Giving my name out on calls...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
And seriously, why wouldn't you give it? I find the "patients tracking me down" argument is an urban legend.

For an urban legend I know an awful lot of people it has happened to. At least 2 Co workers and a couple of nurses. Facebook, LinkedIn, and those personal information collection sites make it a matter of a Google search to find some people.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Is this thread about not giving your name to a pt or not giving your name to a random person on scene who is not in your care or related to anyone in your care?

If a pt asks for my name I will give it to them. If a bystander or some random person wants my name I will give my first name. I was an RA and while there is paperwork we had to do writing "EMS arrived, treated and transported my resident " was sufficient. We did not need the EMT or Medics names. Only the service they worked for. I understand different schools may have different rules but unless the RA has pertinent information for me they would be asked to leave the room along with other "bystanders"

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
For an urban legend I know an awful lot of people it has happened to. At least 2 Co workers and a couple of nurses. Facebook, LinkedIn, and those personal information collection sites make it a matter of a Google search to find some people.

I have had 2 former pts track me down on facebook (kept sending me random messages until I blocked them) and 2 show up at our base at all random hours. They somehow knew my schedule an would always show up when I was there. police had to get involved each time.

Our ID tags have our full name, medic number and picture on them.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Our ID tags have our full name, medic number and picture on them.

As do ours so whether I give it or not all they have to do is look at my shoulder where my IDs hang.

In 10 years Ive never heard of one of our employees being tracked down or bothered by a patient after a call.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How about providing your name and credentials as a trust issue? If a person who is providing medical care to me or my family member WON'T provide me with their name, I'm going to have a problem with that.

And seriously, why wouldn't you give it? I find the "patients tracking me down" argument is an urban legend. And even if patients and bystanders don't remember it, introducing yourself sets the stage for a professional interaction. I always say, while I'm shaking hands or feeling for a pulse, "Hi, I'm DE Medic, a paramedic from the county. What's going on today?" When dealing with older patients it's respectful. And if a family member, LEO or corporate security person wants my name, I'm only too happy to give it to them, along with a card that has our contact info.

And nobody will ever ask for your social security number or home address while your on a call, so try to keep hyperbole out of your argument.

I introduce myself the same way I would to people I am meeting for the first time. What benefit is there if the patient has my last name? I have never had any trust issues because I did not give my last name. It's information that is not going to help that patient at all. If I get asked where I live, I will normally name the city our office is in. It's info that is not needed and will not help or make that patient feel any better.

"Hi, I'm John with the ambulance company. What's going on today?" Works just as well as "Hi, I'm John Doe with the ambulance company. What's going on today?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If a person who is providing medical care to me or my family member WON'T provide me with their name, I'm going to have a problem with that.

If you choose to not trust someone just because they introduce themselves with their first name and title rather than with their first name, last name, and title, then that's your decision. But I think it's going to cause you a lot more problems than it does me.

Don't forget, you are the one who called 911 asking for someone to come help.

And nobody will ever ask for your social security number or home address while your on a call, so try to keep hyperbole out of your argument.

My SS# = personally identifying information that has no bearing on communication between myself and a patient, and for which I am not normally asked by a patient.
My address = personally identifying information that has no bearing on communication between myself and a patient, and for which I am not normally asked by a patient.
My last name = personally identifying information that has no bearing on communication between myself and a patient, and for which I am not normally asked by a patient.

If I wouldn't share one, I don't know why I would be expected to share the other.

"Hi, I'm John with the ambulance company. What's going on today?" Works just as well as "Hi, I'm John Doe with the ambulance company. What's going on today?"

Exactly. I don't recall ever being asked for my last name, nor have I ever had a problem being "trusted" because I introduce myself by my first name.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Withholding your last name because you fear people knowing who you are is silly. To me, it seems that those who say they would not give out their name to a patient perhaps don't have enough field or life experience to realize that giving your name is benign. If someone wants to track you down, not giving them your name won't stop them. But I have never had this happen or heard of it happening.

And so what if someone finds you on Facebook? Block them and move on.

Yeah, I wouldn't give out my home address or personal phone number, but those are vastly different from simply identifying myself. I agree; avoid exaggerating.

Using your last name is also professional. Doctors identify themselves as Dr. _____ and don't use their first names. Do you think they worry about people tracking them down? They make a lot more money than medics, spend a lot more time with the patients (sometimes) and often see many more patients in a day than a medic will.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Ridiculous. I make it a point to introduce myself to patients and my flight suit has my full name embroidered on it. Why wouldn't you give your name...were you embarrassed by your care or behavior?

This.

If a patient asks my name I'll give it to them, its on my ID badge anyway. not a big deal. Secondly there's four of us with the same first name at my service so its not to much of a worry. Second most people who know me and work with me use my last name its been like that for years hard to break that habit.

If a patient wants to know my name, Or a LEO or RA needed my name and company for a report so be it. I've had one paitent find me on facebook and she just wanted to say thanks I was what she needed at that moment in her life. We still keep in touch and has no issues with stalking or getting all crazy.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
To me, it seems that those who say they would not give out their name to a patient perhaps don't have enough field or life experience to realize that giving your name is benign.

So you are saying that someday, when I have finally achieved the experience and wisdom that you have, I'll hold all the same opinions as you?

If someone wants to track you down, not giving them your name won't stop them. But I have never had this happen or heard of it happening.

Well I can tell you that it does happen. People keep saying it doesn't, but you've had 3 people in this thread alone tell you that it's happened to them or someone that they know. Do you think we are all lying?

Being "tracked down" actually isn't my top concern, anyway.

your last name is also professional. Doctors identify themselves as Dr. _____ and don't use their first names. Do you think they worry about people tracking them down? They make a lot more money than medics, spend a lot more time with the patients (sometimes) and often see many more patients in a day than a medic will.

The clinical area is very different than some crack house in the ghetto or the living room of some meth head's trailer.

Though even in the OR and ICU, I introduce myself by my first name and title and don't recall ever being asked for my last name, or having someone focus on my name badge as though they were trying to read my last name. Some may and I don't notice it, but I just don't think most people are very concerned about it. Again, whether in the field or the hospital, I have never had someone stop me after my introduction and demand to know my last name. They generally want to talk about their injury or their clinical situation or their anesthetic plan, not about me.

I don't understand why paramedics so frequently feel the need to compare themselves to other clinicians, or to point to what other clinicians do as evidence that they should be doing the same thing. Paramedics are not doctors. They are not nurses or PA's. They have a different education and do a different job in a different environment. What works well in one area isn't necessarily a good idea in another. A reasonable expectation for one is not necessarily reasonable for another.

I also think professionalism is defined by far more important factors than whether or not you have made a habit of introducing yourself by just your first, or both your first and last names.

But hey, what do I know, I don't have much field or life experience yet. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
B

broken stretcher

Forum Crew Member
Is this thread about not giving your name to a pt or not giving your name to a random person on scene who is not in your care or related to anyone in your care?

Exactly I have no issue giving it to family. Im talking about RA's on college campuses... People with no relation to the pt and who just write reports to cover the college and for the student conduct people on the college campus. OF course I introduce my self to all pt's and would have no issue giving it to a its family member if i was in a private residence

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
My last name = personally identifying information that has no bearing on communication between myself and a patient, and for which I am not normally asked by a patient.

I'm screwed...too many Christopher's so everybody calls me by my last name. I gave up on it a while ago :(

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
As someone who was an RA, EMT, and was stalked by a patient, I feel like I could weigh in here.

I don't give my last name on calls unless asked. It's not due to fear or anything, it's just because it's rarely needed. If asked what my last name is I answer--it's on my uniform shirt anyway. Every ambulance company I've volunteered or worked for has listed all the staff on the website anyway, so it would be child's play to Facebook search through the handful of "Nicks" on the roster and find me. Like, for example, what a certain college student did to me after she fell for my roguish good looks on a call. She then proceeded to call 911 fourteen times in an attempt to see me. It was an interesting month to say the least.
But it would have happened even if I told her my name was Artichoke, she could just request a copy of the run report. Or just kept calling 911 until I showed up again and read my shirt.
At the end of the day, it's a risk we take in healthcare, just like violent patients. She ended up getting counselling and it all ended fine.

As an RA, I don't see why that information is needed, and you're certainly not legally required to disclose it to the RA. I always just wrote "Student XXX was transported by YYY EMS to ZZZ hospital" and that was fine for our Student Life dept. That being said, if any legal action is going to be taken your name is on the run report so is it really a big deal?

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I usually introduce myself using my last name only. "Hello sir I am paramedic XXXXX from XXXXX ambulance service. What is going on today?" All EMTs and Paramedics in our four county area have to wear photo ID cards with their cert level, cert number, and full name, so I figure the patient will see the card anyway so I might as well introduce myself. This goes for the rural area I work in as well as Fresno in the next county north which has over 500,000 and a lot of crime. I have never personally had a problem with being stalked although a couple of patients have tried to add me on facebook which I declined.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Being identifiable makes me accountable. I find among my coworkers that people who have trouble with the first tend to have trouble with the second.
That said, I introduce myself with my first name and tend not to give my last name unless asked.
I've had a number of patients ask me for my last name as a way of intimidating me with potential complaints/legal action. It seems like the best way to defuse that threat is to answer immediately and cheerfully.

CFal

Forum Captain
As someone who was an RA, EMT, and was stalked by a patient, I feel like I could weigh in here.

I don't give my last name on calls unless asked. It's not due to fear or anything, it's just because it's rarely needed. If asked what my last name is I answer--it's on my uniform shirt anyway. Every ambulance company I've volunteered or worked for has listed all the staff on the website anyway, so it would be child's play to Facebook search through the handful of "Nicks" on the roster and find me. Like, for example, what a certain college student did to me after she fell for my roguish good looks on a call. She then proceeded to call 911 fourteen times in an attempt to see me. It was an interesting month to say the least.
But it would have happened even if I told her my name was Artichoke, she could just request a copy of the run report. Or just kept calling 911 until I showed up again and read my shirt.
At the end of the day, it's a risk we take in healthcare, just like violent patients. She ended up getting counselling and it all ended fine.

As an RA, I don't see why that information is needed, and you're certainly not legally required to disclose it to the RA. I always just wrote "Student XXX was transported by YYY EMS to ZZZ hospital" and that was fine for our Student Life dept. That being said, if any legal action is going to be taken your name is on the run report so is it really a big deal?

where did she fall on the vicky-mendoza diagonal?

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Just imagine how you'd feel if a Dr, who was trying to provide treatment, refused to identify him or herself.

I am searchable by my name or license number through a state mandated, public accessible, database that lists current status and any past disciplinary actions, etc.

So for me, this is really a moot point. I readily identify myself.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
My full name was on my uniform so I never exactly had a choice. Never really cared either except the few times I have been threatened by a patient.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have no problem giving out my name. I'm professional at work and I'm accountable for my actions. If a patient asks I'll gladly supply them my name whether it be for a complaint or a compliment.

With that said we have dangerous areas and in certain situations I won't divulge it but it's on my shirt anyways so there's not a lot I can do about it if they're observant.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I prefer people calling me by my last name and almost everyone I know calls me by it. That said, I almost habitually give out my last name. I don't really care.

If someone happens to find me on facebook, oh well, block 'em. Pretty hard to find me on google, like someone said (oh c'mon, tell me you've never googled yourself... :rofl:).
Maybe one day I'll meet one of those people that had an experience with it and that'll change my mind, but I don't really see it happening.