Former High School Bully

sop

Forum Lieutenant
What would you do if you got a call about a man or woman receiving a cut from a glass bottle, and you got on scene to find out the victim was a bully who used to pick on you daily in high school? Part two of the scenario is the former bully is drunk and starts bullying you like old times?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Situation 1) Wouldn't cahnge a single thing I do. I'll laugh to my self about their lives, but that's expected.

Situation 2) Describe bullying. Combative? PD and restraints. Just verbal? Back to the snicker from answer one.

But these are purely hypothetical, because I was never picked on by bullies, in high school or otherwise.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
My answer: 10 gauge in the EJ bilaterally. IO in the sternum for backup and good measure.

Right Answer: Treat them as any other patient and do not deviate from the standard of care.

Commentary: If it feels good to say or do it (to a supervisor or the public) it is probably wrong. :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
My answer: 10 gauge in the EJ bilaterally. IO in the sternum for backup and good measure.

I hope you're joking.

You treat them as any other patient. Your past problems should have no part in patient care, and if it does you should allow your partner to tech or call for another unit, if possible.

because I was never picked on by bullies,

Suuure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be glad to see that they were still alive! I hope I have kinda outgrown the revenge thing... it's called maturity.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
any patient who is violent, you call the cops.

who care sif he used to bully you? Life moves on.

imurphy

Forum Captain
Be glad to see that they were still alive! I hope I have kinda outgrown the revenge thing... it's called maturity.

R/r 911

Unfortunately, maturity not always there. In fact, (probably linked here) some new EMTs are not out of High school that long....

Hopefully, common sense prevails!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Call my mommy.

.................................:glare:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
some new EMTs are not out of High school that long....

Maturity isn't always related to age. I've met many "Adults" who are more immature than most 7th graders. Likewise, I've met a few "kids" who are more mature than many adults.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Kill 'em with kindness! :wub:

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Take my ball, go home, start that P90X thing, some back in 90 days and beat the crap out of them.

And...
Sadly, in this place, I need to state for the record "just kidding".

Foxbat

Forum Captain
I'm going to be the pessimistic one here.
If patient's condition is serious enough and the outcome is less than perfect, how is you history with the patient going to look for you?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I actually had the opportunity to treat a former bully of mine. I treated him just as I would any other patient. Most high school bullying situations tend to simmer with time, specifically towards the end of high school and the beginning of adulthood (in my experience, anyway). I actually saw him just a few weeks ago and we talked like old friends. I remarked that he was doing better since the last time I saw him. He asked what I meant, and I said that last time I'd seen him I was scooping him into an ambulance. He goes "That was you?!?" So me treating him didn't have any impact on his perception of me. Life goes on and people change.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
What would you do if you got a call about a man or woman receiving a cut from a glass bottle, and you got on scene to find out the victim was a bully who used to pick on you daily in high school? Part two of the scenario is the former bully is drunk and starts bullying you like old times?

2 things.

1. This situation is farcicle. A person wants to be silly, then you walk away. You control the scene, not the patient. Call for back up.

2. If you feel the need to ask this question, choose another profession because it sounds like you have too many issues that will prevent you from providing dicrimination free & judgement free treatment to your patients.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
0.1mg/kg of Midazolam. Not my problem anymore. B)

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
Maturity isn't always related to age. I've met many "Adults" who are more immature than most 7th graders. Likewise, I've met a few "kids" who are more mature than many adults.

You're not kidding! I've worked in a few industries and there are more drama queens and whiny little girls working in this industry than any other I've ever seen. See whining about bullying for reference...