How old are you?

How old are you? (Pick the range you fall under and your cert)

• Total voters

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Just curious what the average age of people is around these parts.

I included cert also because I'm curious if there is a difference or not between the average ages at the different cert levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
just curious if its possible to add another age group of 20 and under?? i know you have 24 and under, but it ceases to amaze me how many 17 year old's are primary care givers on an emergency ambulance in the states

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
the 17 year old may be a first responder but I doubt they are an EMT-B. At least I know that is a fact in Washington state. (or at least I hope not...)

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
the 17 year old may be a first responder but I doubt they are an EMT-B. At least I know that is a fact in Washington state. (or at least I hope not...)

WA, in some states on the East Coast, you can be an EMT on a volunteer ambulance at 16. And there's some town, somewhere out there, that the ambulance is run by JUST teenagers, with the occasional adult providing ALS. So, yeah...

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I beleive in WA you have to be 18 to start the basic class. And since medic is a two year degree (I think), most medics would be at least 20 or 21.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I beleive in WA you have to be 18 to start the basic class. And since medic is a two year degree (I think), most medics would be at least 20 or 21.

You have to be 18 to certify in WA. You can start the class at 17 if you turn 18 before the end of class.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
currently 18, passed the EMT-B class when I was 16, finished the paperwork and testing and licensing (including NREMT assessment no NREMT cert though) the week after my 17th birthday and started working later in the year.

Waits for the bashing of the young folk.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to rehash the same old argument, but this poll would be even more useful if it were broken down into volunteers and professionals. I think there are significant statistical differences in the age trends between the two groups.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

How would it be useful? Not everything is about paid vs volunteer. I am strictly curious about age breakdown of the different levels here, not who you work for.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
How would it be useful? Not everything is about paid vs volunteer. I am strictly curious about age breakdown of the different levels here, not who you work for.
We're not talking about "everything" here. But if you are going to gather statistics, should not you use those statistics for some purpose other than to run up your post count? I don't understand why you would even bother to ask the question if you don't care about the significance of the results.

By further categorizing the respondents to the survey, you can learn more about the distribution, making it easier to theorize what the numbers mean. For instance, I would bet that the older EMTs are generally those in volunteer services. You just don't see many people over 40 suddenly decide they want to be an ambulance driver for a living. But you do see people over 40 suddenly decide that they are at a point in their life where they can spare some time and effort to volunteer for their community.

You honestly don't think that information is useful? This isn't about pitting anyone against anyone else. I'm not bashing anyone. It is what it is. It's simply about putting a useful purpose on your thread.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We're not talking about "everything" here. But if you are going to gather statistics, should not you use those statistics for some purpose other than to run up your post count? I don't understand why you would even bother to ask the question if you don't care about the significance of the results.

By further categorizing the respondents to the survey, you can learn more about the distribution, making it easier to theorize what the numbers mean. For instance, I would bet that the older EMTs are generally those in volunteer services. You just don't see many people over 40 suddenly decide they want to be an ambulance driver for a living. But you do see people over 40 suddenly decide that they are at a point in their life where they can spare some time and effort to volunteer for their community.

You honestly don't think that information is useful? This isn't about pitting anyone against anyone else. I'm not bashing anyone. It is what it is. It's simply about putting a useful purpose on your thread.

At the same time, you also see 17-20 y/o EMTs associated with volunteer services because they are the only ones that hire/allow EMTs that young to ride/drive. Compound that with the number of Explorers here, that is statistically significant.
How about college students, under age 22, certified, and working for on-campus EMS (often volunteer), but also part time with local privater services?
What I am trying to say is that there are other forces taking effect of this poll beyond volunteers who are in mid-life crisis, especially based on my existing understandings of the demographics of this forum.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Excellent points. There are many factors that contribute to the age distribution. As well, there are many things we can learn from these numbers that can benefit the growth of the profession. This is a good thread. But the numbers should mean something. Otherwise, it's just pointless chatter.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Feel free to start a thread with what you feel has a 'useful purpose' but determining for the OP what should have been the reason for his post seems a bit on the OCD side of the Type A personality curve.

According to your post, the older EMTs have to be recent EMTs?? There are many of us who started out younger and simply don't know when to quit. I believe rather than a reflection of trends in EMS the OP simply wanted to know the relative ages of the people he's meeting here in the forum.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

I'm curious, that is it. It's not part of some huge grand information gathering mission. I happen to be a young medic, and you don't see a lot of them around, so I was curious how old everyone else was. Just because it's not useful to you doesn't mean it's not useful to me, and frankly I'm insulted by your comment.

Bossy I'm a girl :p (thanks for the support though)

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
According to your post, the older EMTs have to be recent EMTs??
According to your post, my isolated example is supposed to be representative of an entire professional population?

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

This poll is lacking on medic input.

Come out come out where ever you are...... *holds out cigarettes, booze, and an EMT pinata*

:p