How many supervisors do you have?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
For all you paid guys, how many supervisors do you have on a shift?

We have minimum of 1 and maximum of 2 off the ambulance field supervisors for 10 units at night and 14 during the day time.

Usually 1 supervisor can handle all the work, but I did experience a 2 alarm fire with 7 people injured (two of whom were critically burned), with only one supervisor on duty, and it made me see how there are times when the 2nd boss would make things run more smoothly (one to be in the command post, one to be supervising EMS operations).

how does your system operate?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Supers go home at 10pm and get there at 10am. There is only 1 for 20-25 trucks and they all suck.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Supervisors are in from 6am-midnight. When there's no one in, and there's a problem they call them in from home.

Aside from one of the supervisors who is forgetful, I have no gripes with them. Hell, The supervisors, upper and mid level managers (including the owner of the company), and employees often meet up at the local bar after work.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
We have one Superintendent per district (3), though sometimes that drops or goes up by one due to vacations, sick time, etc. When HQ shuts down for the night one Deputy Chief is on call over night on a rotating basis.

My service has twenty stations and between 30 and 40 vehicles on at a time.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At my paid gig, always a supervisor in dispatch, always an ALS Field Supervisor in an SUV, and during the day multiple BLS field supervisors on trucks, and a few BLS field supervisors in some facilities (liaisons to begin paperwork, smooth things over, etc).
At my volunteer/college gig, always a supervisor (which I am one).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We have 1 chief. And he's off duty by 1800 every day.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
System 1: 30 ambulances, 4 EMS Lieutenants in the field, one captain in the field, one lieutenant in dispatch, and Med Control on radio/cell (this is not one of the 4 medical directors, but an experienced ICU or ER RN), plus 1 Medical Director. All preceding personnel are on 24hrs.

System 2: 4 ambulances, one field supervisor on for 24hrs, another supervisor is available if needed from 8-5. EMS Director scans calls, and can respond at any time if he deems necessary.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Depends.

There's 1 station captain per station, but they all work shifts. If ours isnt working that day and we need a station captain for something, we call one of the ones on duty.

Than we have our EMS ops director who works normal hours.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Company 1: 40 or so ambulances, 1 crew chief on duty. M-F operations and training departments could respond if need be. Also, if need be, the FTOs could handle some things in the case of on-scene command/control issues.

Company 2: 1-2 ambulances, the 3 owners were the 'supervisors.'

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Each station has an Operations Team Leader or Operations Team Manager. Larger stations will have an OTL for blue/green watch and one for red/brown whereas smaller will have only one. They work on a watch based roster and can be identified by a white strip on our green shoulder tabs.

The Auckland Metroplex has a Duty Operations Manager who assumes overall command for a particular tour (watch) and a couple OTMs who float around on the rapid response unit, one for North/Warkworth, one for West/Waitakere and one for Central/South/Pukekohe.

Outside Auckland the District Operations Manager (DOM) assumes overall management command for a particular watch (tour) however they are office-based and on-call.

Above them is the Regional Operations Manager, who like the DOMs, are office based and on-call but oversee a much larger geograpical area and do not readily deal with day to day activities but rather the strategic management of thier Region.

They report directly to the Operations Director.

Basically a road crew will get help from the watch manager (OTM or DyOM for Auckland) or if you are outside Auckland, the DOM.

The Police are the same, the Incident Cars report to the I-Car Supervisor (Sgt/NCO) who reports to the Commissioned Officer (Senior Sgt) for the particular shift (tour).

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
For the approximately 35-40ish BLS units on each day there is one EMT (used to be three, but one got fired, and the other seems to have been transferred) supervisor who is generally worthless, and is on for three 24-hour shifts each week.

For the 7 ALS ambulances there are two paramedic supervisors who rotate on/off duty for 24 hour shifts. One of them is reasonably helpful, the other can hardly manage himself let alone a fleet of ambulances.

Dispatch has a supervisor who comes in on weekdays for what I presume is supposed to be a 9-5 job but is always there far longer than that. Which is unfortunate, because the communications center functions noticeably smoother on the weekends when she is not there.

There is also an operations manager who apparently never leaves the corporate office.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
My station alone: Zero supervisors, 1 crew chief who is basically a supervisor without the pay. Closest sup is in Azusa.

The company as a whole, with about 80(?) rigs, there are four supervisors plus the owner, sups work rotating 72 hour shifts.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Usually 2 or 3 Lt's covering the field with one in Ops, a captain and a deputy superintendent covering the field, 20 BLS, 5 ALS and 3 light rescue type vehicles.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hmmm, I probably should have specified for emergency systems, not transport.

nothing against the transport people, but i think it would be very rare for you to need a supervisor to respond to the scene, and usually a transport supervisor is off the road shuffling paper and dealing with behind the scenes things.

but definitely an interesting spread, from 3 bosses for 2 ambulance, to 1 boss for 20+ ambulances.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Don't work on an ambulance anymore but when I did we had one supervisor for 7 911 stations and approximately 14-20 IFT trucks. The supervisor worked from 0700 to 1700 and after that if needed could be reached at home. We also used standing orders only which at the time were antiquated, posibly due to the fact our medical director was around 80-90 years old and has not worked as a physician since who knows when...