Helicopter Stuff and Things

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... interesting.

So my Department currently has 3 helicopters, all 3 MD520 NOTAR (basically single engine Little Birds with the ducted fan instead of a tail rotor).

We currently have 2 pilots (the third bird allows for maintenance to be done while still keeping 2 aircraft available.) Air 1 is available 24/7, Air 2 is eventually supposed to be that way too, but I believe is still currently daytime only.

They just put out an internal Special Notice recruiting for a new pilot.

Rumor circulating right now is also that they're looking at buying a "twin engine" helicopter... do those MD500 series have a twin engine option? I don't suppose we'd actually get something like a Firehawk as cool as that would be lol

Guess time will tell if anything actually comes out of that...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hmm... interesting.

So my Department currently has 3 helicopters, all 3 MD520 NOTAR (basically single engine Little Birds with the ducted fan instead of a tail rotor).

We currently have 2 pilots (the third bird allows for maintenance to be done while still keeping 2 aircraft available.) Air 1 is available 24/7, Air 2 is eventually supposed to be that way too, but I believe is still currently daytime only.

Rumor circulating right now is also that they're looking at buying a "twin engine" helicopter... do those MD500 series have a twin engine option? I don't suppose we'd actually get something like a Firehawk as cool as that would be lol

The twin engines are typically in larger helicopters. Your typical ones that fire uses can be EC135, EC145, Bell 212/412, Agusta 139/169, and the S-76.

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hmm... interesting.

If they want to stick with MD it would likely be a MD902

53.jpg

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
You better put in for the pilot position. LIVE MY DREAM!!!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
You better put in for the pilot position. LIVE MY DREAM!!!
That's definitely the dream lol. Especially if that rumored twin engine comes to pass, we might actually start MEDEVAC flights (with our MD520s we're limited to only sling loading litter off a mountainside to a waiting ground ambulance).

But yeah I'm already seriously thinking or Re-enlisting Guard or Reserves specifically for Warrant Officer Flight School which would then be a shoe in for future pilot positions, especially when I'm too old for dragging hoses (which is still plenty of fun at the moment, give it 5-10 years lol)

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I’m considering being a flight medic as my end goal for EMS. How busy are flight medics? Also how would you use a Chinook for HEMS? Those things are big.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I’m considering being a flight medic as my end goal for EMS. How busy are flight medics? Also how would you use a Chinook for HEMS? Those things are big.
How busy you are just depends on your service, just like ground EMS.

Chinooks aren’t used for civilian HEMS. Way too big and way too expensive.

PotatoMedic

How busy you are just depends on your service, just like ground EMS.

Chinooks aren’t used for civilian HEMS. Way too big and way too expensive.
They have federal grants for ambu-busses. I bet someone could write a grant for a ambu-bus chinook!

PotatoMedic

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Blackhawks aren’t that big.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Blackhawks aren’t that big.
They are far bigger than the vast majority of HEMS models. They also weigh more than 3 times as much. May not be an issue on a ground level pad however if you land that on a rooftop pad not designed for that much weight, you and a lot of people can have a very bad day.

Not to mention the distance between the front and rear gears wouldn’t allow it to fit on some of the pads I have been on.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Not to mention the distance between the front and rear gears wouldn’t allow it to fit on some of the pads I have been on.

Just short haul them to the pad. Duh.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Good luck finding a hospital helipad that can handle that
Lots of trauma centers have parks/ sport fields/freeways basically next to them. Not an elevator ride to the OR but in that kind of event, better than any alternative...it's a good idea...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Lots of trauma centers have parks/ sport fields/freeways basically next to them. Not an elevator ride to the OR but in that kind of event, better than any alternative...it's a good idea...
Thhree hospitals i deal with that have rooftop pads are rated for heavier frames. We have Coast Guard air wings so theyre rated for Jayhawks and Dolphins if they pick someone out of the ocean and fly them into a trauma unit. If they can land a Jayhawk id assume they can land a blackhawk?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Blackhawks routinely practice with the rooftop helipads in our area since Ft Campbell is home to the 101st and 160th.

Typically they just balance the back wheel on the pad and don't completely touch down. Per our former Chinook pilots, they could do the same without causing damage to the pads

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Search and Rescue for a lost dirt biker