How much OT are you allowed?

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
I was just wondering how many hours your allowed to work each week assuming that the hours are available.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
As long as you are standing you can work.

I have worked three 12s straight (busy metro car running 8-12 calls each shift) and I have worked 100+ hours a week, again all busy metro cars.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
In theory? As much as you want.

In practice? None. My company is very tight with OT, to the point that they'll leave trucks empty if there's no part-timers or per diems to take it. My only chance at getting OT is if I get held over.

18G

Paramedic
My company is busy and runs pretty much non-stop all day. So even with OT they still make money to keep the units in the road.

As long as adequate time is off in between shifts you can really work as much OT as you want.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Not one minute. I've had them send me home when I hit 40, even leaving a medic unit unstaffed. It's a little obnoxious, because it's only because I'm classified as part time. Full timers get unlimited overtime. /footstompingtantrum

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
On the fire side, we might get one 24hr shift every 2-3months. In EMS you work 24/72, but can typically work 24/24 if you've got the balls and energy drinks to do it.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
96, however, I've managed to work four 120s. I average about 5-6 overtime shifts a month.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We have an "18 hour rule" in place, so if you're held over you can only work half of the next shift. There needs to be 6 hours of down time in between shifts. However, we do have plenty of OT shifts available for medics on off days. :) We use Telestaff to assign them.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I am.working the next 11 days in a row. 12 hr shifts each day.

This is rare though.

Our policy is if the part timers.or contingents dont want it the full timers get it. So there is enough to meet our minimum staffing.

We do have a rule.that you cant work more than 24 hrs straight without having 8hrs off.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For us if you work 12 hours shifts then you can not go more then 36 straight. If you work 24 hour shifts then no more then 48 straight. But other then that rule it's as much OT as you can get. Normally people will try to pick up shifts on the same day making it so they get Double Time pay for the whole second shift.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We can't work more than 24 hours without and 8 hour break. However, I've been scheduled to work a 13 and 10 with 2 hours off between (which was spent on the clock stocking, as per night crew duties), so I'm not sure if the overtime rules are actually enforced. Operations can pull you if you look tired, but beyond that you can pull as much OT as you want so long as you can stand it. An extra 10-12 a week is fairly normal.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Way back when... I worked with people that worked 108+ (and even up into the 120's) per week when we were short-staffed for the call volume. I once worked 4.5 days straight with 5 different partners on the same ambulance. Keeping the unit stocked was incredibly easy... I knew exactly what we'd used the entire day. ;)

That was NOT a record for that company though. I think the record was 6.5 days... straight. Amazingly enough, no crashes or adverse patient events during those days occurred.

SCClayton

Forum Probie
At my company full time is 72 hours a week. We can only pick up extra hours to a max of 96 hours a week. In addition, we are only aloud to work maximum of 48 hours in a row.

Theo

Forum Crew Member
Where I work the cap is at 64 hours per week, but I've heard stories of some pulling well more than that. We're pretty busy, so if the need is there and shifts need filled, the opportunity certainly exists.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
As much as can be scheduled for full timers provided no part time or medics not into overtime are available.

No more than 24 hours in a row and at least 6 hours offtime after 24 in a row.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
my old company I worked almost 3 weeks straight with no time off, I was the only medic at the time. for afew shifts I had an ambulance in the driveway and a partner on couch watching tv so I could shower, change and sleep better

Now we are limited to 36 hrs with 5 hr break, UNLESS testing/coverage requires more hours. Worked 213 hrs a couple of pay checks ago (2 weeks)

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
Here we work 48's, and aren't allowed to work longer than that(with good reason)

They require 12 hours off between shifts, but beyond that, there are no restrictions.