How long did you go between getting your certs and landing a job?

Mason

Forum Ride Along
I got them around the 20th of December, its February and I still can't land a job. I have an interview scheduled on the 16th but I'm unemployed...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I got them around the 20th of December, its February and I still can't land a job. I have an interview scheduled on the 16th but I'm unemployed...

It's a tough, oversaturated job market in many places. Are you in CA?

I got everything done in October 2011, started working November 2011. Stay persistent!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Got all my certs finished in Janurary and got hired in March.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
All my certs at the end of march, job in the middle of April. About 2 weeks lapse.

OP
OP
M

Mason

Forum Ride Along
Yes, I'm from CA, how did you guess? No wait, don't tell me...

Of course I will keep being persistent, on a sidenote, how fancy do I have to dress for interviews, I swear I feel overdressed sometimes.

As long as it isn't a tuxedo, you should be alright. Three piece suits might be overdoing it as well. Apply to companies that aren't posting job openings, show up for an application in person, etc.

OP
OP
M

Mason

Forum Ride Along
I did the applying in person for rural metro and they straight up told me to leave...

Ok, they just told me to apply online... but there is nothing online.

OP
OP
M

Mason

Forum Ride Along
If I were single I would definitely move to Texas. I have no problems going to the job.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Texas is the place to be ;) I've actually had to turn several decent opportunities down since I've got too many jobs already (4)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I got hired before I was actually certified, though I had passed my basic class. It took me a year to land an ambulance job though (other job is Sports Medicine/EMS standby type position), though it's tough to land a job when you're 2000 miles from where you wish to work. Realistically it took me four months to find the ambulance job.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I was hired by the time I got my paramedic cert, but I was one of the lucky ones from my class.

Anyways, like others have said, you just have to be persistent, the jobs are out there, but they can be difficult to find. Unfortunately California is an over saturated market, so for are TONS of applicants for most openings. Try every place you can think of, go into the business in person and apply, even if they tell you to apply online, it will show that you're more interested than others.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I was offered a job before I took my state and NREMT tests. Of course I don't work in the field. I really should get on that. :)

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Feb. 2009 - Passed Class
Oct. 2009 - Got Hired with an IFT company
Aug. 2010 - landed Different IFT company(with option to promote to 911)
Dec. 2011 - Finally working as an 911 EMT(aka running the show!)

Dont give up.... Or give up....actually yeah Do Give Up, there's No Money in this.

Feb. 2012 - Looking for Oppurtunity Elsewhere...

Feb. 2009 - Passed Class
Oct. 2009 - Got Hired with an IFT company
Aug. 2010 - landed Different IFT company(with option to promote to 911)
Dec. 2011 - Finally working as an 911 EMT(aka running the show!)

Dont give up.... Or give up....actually yeah Do Give Up, there's No Money in this.

Feb. 2012 - Looking for Oppurtunity Elsewhere...

Where do you mean by elsewhere?

Vladamir von bone

Forum Probie
To the people who didn't get jobs rite away after getting certified what did you do to keep your self's ready for a test and employer would give ?

I can only read my Emt book so many times before i fry my brain :mellow: and turn in to a zombie:wacko:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
To the people who didn't get jobs rite away after getting certified what did you do to keep your self's ready for a test and employer would give ?

I can only read my Emt book so many times before i fry my brain :mellow: and turn in to a zombie:wacko:

That's a good indicator that it's time to pick up the Paramedic Book.

It is usually much Easier to find work as a Paramedic than an EMT. Paramedics are few and far between in many areas while EMTs are usually a dime a dozen. (no offense to anyone)

In regards to the topic, I took my original EMT through my volunteer department 5 years ago. I didnt originally pursue EMS as a career so i waited 2 years before job hunting. It was decently easy to find a transport company job but to get a 911 job was a bit harder. Took me a year after filing to get hired by FDNY. I was fortunate enough to be selected to take the FDNY medic course which is 8 months, 40 hours a week and I got paid my EMT salary to be there followed by immediate promotion after state and regional tests were done.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Did my National Registry on a monday, wednesday that week got National cert in mail. Following monday got state cert in mail, next day (tuesday) had first interview. Got called next day to go for second interview following monday and started the next day. All in all from taking National Registry to getting hired 2 weeks and a day. Still reeling in shock over how fast that was...good luck in finding a job for yourself