient and then make no effort to show me the right way. It is frustrating to me because they approach education the same way they approach it in the field. The classroom is the place you should feel it is alright (to a certain degree) to make a mistake occasionally without being attacked. We need to get errors out of our system as students so that in the field we know that a particular approach does not work. Then you can show us the right way.

I had another paramedic instructor there that took her job very seriously and was one of the best instructors I had. At the skills stations she would teach in a way that was not condescending or rude. Instead of just saying things like "study more", she would offer concrete tips such as communicating with the patient by explaining what you are doing, or being more clear when you explain interventions. I was able to excel in her skill station by the end of the day because of her incredible efforts to help out the students.

Some of the other adult students in the class have been rather rude to me as well. I am not sure if it is because I am only 17 or what. I'd like to consider myself to be a nice person. If I was being a know it all and disrespectful to them in the class that would be one thing, but I most certainly am not acting that way. Like them, I am just there to learn. One asked me what I was even doing there and asked what my fisdap scores have been, so I told him. I have scored in the upper 70s (before the curve) and I am one of the top students in the class, so I feel like that is a good indicator I am taking this seriously.

Don't get me wrong though, I have met some of the most kind and caring paramedics that have been an incredible help to me. I am just a bit confused about the not so kind ones. Why even come in to teach if you are not going to make any effort to help. I understand they might not be getting a solid 8 hours of sleep, but that is kinda how it goes in EMS so don't take it out on the students who are only here to learn.

I do not want to come off as a pathetic teenager that can't take criticism however. My main focus of this post was to try and understand the behavior of the paramedics that were not so kind. It just seems so bizarre to see someone who lacked so much compassion in a field that is pretty much all about having compassion to help those in need.

If anyone experienced anything like this as a student I would be interested to hear. Thanks

OP
OP
MarilynEagle

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
Sorry I needed to vent lol. That is what I was thinking thanks.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
EMS educators, in general, are no better and no worse than instructors in any other field. No doubt you've already had plenty of good and bad experiences with teachers, and you've learned to make the best of less-than-ideal situations. Think about how you've handled those conflicts -- what worked, what didn't. You'll need to do the same in EMS.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As a whole, ems instructors tend to be worse than educators in other fields. Most of the time there is no formal education for teaching involved

OP
OP
MarilynEagle

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
As a whole, ems instructors tend to be worse than educators in other fields. Most of the time there is no formal education for teaching involved

I am starting to realize that now. It is amazing to me there is not requirements to be able to teach such things.

OP
OP
MarilynEagle

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
EMS educators, in general, are no better and no worse than instructors in any other field. No doubt you've already had plenty of good and bad experiences with teachers, and you've learned to make the best of less-than-ideal situations. Think about how you've handled those conflicts -- what worked, what didn't. You'll need to do the same in EMS.

Thank you for the advice!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I am starting to realize that now. It is amazing to me there is not requirements to be able to teach such things.

Well, I wouldn't say there are no requirements. They vary, but they do exist. If you're talking about formal education to be a teacher, you won't find many college professors who have that either. Having worked and taught in several non-EMS fields, I'd say teaching skills tend to be undervalued, and sometimes get confused with knowledge or intelligence. You could be smart and knowledgeable but still be a poor teacher.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't really experienced it in my class, I love pretty much all of the medics that teach our medic class. Many of them have some niche and will take over for our primary instructor on days we cover those topics and genuinely want to be there.

That being said, I've had ****ty preceptors in field clinicals and the ER. I just make a mental note to not go back to them and stick with the ones I know are good. If you need help after something, just go to the ones who actually want to help and don't waste your time with the ones who wont even pay attention.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
As for your instructors having very different styles of "help", I would welcome that. Being rude is not okay but being a little critical of you is a good thing. Not everyone you come across is going to hold your hand and tell you what you want to hear. I've come in contact with several different instructors and there is one that is very blunt and honest and I take it. Would some think he is rude? Sure. Do I take it personal, not at all.

Rude and honest are two different things and it's important to know the difference. What I constantly remind myself is I'm the student and he is the professional. Period.

Good luck!

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Tl;dr

Some people are jerks. If you go through paramedic school, don't go through there.

That pretty much sums it up. You run into those types everywhere. I had a paramedic instructor that I felt was being more critical than helpful, so I talked to him about it. Yeah he ribbed me in class the next couple of times, but his approach changed. The direct approach is usually pretty effective. Either way, unfortunately you have to learn to deal with people like that regardless of what field you work in. Best of luck.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Try not to worry. Stx medic is right. Get through it. read everything. And ignore those who feel good being "superior"

OP
OP
MarilynEagle

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
I haven't really experienced it in my class, I love pretty much all of the medics that teach our medic class. Many of them have some niche and will take over for our primary instructor on days we cover those topics and genuinely want to be there.

That being said, I've had ****ty preceptors in field clinicals and the ER. I just make a mental note to not go back to them and stick with the ones I know are good. If you need help after something, just go to the ones who actually want to help and don't waste your time with the ones who wont even pay attention.

I had 2 preceptor medics that were just not happy at all I was there. They told me openly that they do not like having students with them. After they said that I was determined to change their mind about students. I am sure they have had some pretty lame students there not by choice. I washed the ambulance, took every patients vitals, cleaned after every patient, mopped, etc. and I hope they felt as if I had made their shift easier. I have had some of the nicest medics ever as well during clinicals. One actually gave me a full tour of the truck my first clinical. A mix of lame and fantastic people is certainly not unique to EMS. I don't understand why anyone not passionate about helping people would go into the industry though still.

OP
OP
MarilynEagle

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
As for your instructors having very different styles of "help", I would welcome that. Being rude is not okay but being a little critical of you is a good thing. Not everyone you come across is going to hold your hand and tell you what you want to hear. I've come in contact with several different instructors and there is one that is very blunt and honest and I take it. Would some think he is rude? Sure. Do I take it personal, not at all.

Rude and honest are two different things and it's important to know the difference. What I constantly remind myself is I'm the student and he is the professional. Period.

Good luck!
Yeah I could work on not taking it personally and differentiating between rude and honest. Thanks!

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant

This is an argument made often. Precisely why we need to make sure the avenues of formal education are at least open and accepted by the national governing bodies. Not that you have to immediately make it a requirement, but it is going that way.