grants and scholarships?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Wow, we had 28 in our EMT-B class and all of us passed.

*cough cough* of course I was top of the class *cough cough*

:D :D :D

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by Wingnut@Jun 21 2005, 02:38 PM

:D :D :D
i thnk we have a case of a swelled head here Dr. WHKR

OP
OP
S

silentneko

Forum Probie
I don't know much about the rest of the country, but in Vermont, yes, Police depts can hire people with no training and then put those trainees through the academy while paying them a training salary. EMS and Fire are much the same

its the exact opposite for ems/fire rescue here. you can't get hired until your state certified in atleast emt-b and fire. no dept. pays for training in south florida, unless you somehow are lucky enough to get hired as a emt-b/firefighter, then maybe they will pay for paramedic training, but thats it.

wingnut thank you for the help I'll be checking your links thoroughly later tonight.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I suggest getting with a school academic/financial counselor. There are some grant & scholarschips for healtcare students. Also, unless you are locked in location some EMS services offer tution benefits, for a conractual employment.

Good luck,
Ridryder 911

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Wingnut@Jun 21 2005, 01:38 PM

***COUGH,****

I was top as well...

**COUGH***

Notice, we are both ladies.....and we were top of our classes...so whats that tell all you guys..
:D
GIRLS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOYS DROOL
in addition we had 20 start, 8 pass

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by silentneko@Jun 21 2005, 03:56 PM
I don't know much about the rest of the country, but in Vermont, yes, Police depts can hire people with no training and then put those trainees through the academy while paying them a training salary. EMS and Fire are much the same

its the exact opposite for ems/fire rescue here. you can't get hired until your state certified in atleast emt-b and fire. no dept. pays for training in south florida, unless you somehow are lucky enough to get hired as a emt-b/firefighter, then maybe they will pay for paramedic training, but thats it.

wingnut thank you for the help I'll be checking your links thoroughly later tonight.
The sheriff's dept here does hire, then train but EMS & Fire don't. The only exception is that they will soon mandate that paramedics go through the fire academy and the cost will be taken care of by our county. Right now a firefighter does have to become an EMT, and I think the fire dept assists in paying for it, but not the whole cost and only if you're already employed with the fire dept.

Princess, we do rule!

And my head isn't swollen, it's slightly inflated. :D

aristigal

Forum Probie
All I can tell you is what I found here. In CT when I went to EMT class the FD that I belonged to payed for it. As for Fire Academy you could take all the same classes through the FD but it would take longer because you would have to wait till the were offered. In NY and CT I know and dept that wants to hire you sends you to the academy anyway. In CT my husband has a cousin that has been 3 times!!!!!! Every time you switch Depts you have to do it again.

As for Medic school....I moved to NY after all EMT-B. Here I joined a volly co. The county here pays for the first year of medic school if you are a volunteer. The second year was paid by the squad I joined. Not all of them do it but some do. One of the guys in my class got a volunteer recruiting and retention grant for his tuition. But they are rare. I wish you the best. and Good Luck!!!

OP
OP
S

silentneko

Forum Probie
ok well like I said before florida is a bit different. there is alot of competition for jobs here so there is no need for them to pay for training. its nice to hear about how other states work but, and not to be rude, its not really helping my problem. someone somewhere knows of something, a grant, a loan, a scholarship, anything. if doctors, nurses, physical therepists, dentists...........can get help then there must be something for us.

oh and by the way :p I was top of my class too :D and I'm very very much a man ;)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I took mine here is Florida. There were not grants/scholarships/loans available. However, the school I went to gave me a Need Based Grant. Basically, according to my FAFSA, I would have qualifed for student loans if they were available for the EMT class. BUT, since there is not federal/state funding for a certification non-degree seeking program, the college provided me with a $1200 grant to cover tuition, books, uniforms, physical, ect.

That is a good place to look. Ask the school you want attend if they offer a need based grant.

They also offer if for the Fire Acadmy and Medic course there as well.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Princess / Wingnut

I was #1 in my class, perfect attendance as well :p :p

And I am NOT a girl....

So just because you were #1 is not proof positive that girls are any better than guys......

Now excuse me, I've got to go... I've got cheerleading practice :ph34r:

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Princess / Wingnut

And I am NOT a girl....

So just because you were #1 is not proof positive that girls are any better than guys......

Jon

OP
OP
S

silentneko

Forum Probie
I'm done with emt, I did it at broward community college and got a loan for it. next I'll be going to coral springs fire academy, which is a private school and they told me they know of no loans, grants, or scholarships that apply to them. but its ok cause I have just enough money to go there. I'm looking for a way to get the $5000 needed to go to fmti for paramedic, and a way to pay for rent. fmti doesn't offer any grants...either. :( maybe I should just become a cop?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Well if Princess was able to get it from her school based on her FAFSA, I'd definitely go talk to the financial advisor at your school. A lot of times they have access to programs that we can't find on our own. If you REALLY want it too, you might consider getting your AS degree, you'll definitely get a Pell grant for that. Like I said before I've gotten some hefty refunds from that grant.

Hey Jon,

:p :p :p

vtemti

Forum Captain
Not only might you get a Pell grant through FASFA, but you may also qualify for a low interest federal loan where payments are differed until I think it is 6 months after graduation. This gives you a chance to get settled in a job.

As for Princess and Wingnut; Yeah right, I don't see any "rub it in" going on here. :p

And Jon, I'm at a loss for words. :huh:

OP
OP
S

silentneko

Forum Probie
guys I appreciate it, but like I said these are private academies, which means the pell grants and fasfa don't apply. I could go to the regular academies, but they currently have a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 year wait!!!! :angry:

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jun 22 2005, 02:01 PM
Princess / Wingnut

And I am NOT a girl....

Jon
1. you are the proof that just because you are first in your class, you don't always make a good EMT

2. you told me you stopped that. plus i haven't seen you there in weeks... where have you been hiding? The coach is getting upset with you.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by PArescueEMT+Jun 25 2005, 10:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PArescueEMT @ Jun 25 2005, 10:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Jun 22 2005, 02:01 PM
Princess / Wingnut

And I am NOT a girl....

Jon
1. you are the proof that just because you are first in your class, you don't always make a good EMT

2. you told me you stopped that. plus i haven't seen you there in weeks... where have you been hiding? The coach is getting upset with you. [/b][/quote]
BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Jun 25 2005, 12:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Jun 25 2005, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Jun 22 2005, 01:01 PM

And I am NOT a girl....

Who said you were?

<_< [/b][/quote]
even though you do act like one :p

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by PArescueEMT+Jun 25 2005, 11:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PArescueEMT @ Jun 25 2005, 11:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jun 25 2005, 12:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon
@Jun 22 2005, 01:01 PM

And I am NOT a girl....

Who said you were?

<_<
even though you do act like one :p [/b][/quote]
Oh?