Halls Ambulance

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
How are your protocols?

Chupathangy

Forum Crew Member
I know there's class time and FTO time, but whats involved in that? I'm curious because the first place I worked I did a ride along to learn the ropes, got hired the next day, and then was out working the day after. (BLS companies right?) Then the next place saw I already had experience and hired me on the spot. So I wasn't even aware some places did class time.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I know there's class time and FTO time, but whats involved in that? I'm curious because the first place I worked I did a ride along to learn the ropes, got hired the next day, and then was out working the day after. (BLS companies right?) Then the next place saw I already had experience and hired me on the spot. So I wasn't even aware some places did class time.

Orientation to the company
Policies
Vehicle operations and driving
Skills
Kern County Certifications

Gordoemt

Forum Lieutenant
Wow blood work? What do they look for? Also do they measure your pulse after you " walk briskly"?

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
Wow blood work? What do they look for? Also do they measure your pulse after you " walk briskly"?

I believe the blood draw is just part of getting a physical. I don't know if there's anything in particular they look for as much as all your numbers are in normal ranges. Sorry, I only know the common general stuff about blood work.

Your pulse is checked before and after the treadmill, and every time the weight increment increases when you have the lift test - it's only up to 70 lbs.

You seem pretty focused on this part of the hiring process. The physical isn't something to worry about.... unless you do drugs then that's a different ball game.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Another thing that was not mentioned in this thread is that they do sponsor their EMTs to go to paramedic school at Bakersfield College and pay them while they are in school (similar to what fire department's down south do, only nobody is forced to become a paramedic up here.) I have one friend who is just finishing up didactic and several others who are in the testing process to get into the next program. I do not work for Hall, so I do not know how hard it is to get sponsored, but I do know multiple people who have.

Chupathangy

Forum Crew Member
I don't think anyone's really touched on this yet, but Hall has it's own helis right? I'm assuming a medic and nurse on that, but how does a medic end up getting on? Do they usually hire from some of their ground medics? And what are the requirements for it? I have a basic idea of what most air units want but does anyone know specifically what Hall requires?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Another thing that was not mentioned in this thread is that they do sponsor their EMTs to go to paramedic school at Bakersfield College and pay them while they are in school (similar to what fire department's down south do, only nobody is forced to become a paramedic up here.) I have one friend who is just finishing up didactic and several others who are in the testing process to get into the next program. I do not work for Hall, so I do not know how hard it is to get sponsored, but I do know multiple people who have.

yes that is a huge point of interest for many people looking to forward there ems career. Getting sponsored is pretty straight forward. 1yr of employment, good merit, 2 interviews, paramedic entrance test, and that should be it.

I don't think anyone's really touched on this yet, but Hall has it's own helos right? I'm assuming a medic and nurse on that, but how does a medic end up getting on? Do they usually hire from some of their ground medics? And what are the requirements for it? I have a basic idea of what most air units want but does anyone know specifically what Hall requires?

Yes we do have a flight team staffed everyday 24/7. Pilot, medic, nurse. Usually 5yrs medic exp but have taken 3-4yrs. As far as I know they only get there flight medics from within. Req include regular medic certs plus now they are requiring NRP,FP-C, and CCEMTP. I might have missed one too. You can pick up as much OT as ylu want on the CCT ground or regular ALS units.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel

Paramedic
alright, hoping to get some a little more info on this companys interview process.

is everything done in the 1 day? multiple. i was reading about having to do 2 interviews, is this still true? should i call and make sure since i am coming from out of town? (she did say there were no tests so maybe thats changed).

im curious about the equipment you guys use, especially monitor wise. im going to assume (hope) theres power gurneys. are narcs locked up or you have to carry them? stuff like that in general.

i hope to walk the facilities and check out some rigs if time allows.

TIA

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
alright, hoping to get some a little more info on this companys interview process.

is everything done in the 1 day? multiple. i was reading about having to do 2 interviews, is this still true? should i call and make sure since i am coming from out of town? (she did say there were no tests so maybe thats changed).

im curious about the equipment you guys use, especially monitor wise. im going to assume (hope) theres power gurneys. are narcs locked up or you have to carry them? stuff like that in general.

i hope to walk the facilities and check out some rigs if time allows.

TIA

I don't work for Hall but know a few medics over there. The last I heard they have Zoll X series monitors, Chevy/GMC 3500 type 3's along with some remaining Ford vans that are being phased out, manual Fernos that they're in the process of replacing with Stryker power cots, and narcs secured in the units. I am pretty sure they still do written, skills, and 2 interviews spread over a couple days.
From the folks that work there all the equipment is very well maintained, and if a problem is reported it gets taken out of service and resolved almost immediately.

Angel

Paramedic
I don't work for Hall but know a few medics over there. The last I heard they have Zoll X series monitors, Chevy/GMC 3500 type 3's along with some remaining Ford vans that are being phased out, manual Fernos that they're in the process of replacing with Stryker power cots, and narcs secured in the units. I am pretty sure they still do written, skills, and 2 interviews spread over a couple days.
From the folks that work there all the equipment is very well maintained, and if a problem is reported it gets taken out of service and resolved almost immediately.

awesome thanks, hopefully i can talk them into doing them the same day...hopefully

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I do not work for Hall; but I have over a dozen friends who do so I asked them about the interview process. From what they have all told me, if you interview with them make sure you make it sound like you want to bleed orange. (their color) They are looking for people who want to stay awhile, so, even if you are undecided, make it sound like it is your plan. Most people like it there and end up staying awhile anyway.

I do not know what your eventual career goal is, but make sure you do not mention anything about wanting to go to the fire department. Fire departments up here are BLS and Hall works very hard to keep it that way and have Fire and EMS be completely separate. If they think you want to use them as a stepping stone only to a fire career, then they will not hire you.

Usually the interviews are on separate days because, unlike some private companies in other parts of California, Hall has a rather formal hiring process that has steps in it similar to a public safety agency. You have a first interview, background check, physical exam and lifting test, then an interview with the operations manager which is the equivalent of a chief's oral interview. Following a job offer, there is a two week classroom orientation, followed by an extensive FTO period where you ride as the 3rd crew member. Overall, Hall is a good company.

Angel

Paramedic
yea thats kind of the annoying part. i already paid for the ticket so i will go but i just wish the process could be sped up. i have another interview for remsa (in august) which if i have to do this extended type training id almost rather do it there because of the scope. anyway, im just thinking out loud. but im ready to start working as a medic gosh dangit!

medic707

Forum Ride Along
I went through the hiring process the end of last year for a medic spot. First interview was the basic who, what, where, why, and the rest of the questions were the tell me about a time when.....

The first interview was with a HR representative. The second interview was with the second in command gentleman. He really just wants to get to know you and know that you will bleed blue and orange. After he offered me a job I went and had my physical done and got fitted for my uniforms.

The two interviews were about 1 week apart. I went through the 1.5 to 2 week classroom portion. I was the only one going through all this so it went by very quickly. I then started my field training. I was done in five weeks. My preceptor tried to shorten it but it is a minimum 5 weeks.

After that they give you a schedule where they need you the most.

Hands down the best company I have ever worked for.