Giving my name out on calls...

broken stretcher

Forum Crew Member
Last night I responded to an intox call in a dorm on the college campus in our district... In the room was an RA (Resident Assistant- basically a student who is in charge of the floor of his/her dorm. They have reports and documentation that have to go to student conduct of the intoxicated pt) After the call the RA asked me and my parter for our names for his report. Are we required to give our names out to the RA? I did, my partner refused.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Why would you not?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think you'd be hard pressed to find law or legislation requiring you to identify yourself. Providing an employee or unit number should be adequate.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If I have a name at all it would be just my first name. More than likely I would have just gave my medic number (Medic 301)

OP
OP
B

broken stretcher

Forum Crew Member
I was just speaking in terms of laws. I had no problem but i wanted to know if i was required to give my name out to a civilian. even though some of these RA students think they are law enforcement :blush:

I was just speaking in terms of laws. I had no problem but i wanted to know if i was required to give my name out to a civilian. even though some of these RA students think they are law enforcement :blush:

I used to work on a college campus and I agree that some student RA's take their jobs seriously.

Whenever I encounter a patient, this is how I go about introducing myself. "Hi, I'm Bruce, I'm an EMT with XYZ Ambulance. How can I assist you today."

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

Good lord. We are civilians, as are cops and firefighters. Why foster this us vs. them mentality? The RA needed documentation, and you needed to run the call. Your PCR is going to be accessible to the patient anyway, so what difference does it make if the RA also knows your first name? I know you said you had no problem giving your name out, but I don't see the point in questioning the legality of it either. Seems like a fairly common and innocuous question to me.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
When people ask for my name I usually just give my first name and the company name or the unit number.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Did the RA and student life thing for 5 years. no, it's not required, but it does help in our reports for our bosses. I'd get EMS unit number and agency. I'd only specifically ask for LEO names, that way they could easily coordinate with the agency about any pending charges. Likewise, the LEOs would take our names for their reports.

Colleges are big on documenting everything to a point of total redundancy just to hid from any legal action. I'd just give the RA Unit # and agency, and little hassle... The job is miserable, and about as thankless as you can get.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Ridiculous. I make it a point to introduce myself to patients and my flight suit has my full name embroidered on it. Why wouldn't you give your name...were you embarrassed by your care or behavior?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ridiculous. I make it a point to introduce myself to patients and my flight suit has my full name embroidered on it. Why wouldn't you give your name...were you embarrassed by your care or behavior?

I introduce myself. I'd just rather not tell patients my last name.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I introduce myself. I'd just rather not tell patients my last name.

Why not? If people ask me my name, I generally always give my full name. I'm not ashamed of what I do, and I'm not scared of them "tracking me down" or suing me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why not? If people ask me my name, I generally always give my full name. I'm not ashamed of what I do, and I'm not scared of them "tracking me down" or suing me.

I have never had a patient want my last name. When they ask my name I just say my first and have yet to have anyone ask my last.

My full name is on my name badge but those don't really stand out.

I have not had anyone track me down but do have some friends who have been tracked down on Facebook by former patients who had some psych issues. That's just something I want to avoid and not have to deal with at all.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Last night I responded to an intox call in a dorm on the college campus in our district... In the room was an RA (Resident Assistant- basically a student who is in charge of the floor of his/her dorm. They have reports and documentation that have to go to student conduct of the intoxicated pt) After the call the RA asked me and my parter for our names for his report. Are we required to give our names out to the RA? I did, my partner refused.

Your name and credentials go on the patient chart is a legal document. So yeah, if they ask for it give it, unless you are specifically forbidden to do so according to your company's rules and regulations.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I have never had a patient want my last name. When they ask my name I just say my first and have yet to have anyone ask my last.

My full name is on my name badge but those don't really stand out.

I have not had anyone track me down but do have some friends who have been tracked down on Facebook by former patients who had some psych issues. That's just something I want to avoid and not have to deal with at all.

My Facebook profile is private, so only those I friend can see my details. If someone wanted to endeavor to actually track my profile down, they wouldn't get much, so that isn't ever a concern for me.

To me, it seems like giving out your name is benign. Those who don't have an irrational fear of the people they are treating, which only begets further distrust.

I am proud of my name, and proud of my reputation. Why would I fear giving out my full name unless I was doing something untrustworthy or something that would get me into trouble?

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Also, refusing to give your name (as I have seen people do) makes people really wary of you, and it makes them question why you refuse to identify yourself. They start to think that you have something to hide, and that what you are doing isn't kosher. By fully identifying yourself with your whole name, company name and unit number (when asked) is a way of showing that you aren't afraid of them or the situation.

Ever have someone demand your name or "badge number"? If you immediately offer all your info to them it conveys a sense of trust in also infers that you are above reproach. You have nothing to hide, so they can be as indignant as they want or file a complaint with your supervisor, but you are in the right and identifying yourself only proves that.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Also, refusing to give your name (as I have seen people do) makes people really wary of you, and it makes them question why you refuse to identify yourself. They start to think that you have something to hide, and that what you are doing isn't kosher. By fully identifying yourself with your whole name, company name and unit number (when asked) is a way of showing that you aren't afraid of them or the situation.

Ever have someone demand your name or "badge number"? If you immediately offer all your info to them it conveys a sense of trust in also infers that you are above reproach. You have nothing to hide, so they can be as indignant as they want or file a complaint with your supervisor, but you are in the right and identifying yourself only proves that.

While we have numbers on our badges I have no clue what mine is. (Haven't looked, don't care to).

I have never had a patient ask for my last name. I'll gladly give any patient my first name, cert level, company name, and unit number. With that information they can easily file a complain against me. I have yet to hear anyone on scene (Fire and EMS) give their last name.

Heck with the fire departments they don't wear their uniform shifts on calls so they don't have a name tag. You can't tell who is the medic and who are the EMTs on the engines.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Because there is simply no reason for them to have it. Why would they even want it? How is it useful to them?

It's just basic personal security. I also don't give my social security number or home address to every member of the public that I come across....

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
How about providing your name and credentials as a trust issue? If a person who is providing medical care to me or my family member WON'T provide me with their name, I'm going to have a problem with that.

And seriously, why wouldn't you give it? I find the "patients tracking me down" argument is an urban legend. And even if patients and bystanders don't remember it, introducing yourself sets the stage for a professional interaction. I always say, while I'm shaking hands or feeling for a pulse, "Hi, I'm DE Medic, a paramedic from the county. What's going on today?" When dealing with older patients it's respectful. And if a family member, LEO or corporate security person wants my name, I'm only too happy to give it to them, along with a card that has our contact info.

And nobody will ever ask for your social security number or home address while your on a call, so try to keep hyperbole out of your argument.

Last edited by a moderator: