For those of you who have been doing this awhile...

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
In your service, how many people would you say, and I hate using cliches, "burn out" and how fast? I run 2-3 calls a day, and I can't imagine getting sick of it, btu I hear it happens a lot...I want to get my medic and do it professionally, for a living, but if its something i'm going to hate after 5 years, then I may rethink it. Right now, I love it, just for the record.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
5 years seems to be the average, but remember that average means just that. I've seen some people "burn out" in the first year, and some keep on doing it for 20+ years. It really depends on the individual and how they deal with the stresses associated with being in EMS.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I know a man who was a great EMT. He teched, as a volunteer, close to 1,000 calls per year for 2 years. He then left the department.

I have had minor burnouts a couple times, over the past 6 years. Usually when I'm not sleeping enough and I'm working full time plus being at the FD full time - I also lived about 1 block away, so when the sirens went off, they shook me out of bed - I ended up making a rule that if I wasn't going to get 5 hours or more sleep that night, then I would only respond if there was a signal 3 (more manpower needed). That seemed to help a bit.

Now, I miss is sooooooooooooo much... going on 5 weeks without riding at my usual gig because of my back. I have done a few minor things EMS related in the last 2 weeks or so, but definitely not what I usually do.

I wouldn't worry too much about burnout, but be aware of yourself and if your feelings towards doing this start to change - then maybe it's time to step back a little and give yourself a break. It's really the best thing for you and your patients.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I agree with what the other 2 posted. It makes a difference in how you handle the stress. And it is important for you to know your feelings and the effect that this job has on you.

I've done this for 3 years now and still love it for the most part. I've had some mild burnout of not really carring anymore and have taken my time off and am now trying to get back on a regular schedule. I'll agree most of it is my fault of running 2 weeks of nights and 2 weekends on average each month for the past year. It still doesn't bother me But what did it for me the last time was our ambulance director. Which I've adjusted my attitude and have mentally made myself to figure out a different way of handling it. So over all it is knowing your attitude and knowing what is affecting you when you are doing this. Then yes after alot of years doing it you may decide you don't want to do it any longer or you may do it forever. It goes both ways.

dizzymedic

Forum Probie
I've been at it for the past 6 years now and still going strong. I take very good care of my health and take time for myself when not working. It all depends how you handle stress also. If you are someone who gets stressed out easily, you might be prone to "burn outs" it is hard to tell just like that. Our service has a very low burn out rate so it all varies.

OP
OP
I

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
Cool. Well I can't claim to have ever been stressed out. Going into my senior year of highschool, everyone seems really highstrung, and I seem to just coast by with honor roll grades...doesn't seem fair, but I'll take it.

Considering getting my medic, doing tha tfor a while, and then getting my PA...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have been burned out so may times after nearly 30 years, I am more crispy than Kentucky Fried Chicken.... lol..

There have been many studies that actually less responding agencies have a higher stress level than those that are predominally busy. Being ready for the "big" one... can cause tension all the times.

Many become "burned out" due to high expectations or poor coping skills of what the true job requirements are the daily work assignments, & the routine nature of the job. As well national studies have shown that the average span for the EMT is about 5 years, and 2 years for a Paramedic. Not very long considering the time and effort one place in achieving it.

Maybe, we need to reconsider the curriculum not only teaching the emergency but the true nature of EMS of routine care, transfers, and non-emergency calls. Like residency in Emergency Medicine, teach the down side as much as the up-side. At least, no one would enter the profession blindly...

R/r 911

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Interesting, at times I do feel more stressed at my volly fire department running 1 call/day and more relaxed in the city running myself ragged.

We are probably the wrong ones to ask about being "burnt out" because, after all, we are spending our free time posting on this website. I think this proves we aren't even close to being burnt out and therefore probably don't know much about it. I for one am physically fit with no major health problems and a stable personal life. This allows me to relax and enjoy myself at work. If this continues, I can foresee myself doing this job until I am as old as ridryder or die, which ever comes first.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Okay, I'll bite here. Yes, I am burnt out. However, it's from the politics involved on the job and not the actual job itself.
Burn out encompasses much more than just stress management and keeping healthy, IMO.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've had the same "mini-burnouts" RescueCapt... and I REALLY hate working transport, unless I've got a REALLY fun partner.

The solution - Take some time off, sleep, and come back in a week or month.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
All jobs have a burn out figure. I spent too many years as a phone monkey (tech support, customer service, etc) and by the end I was ready to kill people. Was it the job? Usually, no.

It was the politics and the other people. Politics & asinine corporate policies is what burnt me out.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I could not work EMS if it were my day job. I used to work a couple of times a week max. I went to work each day with a smile and excited to interact with patients. I was sincerely excited to tech the dialysis patients and chat it up with them. My partners loved my excitement.

When I came home over summer or worked a full week during a school break I felt like crap. I couldn't stand EMS and working in private EMS.

Since I started working in EMS in early 2004 I can count on two hands how many of the people I worked with are still with the service. Many have moved on to different professions where they work less, make more money, and are generally happier.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
MMiz said:
Since I started working in EMS in early 2004 I can count on two hands how many of the people I worked with are still with the service. Many have moved on to different professions where they work less, make more money, and are generally happier.
Now you understand why I decided to get out of the industry full time.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm part time and thank God I get to pick and choose the days I want to work. With the EMS company I work for you couldn't pay me enough to work full time. The weeks I work 2-3 days I love the job, I have a good time on shift even when I have an *** for a partner (and it happens more often than not). I've had a couple weeks where I've pulled 2 doubles and by the end of those 2 days, especially if I have an *** for a partner I want to quit.

SO many people have asked me, "So Jenn how do you like working for EMS?" I always respond with...some days it's the greatest job on earth and some days I wonder what the hell I got myself into.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
a group of medics i hang out with had just finished with a medic class and we were all celebrating. i'm at least about 10 years younger than them and the group of them made me promise 2 things: 1) that i would get my medic asap and not stay a basic for too long; 2) that i wouldn't do it full time. they all pointed to one of the instructors, a 40ish female medic who had burnt herself out so badly that she had almost had a break down and said that they didn't want me to end up like her. :wacko:

right now, though, i love doing what i'm doing and wouldn't ever think of stopping.

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
It took me 9 years to burn out. Now when I look back it seems that the film crew of "Bringing Out The Dead" was following me around. "Can you fire me today?" While I never mistreated any patients I did resent them for interupting my time (sleep, meals, tv, Surfing the web) I went from a unit that transported 8-14 times in a 12 hour shift to one that transported 2 maybe 3 times. The down time drove me crazy. I got the intercept truck stuck in mud 4 wheeling which the supervisor pulled out for me (not fired) , caught swimming in the public pool at 2am by the PD (not fired) some other questionable activities (no ETOH,RX or sex stuff) (not fired) Being way out of district (not fired) Never in proper uniform (never even written up) Hated sick people, hated work, hated EMS,

Man I was mess. Took a few years off to ride the FD rescue truck (not an ambulance) and came back. I think that is where most of the burn out came from, not being able to get away from it. While I do my ConEd I dont go away to EMS confrences anymore(fire ones either). I make a clean break from EMS for a couple of days a month and a few weeks out of the year.

I'm working ony parttime now as a paramedic after doing ot full time for 10 years. I believe I am at that tollerent stage. No hate or resentment for my patients, the company, fellow employees. Even if it is the same circus with different clowns. I've been getting plenty of rest between shifts instead of burning the candle at both ends.

I try to warn the new kids coming in that working full time, going to school fulltime and volunteering on the nearby ambulance is too much. Your missing out on life. Burn out comes from being total emmersed in one thing and being resentful of missing the other things that you want to do. Burn out is not unique to EMS or public safety. It happens to anyone in any job where work is placed before personal needs.

Do not confuse burnout with PTSD. Some times they do work together but I believe they are 2 seperate things.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
fyrdog,

I think you've made one of the best posts of the year.

JimH

Forum Probie
5 years seems to be the average, but remember that average means just that.

I worked 15 years in the field, but 10 years of it was with a special event service, if not for that, I would have burned out sooner. Posting to this group is the first thing EMS related I have done in over 10 years- I still have some interest, but I will never work on an ambulance again.
I don't think it was stress, it was just dealing with people.
I knew I did not want to stay in EMS any longer, but I did not want to do anything else in the medical field- I just got to the point I did not want to deal with people.
I finally decided on career change- I am just completeing 12 years in my new field, I have no intention of changing, and I actually lead a normal, happy life, something I never could manage on an ambulance;)
I think your best way of avoiding burnout is to have interests completely outside of EMS. Full time and volunteer is to much, fyrdog is right- you want to look forward to your shift.
Fyrdog summed it up nicely- I could have written his post myself.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I burned out about 4 1/2-5 years into my career. I was volunteering at the local FD and working on a busy truck at a busy service full-time. My husband is a firefighter and we were dating at the time, so our entire world revolved around EMS/fire service. Definately not healthy! I ended up leaving the streets, working for a pediatrician, and then working in a couple different offices. I went back to school and got a degree in something not related to EMS. While finishing up my degree I went back to work part-time for a transport service. I am now working full-time as a civilian EMT for an area FD. I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else.

Was I burned out at one point? Most definately! I spent about a year away from EMS, and then came back. I have had my cert for almost 8 years now. I absolutely love what I do, and can't imagine having another I job. (I tried and hated it. :p ) The biggest thing that I do now that I didn't do starting out was I leave EMS at work. I spend plenty of time with friends and family and allow myself to not be an EMT when I am not at work.