Havent renewed NREMT since 2012

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Im currently on a hiatus from EMS while I pursue a career in IT. I got my NREMT EMT-I back in 2012 but never kept up with it since it wasnt required to hold my state license. My Texas AEMT license is currently inactive and will require me to get my NREMT cert back when I go back to active. While I am still taking my CE courses, I currently dont have a plan on when I will get back into EMS but I know I eventually will, I'm just making sure I understand what I will need to do when the time comes.

All that said, Im unclear if I can still recertify and completion of CE hours will be acceptable (psychomotor exam is something else as there isnt one within 5 hours of where I live), or since it has been so long I will need to redo the initial certification and have to take a full EMS course all over again. With Texas, if the license has been expired for more than one year, this is the case and you have to start all over again from square one. I know they have a re-entry option, however it doesnt clarify if there is a time limit to qualify. There is also the issue of the EMT-I vs AEMT change. I have sent a message to NREMT but havent gotten a reply. Any insight would be appreciated.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You will have to submit 50 CE hours and retake the cognitive exam and likely the psychomotor exam. Being that you've been certified as an EMT-I and now you're lapsed both NREMT and Texas, at least you likely won't have to redo the entire course. However, those 50 hours will have to meet the 2016 standards. If you're unaffiliated, then you would renew into an inactive status and a future employer would have to verify your skills to move you to an active status.

I'm also a (very) lapsed NREMT-P. My state P-card is still very much active and has been since I earned it. Should I want to renew my NREMTP, I'll have to do 30 hours of CE that meets 2016 standards and take the cognitive exam. My employer would then have to verify my skills with the NREMT and then I'd have the active certification. Otherwise I basically renew into an inactive status. That being said, my state doesn't require active NREMTP to maintain an active Paramedic license, so it doesn't make any sense to renew my NREMTP card to an inactive status. Should I decide to actively work as a Paramedic, I would have to re-accredit with the local EMS agency or agencies where I might be sent to work. Should I do that, and decide to maybe work as a medic outside my current state, then renewing to an active status with the NREMT might be a good thing... but I haven't needed it for >20 years...