Halls Ambulance

Jacedc

Forum Probie
Does anyone know what the full time schedule is for Halls Ambulance in kern county?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Well there is a lot of threads on Hall that are very accurate that some people probably ask/answered. But I'll help you out. shift are mostly 12s and 48s.
12s are mainly sun-tues e/o wed. And thurs-sat e/o wed.
Also school schedules m-w-f or t-th-sat. With some 8 and 10hr shifts.

Then there is 48s which work 2on2off2on2off2on8off...a,b and c shifts.
There is also some 24s .

Last edited by a moderator:

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Feel free to ask away if there is any other questions you didn't find.. you don't have to pm for them that way other people can see and don't have to ask again. Still feel free to pm though if you like.

Angel

Paramedic
I have a couple. What is the pay like and what is the academy and FTO like. I'd like to know for paramedics but any info helps.
Is it dual medic shifts or 1-1 and if there's BLS only units do they also run 911?
Hall would be a bit of a trek for me but I'm curious how things are down there. Also it's Kern county for protocols right?
Thanks

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Pay is dependant on exp. If you have <1yr exp you are at step 1.
Medic:
8/10hr = 19.25 OT after 8hrs
12hr = 15.75 OT after 8hrs
24/48hr = 12.50 OT after 40/wk

Classroom is 2-3 weeks.
FTO is minimum 6 weeks no exceptions up to 10 or 12 I believe.
We run a tiered priority dispatch thus BLS units do run 911 priority 3 calls like falls, abd pain, assaults etc. No 5150 txps or dialysis at all.
Bls fire and transporting agency either ALS or BLS has scene control.
ALS is 90/10 911/IFT with ~ 8-10 calls per 12hr
BLS is 50/50 911/IFT with ~ 6-8 calls per 12hr
ALS is B/P BLS is B/B with occasionally a P/P
Yes Kern County protocols.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Bay area does pay more but look at the cost of living there compared to here. We are getting 10% raises across the board in Jan 1 2016 FYI.
Benefits is where its really at though being fully paid for Kaiser AND we get a preloaded card 1300/3500 single/family for co-payments and RX. Equipment is better than any I've seen and dare to say the best in Cali. Real stations, new Chevy ambulance mods with LED lights, custom seats, DUAL train horns, dual weilen sirens, EQ siren (like the engines), monitors with all the bells and whistles. All units are washed everyday by a maintenance staff and waxed every 2 weeks.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
puty5ery.jpg

Did I answer your questions?

Angel

Paramedic
You did and actually it pays more there from what I've seen (not including AMR I have no idea how much they make).
I'm willing to go just about anywhere for a bit to get some solid experience. I have to call HR though because I started my app (didn't finish it) and it basically kicked it back.
Thanks.
Also in general how do you like living out there? (I know what people say but is it really that bad)
Oh an bidding, how's that work? (Seniority I'm sure) are there more 12s or 24/48?
I imagine the senior folk get those shifts 24/48s?
Do those shifts post at a station like FD?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Ya and with the extra 10% we are getting in Jan 2016 it will be very nice making 45-48kyr starting.
Yes call HR idk about that.
Seniority is based on tour hire date so whoever is front of you has more seniority. Working nights you do get double seniority. And once you bid on a shift you own or permanently. Bidding is usually every 6mo whenever they need spots filled really though.
Its a good 50/50 12s and 48s.. we only have 2 24 stations of a,b,c Shifts. Everything but Bakersfield is stations no posting 48s

Angel

Paramedic
Do you know if they do ride alongs? (especially for prospective employees) im liking everything I hear TBH, ive seen EMS at its worst and lowest and know I wouldn't want to work for a company like that. a place that invests in its employees and making this into a CAREER is a place I want to work. Im casting a wide net for jobs because ideally id stay in norcal/reno but this place seems awesome and ive never heard any bad things about the JOB, just the LOCATION.
Oh on their website where they give you a range of $$ up to 69K for medics and 42K for EMTs-is that the raise youre talking about or OT?

Thanks a ton for the info!

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
The website I still has the old ranges. But ya they are without OT. This place is a career place 56% of employees have been here over 5yrs. They don't like to hire people with fire background due to the possibility of that employee leaving and causing turnover. Ya the only thing I can say is that its far from home for a lot of people but its a big city so there is lots to do. We get bonuses for Christmas and recognize us for every compliment we get. If something as simple as an arm rest or radio is broken it get immediately taken out of service and replaced. I used to work in other places too so I really appreciate never been in a rig here with a broken radio or arm rest. Or just a in washed rig with armor all and everything wiped down.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any rise alongs. But you can ask.

OP
OP
J

Jacedc

Forum Probie
Do most people commute to work from outside kern county? Or do most people live in bakersfield or the surrounding area?

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Do most people commute to work from outside kern county? Or do most people live in bakersfield or the surrounding area?

I'd say the majority live in Bakersfield or the greater area, but there's a good number commuting from Tulare and LA County. Hall starts everyone on 12's and you can bid out to 48's, so that limits the commute at least at first.

OP
OP
J

Jacedc

Forum Probie
How is living in bakersfield? What are some areas to avoid if your looking for housing?

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
Do you know if they do ride alongs? (especially for prospective employees)

I don't know Hall's exact policy on ride alongs, but they have done them for people checking out the company. You're best bet is to call and ask.

Chupathangy

Forum Crew Member
Classroom is 2-3 weeks.

Is the class time and field time payed? Also does BLS manage to get some good calls as well?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Classroom is 2-3 weeks.

Is the class time and field time payed? Also does BLS manage to get some good calls as well?

Yes you are an employee by then.so its all paid.
Definitely. Bls runs downgraded 911 calls that have slipped through emd. And you will respond to high priority calls as a first responder if the als unit is farther away
You can also cancel als once your on scene.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I do not work for Hall. (I'm am paramedic in Tulare County) But I have never met an EMT or paramedic who went to Hall who does not say it is the best EMS decision they ever had made, and I know many Hall employees. If you want to work in a county where the ambulance has overall medical control and and fire is BLS and supports you rather than trying to run your call for you, then I would check out Kern County (Hall) or Tulare County (American of Visalia, Imperial in Porterville, Lifestar in Tulare) Also, most of the EMTs and Medics are really friendly up here and like their jobs.

Bakersfield is not the most exciting place ever, but it is not bad. The cost of living here is low and at least half the neighborhoods in town are really nice and safe, yet still affordable unlike LA and the Bay area. If you like outdoors activities, the Kern River, Lake Isabella, and the Sequoua National Forest are all in your backyard.

I moved to Central California from the LA area and I am glad I did. PM me if you have any questions about Tulare County companies.