Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

Jango

Forum Crew Member
With gas prices the way they are....no way in hell I was going to drive that far! I am very glad you passed though, and very glad to see you didnt give up and let the test beat you.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
For the NREMT-B, do you just have to take this test? Do you have to do practicals in front of instructors as well like for the NREMT-P.
There is still a practical component. In some cases, it is done at the school before you "finish" the course.

R/R 911 can explain a lot more.

Jon

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Practicals Suggestions

I am A current EMT student. I have done well in class (A average). I am a little over 2 weeks away from my Practial for NR and I am more than a little intimidated. The skill sheets seem to be exceptionally complicated with what seems to be a million critical fail points on each. I would LOVE suggestions on how to prepare. What have you all done to prepare for practicals? Were you as prepared as you could have been? Did you pass or fail first time tested?

Thanks in advance for input!

Robby
Las Vegas

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I wrote something about a year ago about my expierences with MA state practicals-- both as a patient and as a candidate-- see if you can dig it up (i'm feeling lazy). While you're at it, DO A SEARCH!!

Good Luck!

Swinney101

Forum Probie
I took my practicals back in January. My proctor if you will was a doctor. My biggest piece of advice would be to practice practice practice. You are given a road map to success with the skill sheets. If you have skill videos watch those over and over. I passed all my skill stations first time, not perfectly but i passed. Those who had issues didn't take the class seriously. RELAX, if you know your stuff it will show.

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I am A current EMT student. I have done well in class (A average). I am a little over 2 weeks away from my Practial for NR and I am more than a little intimidated. The skill sheets seem to be exceptionally complicated with what seems to be a million critical fail points on each. I would LOVE suggestions on how to prepare. What have you all done to prepare for practicals? Were you as prepared as you could have been? Did you pass or fail first time tested?

Thanks in advance for input!

Robby
Las Vegas

Remember the steps on the skill checkoff sheets in order. And while your doing that, imagine that you are actually walking up to a scene. The steps make more sense when you mentally visualize doing what your supposed to be doing.

Remember the proctors that are grading you was in your shoes at one time, and they know what your going through, so relax and don't get in a hurry because you will have plenty of time.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Remember the steps on the skill checkoff sheets in order. And while your doing that, imagine that you are actually walking up to a scene. The steps make more sense when you mentally visualize doing what your supposed to be doing.

Remember the proctors that are grading you was in your shoes at one time, and they know what your going through, so relax and don't get in a hurry because you will have plenty of time.
yep is second that. they are not looking for anything that is off that little sheet that is in their hands so if you memorize the sheet and do everything in that order accompanied by practicing you skills so you can do them quickly, then you will pass them all.

Isn't that sad though....if you can remeber a piece of paper than you can become an EMT.

Last edited by a moderator:

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
yep is second that. they are not looking for anything that is off that little sheet that is in their hands so if you memorize the sheet and do everything in that order accompanied by practicing you skills so you can do them quickly, then you will pass them all.

Isn't that sad though....if you can remeber a piece of paper than you can become an EMT.

I know its not rocket science. I have test anxiety really bad. Anxiety makes you forget things that you know no matter how well you know it, so it helps to dumb things down.

After I took my practicals I realized that it wasn't as bad as others made it out to be

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I know its not rocket science. I have test anxiety really bad. Anxiety makes you forget things that you know no matter how well you know it, so it helps to dumb things down.

After I took my practicals I realized that it wasn't as bad as others made it out to be
I remeber when i took my Basic practicals. i started out with rapid assesment on the patient, before airways, BSI ,scene safety, general assesments. Luckily it was the practice practicals and it didn't happen in the real ones.

OP
OP
C

Cincy53

Forum Crew Member
I did my practicals back in january as well and the biggest thing as you know is practice! Sometimes I stayed after class was over and worked on my skills and especially intubation. Try practicing at home with a buddy or sibling. Have your mom and dad drill you over the skill sheets. I passed all of my practicals the first time, not perfect, but I passed. You can too. Just study up and practice. Repetition, repetition, repetition!

rchristi

Forum Crew Member
Practicals

My practicals went well. I had some good instruction in class and a chance to practice with an instructor providing feedback. For me the best approach was to take a deep breath and get my focus on the skill, not on my fears and worries. A little luck on the randoms never hurts either. Carrying yourself like you know what you are doing also helps.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I passed the mock practical and real practical first time around.

I had the sheets memorized. I took a blank sheet of paper and tried to write down each skill sheet word for word, avoiding looking at the actual sheet as much as possible until I could write down each sheet from memory without looking flawlessly.

Then I recited each skill sheet from memory the same way.

I practiced with friends and people from class.

If you have the opportunity to I highly recommend that you volunteer to play victim for another class. I did this countless times for another EMT class, a paramedic class and a PHTLS class and it's a lot easier to catch mistakes when you're the patient not the person making the errors.

Good luck! Don't freak yourself out over the practical. It's really not that difficult.

chrisen84

Forum Ride Along
I failed....

TWICE!!! I took (both) tests a couple of months ago.... and i (unfortunately) didnt pass. I guess taking the accelerated course didnt help, since I didnt have any previous EMS experience or anything (except for CPR training) I was scared of trying to retake the test up until thursday (08/14) but I went to this ambulance company to apply for a dispatch position and they told me the position was filled. The Dir of the company told me he would like me as an EMT and asked when would i get my Cert. I told him Ive been studying..so he asked me if I wanted to just take the preemployment test they give to their candidates... just for the hell of it.. so i did. I finished the test and didnt pass it. I got 60% and the min to pass was 70%. What killed me was that i didnt now what the AEIOU memory aid meant!! He went over the questions i got wrong..,, i thought that was really nice of him. This is a 4-5 month old company, and they were really really nice. I am studying more because that meant a lot to me, and would like to go back and get the job.. since he said to call him when i get my cert...and Ill have the job!! NOW.... I would like to know if there's any Study Groups in the LA area.... I think it would be kool to study in a group. Let me know guys!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome to the forum chrisen.

First, by LA area, you mean Los Angeles, right? We're an international forum, so, kind of need to be more specific sometimes.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any study groups.

chrisen84

Forum Ride Along
Welcome to the forum chrisen.

First, by LA area, you mean Los Angeles, right? We're an international forum, so, kind of need to be more specific sometimes.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any study groups.

Thanks... and yeah.. i mean Los Angeles, CA Area.

Code 3

Forum Captain
I'm not aware of any study groups, but this is a very useful website for studying:

http://www.emtb.com/9e/

• Online Chapter Pretests
  • Anatomy Review
  • Vocabulary Explorer
  • Registry Review

These are just a few key features this website has to offer. I strongly recommend browsing all of its content in order to prepare yourself for a 3rd attempt at National Registry. Best of luck B)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

You need to evaluate why you failed, what information you need to focus on, and then concentrate your studies. Good luck!

chrisen84

Forum Ride Along
Ok.. thanks guys,... look this were my weaknessess.... kind of embarrassing.. but oh well.

Test taken 03/24/08
AIRWAY AND BREATHING ABOVE PASSING
CARDIOLOGY NEAR PASSING
TRAUMA BELOW PASSING
MEDICAL NEAR PASSING
OB/PEDS NEAR PASSING
EMS OPS ABOVE PASSING

Test taken 04/15/08
AIRWAY AND BREATHING NEAR PASSING
CARDIOLOGY BELOW PASSING
TRAUMA BELOW PASSING
MEDICAL NEAR PASSING
OB/PEDS BELOW PASSING
EMS OPS ABOVE PASSING

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
chrisen84,

I think it's more than just taking the major subjects and seeing if you've passed or failed. One thing we can tell is that you don't need to focus on EMS operations. Otherwise, it appears as though you need to work on most other subjects.

I'd:
1. Re-read the sections of the book, taking notes in your own words.
2. Truly aim to understand the information, not just read it. If you don't know something, ask a question.
3. Make flash cards of vocab words, symptoms, and treatments. Don't just make them and not use them, master them!
4. Complete the chapter/section tests/reviews. Go back and focus on areas where you do poorly.
5. Use online resources as a review. One has already been posted, but if you search our site you'll see that there are many more. You might have to pay for some of them, but it may be worth it, instead of having to either take a refresher or the whole course over again.
6. Study, study, study.
7. Contact local community colleges/education centers to see if they offer cheap refreshers or study groups.

That's a start. Good luck!