Generational Gaps

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I took the “LOL” approach to your reply and more often than not shoot for the “cool breeze” approach. Ain’t nobody mad, lol you just don’t listen.

Hearing and listening are two different concepts, but I suppose even in 2020 some concepts still can’t be taught via the interwebs.

Cool breeze?

And yeah, I'll agree. Pot, kettle on this incident

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
A probationary period is essential, I would never argue against that. All of the reasons that everyone have described as to why the probie year is important are valid, though if there is work to do be done and you're in the chair with your feet up you should be getting some chewing no matter how long you've been on (which fortunately happens here).

Continuing to keep members on a probationary period following the end of their taskbook and sign off by all the officers in the station/battalion is tradition that needs to find its way out. If you want people to contribute, silencing them for a year plus is not how you make that happen. Lots of people get into this job and "get it" pretty quick, let those folks contribute fully at this point and not wait for some arbitrary timeframe to pass by.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I keep asking what it is y'all are so upset about and I can't a clear answer.

Because what, he's got a red patch? That makes him right?

No, you cant find a clear answer that you want to hear.

While this isn’t unique to the current generation, it’s certainly more pronounced in an era where everyone is right and no one has the right to tell you that you’re wrong..

There‘s a meme going around with two people staring at a 6 from opposite ends, one sees a 9, the other sees a 6.. The original captain is that both are right, because changing your perspective changes what you see.. All warm and feels good.. I prefer the modified version of that meme that came out later, which crosses that caption out and essentially say: no, one of them is wrong, someone painted either a 9 or a 6 on the ground for a specific reason, but no one wants to look deeper to figure out the truth, they only want their own opinion to be right.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
No, you cant find a clear answer that you want to hear.
hold on... so you actually think that this behavior is acceptable?
A medic who would refuse more than 2 calls per shift. A medic who aggressively hated the job and bring a medic. A medic who left a messy truck and didn't want to clean anything. A medic who leaves the truck with barely any gas (I was driving, so yeah we stopped for gas as to not leave an empty truck for the next crew).

I heard him watching a TV show for most of the shift and when asking job related questions, was ignored or got an incomplete answer that wasn't sufficient.

If my reputation is being a young, eager EMT who actually likes the job and wants to do it well, then, whatever. The only other snip I've had with someone is the EMT-I who refused to admit you can ascultate a BP. They also bought a massage chair on shift and put it in the ambo. They also didn't believe me that the O2 bottle has a leak and got mad at me when she found it leaking.

Edit: He also made himself scarce when it was time to put up equipment. There's a storage unit we use for this particular outlying station that is his normal station. I couldn't lock it up because he disappeared.
This is the type of entitlement I was talking about. poor attitude, lack of professionalism, refusing to go on a call, would rather watch TV than help the new guy with job related questions.... and an EMT-I who doesn't understand how to auscultate a BP, and ignored the new guy who reported an issue, and then got mad at him when she found the issue.... For the record, I have no issues with the message chair, provided it didn't take the ambulance OOS or prevent them from doing their job.

The sound of hypocrisy is deafening. If the new guy does any of this, he's wrong, but it's OK for the old guy to do it, because he's not new. I'll repeat what I said earlier: want to be like old guys, which is why many of these poor behaviors continue. And once the new guy is accepted into the old guy circle, the cycle continues.

I am not saying @DragonClaw is right, and there are three sides to every story (and I have seen senior employees do similar things to newer employees)..... But just because you have been there longer, doesn't mean you don't have to act like a professional and train to be the best provider and employee that they can, because they will take 10% of your good habits, and 90% of your bad ones.

Continuing to keep members on a probationary period following the end of their taskbook and sign off by all the officers in the station/battalion is tradition that needs to find its way out.
yeah, that's stupid. if the officers say you are ready, why keep holding you back?

FiremanMike

Just a dude
hold on... so you actually think that this behavior is acceptable?

I'm saying that the story is probably exaggerated and is only being told from the perspective of the poster. If we were to look into this and add the perspective of the other people she's describing, we'd probably get a different answer, and the truth of what is actually occurring is somewhere in the middle.

Sure, if that's played out exactly as described, then it's unacceptable, but 20 years of working in this business leads me to view those claims with skepticism.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm saying that the story is probably exaggerated and is only being told from the perspective of the poster. If we were to look into this and add the perspective of the other people she's describing, we'd probably get a different answer, and the truth of what is actually occurring is somewhere in the middle.

Sure, if that's played out exactly as described, then it's unacceptable, but 20 years of working in this business leads me to view those claims with skepticism.

I may be many things, but I am not a liar, nor do I exaggerate for "believability"

I've been here a bit and I could leave out or make up things, but I would hope by now y'all would realize I don't.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I may be many things, but I am not a liar, nor do I exaggerate for "believability"

I've been here a bit and I could leave out or make up things, but I would hope by now y'all would realize I don't.

Look, I've been doing this a long time. I've heard hundreds of these "he/she doesn't do anything.. he/she refuses to fuel the truck" and all the way up to sensationalism like "he/she refuses to take more than 2 runs per shift". These stories always have another side and are almost never as sensational as they sound in their original telling or when the event originally occurred.

I have an even more unique perspective on things now that I'm on 40-hour and can see all of the crews. Now, I see a discussion or action played out on a Tuesday and then retold or relived on Wednesday with a completely different ending.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Now, I see a discussion or action played out on a Tuesday and then retold or relived on Wednesday with a completely different ending.

And it’s always super dramatic. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to tell the drama queens from the rest pretty early on and actively avoid them. Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
And it’s always super dramatic. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to tell the drama queens from the rest pretty early on and actively avoid them. Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.

What does that mean about the days of the week?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What does that mean about the days of the week?
He means that the stories change the further away from the "incident time and date of occurrence," generally based on the user's perspective. They get embellished, memories get skewed, and details are omitted. It's even worse when the old guys are complaining about the new kids, and how a simple misunderstand turns into a potentially career derailing rumor about clinical competence, especially when management hears about it and doesn't bother to investigate and just takes the rumor at face value.

I'm not saying that's what happening here, but it is a common thing.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
@DragonClaw, here's the problem, you presented behavior that is unacceptable of any provider, medic, EMT, of any experience. However, those of us who have been around a while have seen this story before. Some brand new EMT criticizing the behavior or skills of someone who, 1. is of a higher rank, 2. has many more years of experience. More often that not, it comes down to that person not understanding what's going on. I'm not saying that is you, or what you were doing. Also, taking any issue to management is a really good way to make sure you have a hard time getting along with anyone. Unless it's a life or death situation, you handle it yourselves. You work for AMR, right? AMR could care less about you or your partner, giving that company a reason to discipline anyone is not a good idea, unless like I said it's a matter of life and death.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
@DragonClaw, here's the problem, you presented behavior that is unacceptable of any provider, medic, EMT, of any experience. However, those of us who have been around a while have seen this story before. Some brand new EMT criticizing the behavior or skills of someone who, 1. is of a higher rank, 2. has many more years of experience. More often that not, it comes down to that person not understanding what's going on. I'm not saying that is you, or what you were doing. Also, taking any issue to management is a really good way to make sure you have a hard time getting along with anyone. Unless it's a life or death situation, you handle it yourselves. You work for AMR, right? AMR could care less about you or your partner, giving that company a reason to discipline anyone is not a good idea, unless like I said it's a matter of life and death.

Y'all really think I went to management as an "I'll show you" because my feeling were hurt? Ha. That I'm trying to prove anything?

I did not understand what was going on and her refused to explain anything. It's not in our training or protocol. I didn't name him in the incident until the sup made me.

Even when the intermediate publicly berated me and yelled at me in the hospital over the oxygen, with everything she did on shift , even mocked me about being able to auscultate a blood pressure I did not even mention that to supervision. Because I'm not trying to create trouble and it's not something that needed to be addressed really

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Did you ask anyone else? Your FTO?, Another employee who might have insight? I've never heard of an AMR op where you can straight out refuse calls for anything other than fatigue, injury, or mechanical. Maybe yours is the exception. I think you got an a-hole partner. Welcome to AMR, they're everywhere. But in my experience, everyone knows about them and will tell you the best way to deal. People who yell at newbies generally do it because it's how they were treated which is BS.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm glad to hear that once I have experience, anything I do is passable. I'll make sure to be especially aggressive with the trainees.

Sarcasm.

Did you ask anyone else? Your FTO?, Another employee who might have insight? I've never heard of an AMR op where you can straight out refuse calls for anything other than fatigue, injury, or mechanical. Maybe yours is the exception. I think you got an a-hole partner. Welcome to AMR, they're everywhere. But in my experience, everyone knows about them and will tell you the best way to deal. People who yell at newbies generally do it because it's how they were treated which is BS.

I mean, not that an FTO can't teach me anything now. But I'm cleared from training, have been. I'm not on a truck with one regularly.

And no, you can't refuse. I haven't heard him refuse to take a call personally, he just violently announced that to me and he'd beat his partners @$$ if we tried to bonus (take like 5 calls).

Yeah and I've not heard anything good about this guy.

But since I'm new, must be me. Darn basics. Just wanting to do their job and do it right.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I'm glad to hear that once I have experience, anything I do is passable. I'll make sure to be especially aggressive with the trainees.

Sarcasm.

I mean, not that an FTO can't teach me anything now. But I'm cleared from training, have been. I'm not on a truck with one regularly.

And no, you can't refuse. I haven't heard him refuse to take a call personally, he just violently announced that to me and he'd beat his partners @$$ if we tried to bonus (take like 5 calls).

Yeah and I've not heard anything good about this guy.

But since I'm new, must be me. Darn basics. Just wanting to do their job and do it right.

You have decades of experience between multiple people trying to talk you down off your ledge here and you come back even more aggressive than your previous posts?

I think we're done here..

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
You have decades of experience between multiple people trying to talk you down off your ledge here and you come back even more aggressive than your previous posts?

Talk me off a ledge? With pitchforks?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

It's fair to separate her complaint of her partners demeanor vs what's realistically an appropriate way to run the call. He can be a twat, but correct that rushing isn't the best approach. We've all met people who are good at what they do, but absolute ****s to be around.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
It's fair to separate her complaint of her partners demeanor vs what's realistically an appropriate way to run the call. He can be a twat, but correct that rushing isn't the best approach. We've all met people who are good at what they do, but absolute ****s to be around.

I'm not going to adamantly saying running hot was the right call. But refusing protocol and what the sup expects and shrugging off my questions because I had no idea what was going on? Not cool.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm not going to adamantly saying running hot was the right call. But refusing protocol and what the sup expects and shrugging off my questions because I had no idea what was going on? Not cool.
Quit beating a dead horse. No one wants to deal with that person anymore than a burn out. I created this thread for insight from the vast array of generations on this forum. Can we keep it somewhat on track?

In the words of one of my generations favorite rappers: "It ain't all about you..."