Frustrated NREMT in Los Angeles

Kaira

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone.

Let me start by stating my certifications: EMT-B, NREMT, LA County Scope of Practice, CPR/AED, CA Ambulance License.

Despite having all of these pricey qualifications, I have been having a lot of difficulty finding employment with an ambulance company. I have noticed that most, if not all, of the "reputable" ambulance companies in LA have CA EMT certification as a requirement for employment. I received my EMT-B license in another state, but am nationally registered. I have applied to several companies anyway (indicating that I have an NREMT certification and including the number as well as the LA County Scope of Practice) hoping that it would be something they are willing to overlook, but I have received emails from some saying that I do not meet their requirements specifically because of where I was certified. Most, however, just do not reply. I also have an ambulance license and prior experience as an EMT in a residential facility setting. Some companies specifically state they will hire new EMT's. So if they don't care about pre-hospital experience, it is quite obvious to me that my location of certification is the issue here. I have literally never had difficulty getting a job before, so this is very frustrating for me. I feel sort of stuck. I REALLY do not want to have to go through the whole course again just to have a CA license. This is extremely redundant and not cost-effective. I also considered just moving up to the paramedic level, but they require 6 months of EMT-B work in a pre-hospital setting. So where the heck am I supposed to go from here?!

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, has advice, or knows of reputable companies that will hire out-of-state licenses?

Thanks in advance!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ummm....yeah..you HAVE to have a CA EMT cert to be legally employed as an EMT anywhere in the state. Period.

OP
OP
K

Kaira

Forum Ride Along
Ummm....yeah..you HAVE to have a CA EMT cert to be legally employed as an EMT anywhere in the state. Period.

Then what in the world is the NREMT good for?!?!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The NREMT is just used as a way of saying that the holder meets the basic education to become an EMT. CA uses the NREMT as pretty much just a statewide test.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well NREMT is a Non-Profit Organization, NOT a government entity, and thus does not, and cannot directly license or certify you to practice themselves. That power is firmly in the hands of each individual State. NREMT works to create a nation wide scope and level of required education for each level (EMR, EMT, AEMT, Paramedic), and as such, they've been successful in getting 46 states to recognize NREMT certification, including California.

Basically as Desert just said, CA uses the NREMT test as its own test, but you still HAVE to apply for a state card to legally work. Yeah you've done the hard part and passed all the tests, basically all you should have to do now is fill out the app through the LEMSA you wanna work in (I'm assuming LA since you went ahead and got that extra 4 hr course on our "expanded scope"), pay for a Live Scan, pay the State, and wait for your card in the mail. Or you can just go to their website and the LEMSA will spell out specifically step by step on how to get your CA card (including reciprocity from other states)

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
As a practical matter of being legally able to practice in a state? Fairly useless... What the NREMT really is is proof that you have completed a recognized and standardized course of study, it's not meant to be a national certification.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Just use all of your pricey Certs to apply for a California certification through your county office. You can whine and complain all you want, but the bottom line is you need that card in order to work.

Also, that "extensive" list of qualifications you have is pretty much the bare minimum to work as an EMT here. Congrats.

OP
OP
K

Kaira

Forum Ride Along
Just use all of your pricey Certs to apply for a California certification through your county office. You can whine and complain all you want, but the bottom line is you need that card in order to work.

Also, that "extensive" list of qualifications you have is pretty much the bare minimum to work as an EMT here. Congrats.

Well, no one except you used the word extensive. I was just stating my certs to show I have the qualifications. Also no one is whining, I was simply confused, hence asking for advice. But I'm sure glad you posted just to be a jerk! Congrats.

OP
OP
K

Kaira

Forum Ride Along
Well NREMT is a Non-Profit Organization, NOT a government entity, and thus does not, and cannot directly license or certify you to practice themselves. That power is firmly in the hands of each individual State. NREMT works to create a nation wide scope and level of required education for each level (EMR, EMT, AEMT, Paramedic), and as such, they've been successful in getting 46 states to recognize NREMT certification, including California.

Basically as Desert just said, CA uses the NREMT test as its own test, but you still HAVE to apply for a state card to legally work. Yeah you've done the hard part and passed all the tests, basically all you should have to do now is fill out the app through the LEMSA you wanna work in (I'm assuming LA since you went ahead and got that extra 4 hr course on our "expanded scope"), pay for a Live Scan, pay the State, and wait for your card in the mail. Or you can just go to their website and the LEMSA will spell out specifically step by step on how to get your CA card (including reciprocity from other states)

This was extremely helpful. Thank you!!!

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, no one except you used the word extensive. I was just stating my certs to show I have the qualifications. Also no one is whining, I was simply confused, hence asking for advice. But I'm sure glad you posted just to be a jerk! Congrats.
I don't mix words... My advice was the same as the others: apply for a CA cert.

I guess I figured you wouldn't read a longer response since you didn't read the requirements to be employed in the state you moved to and chose not to believe the companies you applied to.

Last edited:

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
You must have a Ca EMT to work in Ca. Just follow the steps from the county's website and submit all the paperwork to them. They'll decide if your training meets the requirements. If it doesn't, you'll have to take the course again. You may also have to get a skills verification sign off.

•Current NREMT EMT card
•Letter from NREMT documenting passing the NREMT cognitive exam within past two years. (Out-of-State Reciprocity Requirement)

A course completion record documenting successful completion of an approved EMT coursewithin the past two years (out-of-state certification, timeframe may not be applicable)
NOTE: If course completion is greater than one year, a new Skills Competency Verification is required from an approved provider

Reciprocity Requirements:
Individuals trained and currently certified as an EMT, AEMT, EMT Intermediate, or Paramedic in another state, complete and submit all documents described for Initial EMT certification requirements. Email emtinfo@dhs.lacounty.gov for questions.

http://file.lacounty.gov/dhs/cms1_206670.pdf

FiremanMike

Just a dude

$$$$

In all seriousness, it does have some convenience factor depending on the state. A few years ago when I was hired for a flight medic position, I needed to obtain a Kentucky paramedic certification (or license, can't remember which way Kentucky swings) and the only way to get that is to show a current NR-P card. Had I maintained my NR-P from when I initially got it, it would have just been a matter of sending them my card and some money. As it were, I had to go through the entire process of getting my registry back ($$$$$$$$$$) before I could be granted KY certification...

Side note - I swore that time (as I did the first time) that I wouldn't EVER let my registry drop again. Fast forward 2 years, it expired and I didn't recert it.. lol

Welcome to EMTLife. As everyone has already said, apply for your state/county EMT certification. Once you have your state/county EMT certification start looking for EMS jobs specifically outside of the Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego County areas.