Getting Fired After Failing The Training

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
There is a company in Los Angeles that hires people and if you failed the Ambulance Attendant training or the Ambulance Driver training or both in 2 weeks, you can get fired.
And if so, does it reflect as a bad record to your employment career and to your EMT Career?
I have a friend who passed his EMT-Attendant training however he failed the EMT-Drivers training and he got fired after failing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
There is a company in Los Angeles that hires people and if you failed the Ambulance Attendant training or the Ambulance Driver training or both in 2 weeks, you can get fired.

Isn't that called a "probationary period" and pretty standard at just about every place that hires anyone, including, but not limited to, ambulance companies?

OP
OP
V

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
Isn't that called a "probationary period" and pretty standard at just about every place that hires anyone, including, but not limited to, ambulance companies?

Yeah, he is in probationary period but if he get fired does he get a permanent bad record in his EMS career?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, he is in probationary period but if he get fired does he get a permanent bad record in his EMS career?

I see you're in California. I can say that in Maryland, the answer to your question would be No. The state-wide EMS oversight agency maintains records of which EMS organizations a person has been affiliated with, but the record, to my knowledge, does not include information on why affiliations are discontinued. In other words, the record does not say why a person is fired, or even that they're fired at all; it just says that they're no longer affiliated with that organization, whether it's a municipal or volunteer fire department or company, a private ambulance service, or some other business.

I haven't paid much attention to news regarding EMS in CA, but I understand that right now, a state-wide EMS personnel tracking system is being implemented. Whether that system will include specifics, such as what a person is fired for, or whether it's just going to track basic info such as MD's system, I don't know. JPINFV seems pretty knowledgable about CA EMS law, and can probably provide more info about that.

Keep in mind, though, that although there may be no bad record in an EMS database somewhere, the previous employer will maintain that information for a few years. If your friend applies for a position with another company, and lists the previous employer, and the new company contacts the old company, they may find out about it. That may make it sound as if your friend shouldn't list the former employer on an application, but that is a Bad Idea. Background checks are routine for EMS employers, and a simple check with the Social Security Administration will reveal his former employment, so if it isn't mentioned on the application, that's automatic grounds for the application to be rejected. Now, the previous employer, if actually contacted, really shouldn't say anything more than, "No we would not hire that person again."

Your friend's best bet is to be truthful on his next round of applications, and explain why he was fired. He should try to find some way to make it sound as un-negative as possible, of course. Whatever the specific reason was, he should say that he now knows the right way to do it, and that he understands why it's important, etc.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Whilst EMS is a relatively small community, if you're not there for that long and don't put it on job history, no-one will question the absence of work.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Whilst EMS is a relatively small community, if you're not there for that long and don't put it on job history, no-one will question the absence of work.

I'm in agreement.

Additionally, the new State EMS system does not track employment record, rather if follows which counties you're certified in.

This company sounds like a real winner :rolleyes:

OP
OP
V

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
The company hired 4 people who just got out from school and they have 2 weeks to pass both attendant and driver which also includes there probationary period. Ending 1 guy got fired for failing the attendant and drivers training, and 2 of them including my friend got fired for passing the attendant but failing the drivers training. He start regretting why he had chosen this career to have a bad record because he had never been fired in any job and the school that he took his EMT class does not provide mapping and ambulance driving training. He got an A as an attendant and according to the company his performance as an attendant was wonderful but he sucks on driving. He asked the employer if he could just be an EMT-Attendant and the employer said that they need drivers not attendants.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The company hired 4 people who just got out from school and they have 2 weeks to pass both attendant and driver which also includes there probationary period. Ending 1 guy got fired for failing the attendant and drivers training, and 2 of them including my friend got fired for passing the attendant but failing the drivers training. He start regretting why he had chosen this career to have a bad record because he had never been fired in any job and the school that he took his EMT class does not provide mapping and ambulance driving training. He got an A as an attendant and according to the company his performance as an attendant was wonderful but he sucks on driving. He asked the employer if he could just be an EMT-Attendant and the employer said that they need drivers not attendants.

Mapping and driving is not part of the EMT-B curriculum. Why would a school waste time to teach it? And as an EMT-B, especially if owrking for an ALS level service, he'd spend most of his time driving, so the company's opinion makes sense.

OP
OP
V

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
Mapping and driving is not part of the EMT-B curriculum. Why would a school waste time to teach it? And as an EMT-B, especially if owrking for an ALS level service, he'd spend most of his time driving, so the company's opinion makes sense.

Yeah but 2 weeks of training is short especially for those people just got out from school and never been exposed in any EMS stuff except for just reading the book.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah but 2 weeks of training is short especially for those people just got out from school and never been exposed in any EMS stuff except for just reading the book.

Don't feel bad, I got let go as a paramedic, after just 10 days of field training. Every other preceptor wanted me to do things their way and if I didn't it was wrong. Even though the treatment was correct.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Don't feel bad, I got let go as a paramedic, after just 10 days of field training. Every other preceptor wanted me to do things their way and if I didn't it was wrong. Even though the treatment was correct.

If a place is that myopic, and are resistant or otherwise unwilling to entertain any efforts to promote forward thinking and crew resource management, than that's not a place that you want to work. "Our way or the highway" is a horrible company policy to have in effect.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
In my mind a Probationary period is a "No-fault" thing. Either of you can opt out without penalty, easily explained by "It's the usual...they put a bunch of people into the system on probation, and then picked and chose just a couple from there."

You don't even have to mention it, but if it comes up, there you have it.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

I disagree with that. Most employers require you to list all employers within the past 5 years-- and withholding information is grounds for termination when the company learns of this. While there may not be a statewide database of employers, it certainly looks fishy when you were only employed for a matter of weeks... no? When your new employer asks why you left are you going to tell them you failed critical components of your orientation?

medic417

The Truth Provider
If a place is that myopic, and are resistant or otherwise unwilling to entertain any efforts to promote forward thinking and crew resource management, than that's not a place that you want to work. "Our way or the highway" is a horrible company policy to have in effect.

Keep in mind there is more than one side to each story. :unsure:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Keep in mind there is more than one side to each story. :unsure:

I was speaking in the general sense, not in the OP's particular case. If a company/agency is resistant to forward thinking, they'll be left behind by more progressive agencies, and also likely have frustrated employees. No one likes a dictatorship.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I disagree with that. Most employers require you to list all employers within the past 5 years-- and withholding information is grounds for termination when the company learns of this. While there may not be a statewide database of employers, it certainly looks fishy when you were only employed for a matter of weeks... no? When your new employer asks why you left are you going to tell them you failed critical components of your orientation?
if you don't list your employers, most won't know where to look. if you don't list a company, your employer won't know (unless you hint or tell them or you apply to work for a neighboring company).

not listing an employer that you were employed at for a few weeks and got terminated from, or listing and had to explain why you were fired after only few weeks....

If you don't list it, I would wager no one will know about it

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
if you don't list your employers, most won't know where to look. if you don't list a company, your employer won't know (unless you hint or tell them or you apply to work for a neighboring company).

not listing an employer that you were employed at for a few weeks and got terminated from, or listing and had to explain why you were fired after only few weeks....

If you don't list it, I would wager no one will know about it

Completely wrong.

If you got paid on a previous job, and it wasn't an under-the-table cash deal or anything, then there's a record of your employment. Those records are looked for when background checks are conducted. You're right that the employer might not know where to look, but most employers don't do the background checks themselves; they've hired a contractor to do that for them. Professional background check companies know where to look. The information is there. The IRS has it, the Social Security Administration has it, other government agencies have it—even if no taxes were withheld from your paycheck.

The information is there, it isn't hard to find, and it's perfectly legal for a background checking agency to look for and get it if you've signed permission for the background check to be conducted.

Whether they actually do the background check, what they decide to do after finding out you withheld information, is up to the potential employer, of course. But if they want to find it, they will find it, make no mistake.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You are assuming they are doing more than a criminal background check.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
You are assuming they are doing more than a criminal background check.

Yes, because every EMS company I have worked for, and both volunteer departments I've been associated with, all have purported to do more than just a simple criminal background check.

In any event, why take a chance that's all the employer is going to do? It's best to be up front and honest about things like this. (This concept is called integrity, and I find it sad that this is apparently an alien concept to some EMS providers.) Anyway, there are ways of putting a positive spin on things like this, or to mitigate any negativity.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Completely wrong.

If you got paid on a previous job, and it wasn't an under-the-table cash deal or anything, then there's a record of your employment. Those records are looked for when background checks are conducted. You're right that the employer might not know where to look, but most employers don't do the background checks themselves; they've hired a contractor to do that for them. Professional background check companies know where to look. The information is there. The IRS has it, the Social Security Administration has it, other government agencies have it—even if no taxes were withheld from your paycheck.

The information is there, it isn't hard to find, and it's perfectly legal for a background checking agency to look for and get it if you've signed permission for the background check to be conducted.
I didn't say it was impossible to find. I said odd are you employer won't find it, and if you don't mention it, neither will they. not only that, but if your HR manager and EMS manager who interview you like you, and want to give you a job, I would be very shocked to hear that you will be offered the job and then be terminated because you omitted a job on your application.
Whether they actually do the background check, what they decide to do after finding out you withheld information, is up to the potential employer, of course. But if they want to find it, they will find it, make no mistake.
This I don't doubt. if they are looking, and if you look hard enough, you will find anything, especially if you have enough money to do a thorough check.
Yes, because every EMS company I have worked for, and both volunteer departments I've been associated with, all have purported to do more than just a simple criminal background check.
really? most volunteer EMS departments will fingerprint you and make sure you aren't a criminal, but that's the extent of their background check.

I work for an EMS agency, am a state employee, and have been in EMS for close to 10 years. When I applied to my current job (FT state employee), I DID NOT list every agency I have worked for and volunteered with. You would think that a state agency would have made a huge deal if I omitted a job I worked at if it was that important.

In any event, why take a chance that's all the employer is going to do? It's best to be up front and honest about things like this. (This concept is called integrity, and I find it sad that this is apparently an alien concept to some EMS providers.) Anyway, there are ways of putting a positive spin on things like this, or to mitigate any negativity.
back in 2002, I worked for an ambulance company called Able Ambulance. I worked there FOR A WEEK, before deciding it wasn't for me. I also worked for Long Branch EMS, for about a month, once a week. After getting tired with dealing with their scheduling nightmares, I left them to. Not only that, but in addition to my EMS work, I have worked a full time non-ems job up until 2006. When I applied to every EMS job, I put my FT job (as an IT contractor, I had a few of them), but non of the past ones. and it never caused a problem.

But your right, it's probably better to say you were fired from a job after a few weeks, and having to explain it to an interview committee (if they even give you an interview, many HR gate keepers won't even look at you), than to omit a short term thing and let the rest of your history and resume actually get you the job. I guess to each his or her own.