Heading to New Orleans

runindash05

Forum Crew Member
"Mayo said the state is asking for doctors, nurses and emergency medical technicians from neighboring states for their help. Those who want to assist should contact their state's licensing board, which should then get in touch with Mississippi's board for accreditation." -cnn.com

So, I called the Bureau of EMS here in Florida and they connected me with a 1-800 number and then they were able to give me a website to log into with with a username and password to put in my information and guy on the phone said I would hear back in 24 hours. If anyone else wants the phone number so you can get that website, let me know. I'm a bit nervious. But, that's always a good thing.

Dear Brandon,

Your registration to volunteer for response post Hurricane Katrina has been received. Your information will be forwarded to states making requests for assistance from Florida.

Thank you for volunteering your services.

Florida Department of Health

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I certainly can't go, I probably wouldn't either, just because of my diabetes and the 'toxic' enviroment. I'm thinking about doing one of those ebay auctions for charity for the ARC. I don't know what I could sell, but I'll look around. The funds, less shipping, would be mailed directly to the ARC; and the rest would work as usual. There were alot of these auctions after the Tsunami and 9/11.

OP
OP
R

runindash05

Forum Crew Member
Oh, guess I didn't know about the ebay thing. Good idea though and well worth it.

Brandon

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
Auction a whacker mobile.

Im thinking about getting a benefit bakesale together in my community, you know all the nice old ladies could bake some brownies, sell them for 25 a piece, send the proceeds to the ARC

-Cap'nPanic

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I wish I could volunteer, but there is no way I could afford to go out there now :(

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We were told that we would not be covered by our insurance if we went. :(

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Yeah, I got put on standby, but not for EMS, I'll find out if I leave tonight, but I'll keep you all posted...

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
A total of 12 rigs departed from East Texas Medical Center and Champion EMS both of East Texas today to go to Louisianna. Dispatch paged out the opportunity, and within hours had enough volunteers for 2 medics and 2 basics for each truck.

I think they are actually going to Northern Louisianna to relieve some of the Acadian Trucks for a little while, but they were not sure of the details.

I wish I could go, but I have school, and I start my job Sept. 6th. But I am going to donate to the Red Cross since I am unable to go and actually help.

With gas prices (above $3.00/gal in texas), I cannot afford to leave, or to pass up this job since I drive 100 miles a day to go to school. Wish I could.

If anyone that goes has a chance.. take some pictures. We have a few people from my medic class leaving to help this weekend, and they are going to take pictures... I will try to post them if I can get my hands on them.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Yep, no rest for the wicked, got home at 0430 this morning, have to be at the airport at 0400 tomorrow to fly towards N'awlins. Anyway, don't know if there is gonna be cell service there, but I'll PM my number/nextel DC to FFEMT if anyone else makes it down there, we'll be downtown. I'm bringing the camera! Stay safe, -luke

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Luno@Sep 1 2005, 03:51 AM
Yep, no rest for the wicked, got home at 0430 this morning, have to be at the airport at 0400 tomorrow to fly towards N'awlins. Anyway, don't know if there is gonna be cell service there, but I'll PM my number/nextel DC to FFEMT if anyone else makes it down there, we'll be downtown. I'm bringing the camera! Stay safe, -luke

Good luck, be careful, and keep fighting the good fight. ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Luno@Sep 1 2005, 04:51 AM

Good luck, stay safe, and beware of the looting cops (a few bad apples make everyone look bad).

As for me, I'll see if my Co. is sending anyone down tomorrow at work.... I'm willing to go, and really thinking about it.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
as for staying in touch, Amateur (ham) radio will send short messages OUT from the disaster area (NOT IN) and they are recognized as being a priority to put tyou in contact with you family.

Jon

HotNoldEMTchick

Forum Crew Member
To anyone who goes, God Bless You ALL!!!

I saw dead bodies on TV today, and a young boy about 10 years old crying... I broke down in tears, sobbing for these people.

I want so badly to go and help. I just took the NR, but I won't even know if I passed it for a few more weeks. Not to mention, I can't afford to leave my job...
I wouldn't get paid to go...

God, it sounds selfish, doesn't it? Especially knowing that there are so many without work, homes, families... I feel so helpless.

Going to go cry now...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My security Co. had 2 guys get activated today. One left halfway thorugh his shift, and was to leave this evening, and the other one ships out tomorrow evening, possibly getting married on the way :blink:

Apparently it is considered a "combat zone" since they are taking fire. My one co-worker actually had to think if he would rather be going to Iraq than New Orleans...

Jon

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
It is a combat zone. People are shooting at emergency workers, cops, and the aircraft that are trying to help them. I wouldn't go unless I was armed to the hilt and had a bunch of Rambos with me!! :ph34r: :ph34r:

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
To all who go down there... be carefull!!! Keep your BSI on at all times as I believe scene safety is going to be more of a concern!!! God Speed.