Giving my name out on calls...

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Last night I responded to an intox call in a dorm on the college campus in our district... In the room was an RA (Resident Assistant- basically a student who is in charge of the floor of his/her dorm. They have reports and documentation that have to go to student conduct of the intoxicated pt) After the call the RA asked me and my parter for our names for his report. Are we required to give our names out to the RA? I did, my partner refused.

We are required to wear our name and cert level in plain view at all times, so that is a non-issue here. Why did your partner refuse? What are they afraid of?

Are you a private service? If not and you are governmental then people have a right to know.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
As a general rule, I only give one name when on call. Usually my first name, unless I'm on a crew with another crew-member going by the same name. In that case I will just give my last name, which actually sounds more feminine than my first name.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Being identifiable makes me accountable. I find among my coworkers that people who have trouble with the first tend to have trouble with the second.
That said, I introduce myself with my first name and tend not to give my last name unless asked.
I've had a number of patients ask me for my last name as a way of intimidating me with potential complaints/legal action. It seems like the best way to defuse that threat is to answer immediately and cheerfully.

This.

Professionals are identifiable. Although it's true that people who know your name will sometimes make trouble for you, it's not true that you can avoid trouble by trying to hide, and trying just makes you look skeevy. Wear visible indication of name and position, identify yourself when asked, and probably put your Facebook on private.

Edit: and don't be the kind of a-hole that people want to track down and do things to.