Hi...and a question

VinBin

Forum Captain
Well, I'd like to say hi to everyone.
Now, thats over with, I had a question, I just moved to St. Louis for College and am about to join a Private Ambulance Company. I used to volunteer for local Fire and sometimes ride with State Ambulance where I'm from. So I just wanted to ask from those of you have experience with Private Companies, how is it similar/different from State Services.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Originally posted by VinBin@Oct 1 2005, 06:24 PM
Well, I'd like to say hi to everyone.
Now, thats over with, I had a question, I just moved to St. Louis for College and am about to join a Private Ambulance Company. I used to volunteer for local Fire and sometimes ride with State Ambulance where I'm from. So I just wanted to ask from those of you have experience with Private Companies, how is it similar/different from State Services.
Abbott in St. Louis can get you some experience. They will also help you through medic school.

A job is what you make it for sure. Keep a positive attitude and any job can help you grow.

Good Luck!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:D :D :D Welcome!!! :D :D :D

Unfortunately I'm not currently working in the medical field, but I'm sure plenty of people around here have some advice for ya. Good Luck!!

OP
OP
VinBin

VinBin

Forum Captain
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I was looking at Abbott, they seem to be a great place to work. My question should have probably been worded differently. I have heard a lot about "Patient Transport" being the majority of Private Ambulances runs. I am not very familiary with this aspeect of EMS. So I would like to ask anyone about their views on Patient Transport, as opposed to normal Emergency Call.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction.

As far as the "Private Transport" goes, the bread and butter of most private ambulance companies is the Medicare/Medicaid transports of patients to various doctor's appointments and such. Interfacility transfer (one hospital to another) is another staple of private ambulance companies.

smileyyemtb76

Forum Crew Member
First of all, WELCOME to EMTLIFE!! You'll love it here.

Second, the private company I work for, does mostly transfers from nursing homes to hospitals,etc. We also respond with the FD of 2 cities around us for emergencies, and act as mutual aid for several others. We also do alot of special events, such as Red Wing and Tigers games, concerts, etc. So we get the "best of both worlds" I guess...

Anyway, welcome again.. :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by smileyyemtb76@Oct 2 2005, 10:11 AM
First of all, WELCOME to EMTLIFE!! You'll love it here.

Second, the private company I work for, does mostly transfers from nursing homes to hospitals,etc. We also respond with the FD of 2 cities around us for emergencies, and act as mutual aid for several others. We also do alot of special events, such as Red Wing and Tigers games, concerts, etc. So we get the "best of both worlds" I guess...

Anyway, welcome again.. :D
Who do you work for (PM me)???

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Private transport is a good place to start, and a good place to practice patient interaction, as well as documentation.

However, there are also too many EMT's who never see anything more serious than a Dialysis transfer, and when a patient goes south, they are left with no practical experience to fall back on, and must think back to EMT school to remember what to do (If they aren't totally vaporlocked)

My advice.... A fulltime job doing transport is fine, but either volunteer or work parttime somewhere that does 911, to keep up your skills.

Jon

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Originally posted by VinBin@Oct 2 2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I was looking at Abbott, they seem to be a great place to work. My question should have probably been worded differently. I have heard a lot about "Patient Transport" being the majority of Private Ambulances runs. I am not very familiary with this aspeect of EMS. So I would like to ask anyone about their views on Patient Transport, as opposed to normal Emergency Call.
I will stick to the "Abbott" advice. They have a "transport" side but also have some primary response areas as well.

A lot of people have received a great start by not only learning there (IHM) but moving on to work on Abbott to get some experience.

I am not affiliated with them at all. I taught some courses for them several years ago. They had a couple of instructors I really learned some teaching skills from.

OP
OP
VinBin

VinBin

Forum Captain
Thanks for the advice, yea, Abbott seems to be a great place to work. I think I was worried about the same thing Jon, I'm afraid that falling into too much of a routine in "the regular" patient transport will invariably bring down the "emergency" skills.

DT4EMS, what response units are you referring to, the only emergency crew I though Abbott had was for special situations. I would be more than happy to find out they did emergency response. And why do they use the massive ambulances for just patient transport, is it common for routine transport to turn into an emergency?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by VinBin@Oct 2 2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, yea, Abbott seems to be a great place to work. I think I was worried about the same thing Jon, I'm afraid that falling into too much of a routine in "the regular" patient transport will invariably bring down the "emergency" skills.

DT4EMS, what response units are you referring to, the only emergency crew I though Abbott had was for special situations. I would be more than happy to find out they did emergency response. And why do they use the massive ambulances for just patient transport, is it common for routine transport to turn into an emergency?
Some transports are emergencies...

Patients need to be transported to other facilities, they need special monitors, machines, respirators, lots of oxygen..

Some of these trucks have one or two oxygen generators, back up tanks, a generator in case the rig breaks down.

Other rigs have seating for patient family, incubators, two or more stretchers for transports, or maybe they are outfitted for long distance transports.

The service I worked for had two massive rigs for transports only. Four door cabs, 13' patient compartments, two cots or two incubators, seating for parents, TV/DVD player for children transports, multitudes of patient monitors, a video link to the command hospital, computer systems, three H cylinders, two oxygen plants, two generators, plus all the equipment required by an ambulance. We could carry 2 paramedics, and either 2 nurses or a nurse and an MD. Did a lot of complicated pregnancy transports, premie's, etc.. Patient transport is an entire different industry these days.. They make ambulance as big as luxuary RV's just for transports. :eek:

And I do want one of those... Whacker VIII

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 3 2005, 09:59 AM
I'm surprised you haven't gone into the business of designing/building ambulances.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie+Oct 3 2005, 10:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Oct 3 2005, 10:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Oct 3 2005, 09:59 AM
I'm surprised you haven't gone into the business of designing/building ambulances. [/b][/quote]
Problem is.... in a TTLWHKR designed rig, there will be no spot on the exterior (Or interior doors) that dosen't light up or reflect :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Oct 3 2005, 09:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Oct 3 2005, 09:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-VinBin@Oct 2 2005, 10:40 PM

Patients need to be transported to other facilities, they need special monitors, machines, respirators, lots of oxygen..

Some of these trucks have one or two oxygen generators, back up tanks, a generator in case the rig breaks down.

Other rigs have seating for patient family, incubators, two or more stretchers for transports, or maybe they are outfitted for long distance transports.

The service I worked for had two massive rigs for transports only. Four door cabs, 13' patient compartments, two cots or two incubators, seating for parents, TV/DVD player for children transports, multitudes of patient monitors, a video link to the command hospital, computer systems, three H cylinders, two oxygen plants, two generators, plus all the equipment required by an ambulance. We could carry 2 paramedics, and either 2 nurses or a nurse and an MD. Did a lot of complicated pregnancy transports, premie's, etc.. Patient transport is an entire different industry these days.. They make ambulance as big as luxuary RV's just for transports. :eek:

And I do want one of those... Whacker VIII [/b][/quote]
I've never seen one that big.

My Company just got the local Children's Hospital contract. They have 3 brand new rigs.... all have an onboard generator (Don't know if it is an all-the-time thing, or a backup) also have GPS navigation. I think they all have DVD players in the back.

Possibly also a back-up camera, but not sure.

These are large E350/e450 rigs.

I've seen a cuople different Children's transport Crew-Cab Medium Duty rigs.... HUGE.

Although, what Alex and I talk about are High-end transport.... these trucks always roll with RNs/Medics and sometimes Doctors onboard, and transport REALLY REALLY REALLY sick folks to tertirary care teaching hospitals.

The majority of "Transport" EMS is BS (BLS without any life :p ). These are taking Grandma to and from Dialysis, or to the Poditrist, when Grandma is living in a nursing home and can't walk. These are all gaurenteed paid runs, because the patient has insurance that will cover ambulance transport, as long as certin conditions are met.

Working, even as a driver, for a Hospital retrivial team, is good experience, but they are usually VERY picky about who they take (Usually they contract with a transport Co. to supply/maintain rigs and EMT's to drive the trucks). The Transport co. often has little tolerance for late employees or those who don't look and act professional at these retrivial team positions.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Oct 3 2005, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Oct 3 2005, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 3 2005, 09:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-VinBin
@Oct 2 2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, yea, Abbott seems to be a great place to work.  I think I was worried about the same thing Jon, I'm afraid that falling into too much of a routine in "the regular" patient transport will invariably bring down the "emergency" skills. 

DT4EMS, what response units are you referring to, the only emergency crew I though Abbott had was for special situations.  I would be more than happy to find out they did emergency response.  And why do they use the massive ambulances for just patient transport, is it common for routine transport to turn into an emergency?

I've never seen one that big.

My Company just got the local Children's Hospital contract. They have 3 brand new rigs.... all have an onboard generator (Don't know if it is an all-the-time thing, or a backup) also have GPS navigation. I think they all have DVD players in the back.

Possibly also a back-up camera, but not sure.

These are large E350/e450 rigs.

I've seen a cuople different Children's transport Crew-Cab Medium Duty rigs.... HUGE.

Although, what Alex and I talk about are High-end transport.... these trucks always roll with RNs/Medics and sometimes Doctors onboard, and transport REALLY REALLY REALLY sick folks to tertirary care teaching hospitals.

The majority of "Transport" EMS is BS (BLS without any life :p ). These are taking Grandma to and from Dialysis, or to the Poditrist, when Grandma is living in a nursing home and can't walk. These are all gaurenteed paid runs, because the patient has insurance that will cover ambulance transport, as long as certin conditions are met.

Working, even as a driver, for a Hospital retrivial team, is good experience, but they are usually VERY picky about who they take (Usually they contract with a transport Co. to supply/maintain rigs and EMT's to drive the trucks). The Transport co. often has little tolerance for late employees or those who don't look and act professional at these retrivial team positions.

Jon [/b][/quote]
Eone, ALF & MedTech make them.

They also make one w/ a pump and hose reel.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 3 2005, 01:33 PM

I know.

I've seen medium duty rigs..... never with a crew cab (in real life.... I do get JEMS :D )

I've even seen (and posted pictures) of Cambridge Mass's Rescue 1.... with a Saulisbury (I think) Custom Cab on the front..... looks like a firetruck wit a ambulance glued inside the back :lol:

Crosslink: Previously Posted Pic:
Cambridge Rescue 1

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Oct 3 2005, 12:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Oct 3 2005, 12:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Oct 3 2005, 01:33 PM

I know.

I've seen medium duty rigs..... never with a crew cab (in real life.... I do get JEMS :D )

I've even seen (and posted pictures) of Cambridge Mass's Rescue 1.... with a Saulisbury (I think) Custom Cab on the front..... looks like a firetruck wit a ambulance glued inside the back :lol:

Crosslink: Previously Posted Pic:
Cambridge Rescue 1

Jon [/b][/quote]
f8_3.JPG

7b_3.JPG

7a_3.JPG

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Wheeled Coach-Fire Medic on a 2001 Kenworth Crew Cab Chassis

Price Tag: $350,000.00 :eek: ouch.