Handouts - Crowdfunding Paramedic School

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
People asking for handouts with gofundme to go to paramedic school make me sick.

Fill out a FAFSA form or get a part time job like the rest of us did.

Nobody owes you a living. Work for it.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
What about people just asking for money? Because I could always use more. And hey! At least it's honest when I say "give me money that I haven't earned because I'm lazy and don't want to put in any effort or take responsibility for myself." Can't go wrong with honesty, right? :D

DogzRule

Forum Ride Along
I'm pretty sure these are just scam artists picking a "reason" that they think will work on people's sympathy or empathy. They aren't going to collect thousands of dollars on gofundme and then use it for school. It's the new stand by the on/off ramp with a cardboard "will work for food" sign.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't really have a problem with it. I mean yeah, there have been plenty of times I've seen gofundme campaigns that made me wonder "really? why the hell would anybody just hand over their hard earned money to you for that?".

But....it's completely voluntary and if someone decides they want to give money to a cause that I think is stupid, well, more power to them.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Sure beats a street corner.

But the street corners pay so well...

In all seriousness though, I don't understand why people don't save up money. I saved enough money to be able to pay for EMT school right out of high school (1,000 dollars seemed so much back then) and now I've saved enough money to pay for medic school. If you budget good enough and show some restraint in purchases you can easily save money for these types of things.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
But the street corners pay so well...

In all seriousness though, I don't understand why people don't save up money. I saved enough money to be able to pay for EMT school right out of high school (1,000 dollars seemed so much back then) and now I've saved enough money to pay for medic school. If you budget good enough and show some restraint in purchases you can easily save money for these types of things.

You mean work hard and take care of yourself? Oh the horror.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I thought there was no way people would crowdfund paramedic school. I was wrong, there are pages and pages of paramedic school campaigns.

I find it tacky, but it's 2015. Maybe it will soon be the norm.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It IS pretty tacky. Paramedic school is not a particularly noble endeavor, nor is it outside the financial reach of most.

CALEMT

CALEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
What does overcoming obstacles on one's own do? It makes a person feel proud, strong, and well equipped and confident to face obstacles that lie ahead.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I find it tacky, but it's 2015. Maybe it will soon be the norm.
Not necessarily gofundme (though it's common use for trivial things is a pretty good indicator of whats going on) but wanting something for nothing is, more and more, the normal state of things.

There is only so long that you can tell people that they can have whatever they want, do whatever they want, be taken care of whenever they want, are always winners, are all special, will always be bailed out, will never face any consequences and that it is, always, without a doubt the OTHER GUY'S FAULT before things get squirrelly.

Welcome to America. Land of the crybabies and home of the handout.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Welcome to America. Land of the crybabies and home of the handout.

And what is really so sad about it is how quickly things changed.

Read Tom Brokaw's book "The Greatest Generation" and compare it to today's culture.

Hell, I just turned 40 (yeah, I know that sounds almost dead to a lot of you) and I think the generation gap between people my age and my kids is probably the greatest that has ever existed. When I grew up I had to split wood for heat and bail hay and take care of cows and horses to make money for my wrestling shoes and pretty much anything else I wanted that wasn't a bare necessity. I never had pizza delivered until I joined the military and moved away from home. My wife grew up on a farm and they literally ate only what they grew and raised and didn't even have a telephone. Our dates (or "hookups") were school dances and basketball games and bonfires that our friends and us would build on farmer's fields out off the backroads. Not everyone lived like that when I was a kid, but it wasn't uncommon, either.

Nowadays, my kids whine that they don't have the newest iPad and that their favorite show isn't on Netflix yet and that my truck doesn't have wifi in it. I don't begrudge my kids for it - it's all they know - but the difference is what it is.

I know I probably sound like some crotchety old dude (almost as bad as @DEmedic, maybe :)), but that's just the truth.

Last edited:

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
It's so fun to look around the classrooms after 8 weeks and guess who's schoolin' on their parents' dime...

I watched this gofundme to it's completion..

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
It's so fun to look around the classrooms after 8 weeks and guess who's schoolin' on their parents' dime...

I watched this gofundme to it's completion..
Sweet baby Jesus. I was able to ignore the requests for paramedic school and just move on with my life, but that one made the bile rise up in my throat a little bit.

Whatever I guess. People will spend their own money on all manner of stupid things. It doesn't affect me, but I still wish I hadn't clicked on that link.