How close is your Trauma Center?

crazycajun

Forum Captain
One level 1 within 15mins
Four Level 3 within 15mins

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Level 1 wise, we have JPS, Parkland, Baylor and ETMC Tyler, then Childrens for level 1 peds.

Level 2 wise, we have Harris Methodist and Mother Frances, then Cooks for Children.

I don't think anyone can doubt any of those hospitals abilities ^_^

I have been wanting to tour Baylor. Maybe you and jimmy could accompany me when I come down there for the Rockabilly fest in Austin.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
live in SF less than one mile from a level 1. la mission, represent!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I work FT in a City that has a Level 1 trauma center. I work PT for a service that has a Level 1 trauma center in City.

and technically my FT job also does EMS in the City that the the 3rd level 1 trauma center in the state.

If I pick up a shift in the suburbs, it's between a 20 and 35 minute ride by ground to the trauma center.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Monterey County reflects an American trend.

Dissolve small-town medicine, concentrate medicine where the doctors want to live and practice, and depend upon rapid (often volunteer) transport out of district to get people to definitive care.

The quickest way to help get into midwestern medical and allied health schools used to be stating "I have an interest in working in underserved rural areas"; then the grads all took off for Chicago, LA, NYC, Dallas, or Miami.

The greater Monterey area needs better coverage. Good luck, and be glad you don't live in Jenner, Gualala, or Guerneville farther up the state/coast.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Level 1- (adult& pediatric)about 5-7 min away
Level 2- is across the street
Burn center is about 30-40min away

Smaller hospitals 10-20 min away depending where ur goin

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
My company operates within an entire county so response times vary from 1 minute to 1 hour, depending on where patient contact is made.

Level 1 Trauma Center (with Pediatric Emergency, STEMI center)
Level 2 Trauma Center (with Burn Center)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
All times are via ground, times to the Levels IV, III & II are code 3. Time to the Level one is regular drive time. I hope to God I never have to run hot all the way across Washington. If I do, something, somewhere, has gone horribly wrong on a number of levels. Lol!

Level IV: Anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 hour to one, from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours to another.

Level III: 1 to 2 hours.

Level II: 1.5 to 2.5 hours.

Level I: 6 to 8 hours. (As a side note, the Level I serving my area is Harborview Medical Center. It also serves as the only Level I covering the whole of Washington, Idaho, Montana, Alaska and parts of Wyoming. Talk about an under covered area and an over worked hospital. Air, not ground, times from the farthest out areas covered can be 4 to even 6 plus hours. From Alaska, God only knows how long. 8 plus hours I would assume.)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
gotta love that dirty water

and to respond to what Veneficus said about the trauma centers every 5 feet... i feel that all of boston's level 1s defiantly fit the criteria of level 1 and do face a constant stream of cases that utilize level 1 assets

While that's true, and they all function as receiving facilities for the region, they certainly do have specialties. Boston Medical Center has a niche market for those un(der) insured, and shootings and stabbings, but is a very strong hospital in it's own right. BostonEMS transports any patient they see who does not have insurance or a hospital preference there.

Mass General is the academic medical center it has always been-- but with a strong trauma and ED residency program. Brigham and Womens and the Beth Israel both have a wealthier patient population, and while they have a lower trauma patient population, are both teaching affiliates with Harvard Medical, who's students also go to MGH.

BostonMedFlight, the regional HEMS provider, operates as a partnership between all of the Boston hospitals, and delivers patients in a rotation, so I believe all facilities receive essentially the same incoming patient mixture.

I understand the theory of dilution of many hospitals (re: trauma), but think that there are ways to combat it, as well.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
East of us would be 90 min to 2 Level I's; Southeast is same to Level II. West would probably be 550 Miles to San Fransisco; if they have one. North none, South Arizona somewhere.

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
In town we have a Level III - but we cover the county so that could mean drive time anywhere from a couple minutes to 30.

Level I trauma - drive time is about 1 hr 15min or 100 miles give or take. Same for Childrens - about 100 miles.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We have 3 of what you would call Level 1 in the country; Auckland City, Wellington and Christchurch. Auckland City includes Starship for paediatrics.

Other regional hospitals are designated what you call Level 2 in that they do not have neurosurgery and some do not have cardiothoracic.

Anybody who is super crook outside the Auckland Metro catchment goes to their local regional hospital and is then transferred if required.

In some cases a regional hospital might be an hour away.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
One is 12min away, the other is 15min :p

harryb714

Forum Crew Member
While that's true, and they all function as receiving facilities for the region, they certainly do have specialties. Boston Medical Center has a niche market for those un(der) insured, and shootings and stabbings, but is a very strong hospital in it's own right. BostonEMS transports any patient they see who does not have insurance or a hospital preference there.

Mass General is the academic medical center it has always been-- but with a strong trauma and ED residency program. Brigham and Womens and the Beth Israel both have a wealthier patient population, and while they have a lower trauma patient population, are both teaching affiliates with Harvard Medical, who's students also go to MGH.

BostonMedFlight, the regional HEMS provider, operates as a partnership between all of the Boston hospitals, and delivers patients in a rotation, so I believe all facilities receive essentially the same incoming patient mixture.

I understand the theory of dilution of many hospitals (re: trauma), but think that there are ways to combat it, as well.

Don't forget Children's for the little ones!

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
My FT gig is in the ER of a level 2 so I guess that's 0 min. There are a total of 5 hospitals in the general area (about a 20 mile stretch along the lake) and the other 4 are all considered level III's just by chance, they divert anything that sounds remotely traumaish to us.

Nearest level I is about an hour and a half south or southwest. UW Madison or Froedert in Milwaukee are both level I's and about equal transport times from here. Burn center is St Mary's in Milwaukee so again hour and a half or so.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I would never forget children;s. The little ones have other options for a Level I. MGH and BMC both hold the same designation, and Tufts' Pedi ED is rumored to as well (but not the adult ED).