Food Recipes - healthy, and a couple not so healthy

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
Chinese Chicken Salad (makes 4 servings)

3/4 cup plain fat-free (or regular, but I'd recommend fat free) yogurt
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon rice vinegar (rice vinegar is the shizzile!!!)
1 Teaspoon asian (I prefer dark) sesame oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 1/2 cup cooked cellophane noodles (roman noodles work too, and angel hair pasta, and rice noodles work too, whichever you have)
6 scallians, cut into 1 inch strips
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 (8 ounce) can of sliced water chestnuts, drained (optional to have chestnuts)
2 cups trimmed watercress or mixed salad
4 teaspoons sesame seeds. but make sure they are toasted

In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, peanut butter, vinegar, oil, garlic, and coriander. add the chicken, noodles, scallions, bell pepper, and water chestnuts.

Toss to coat, very well coated, refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour, serve over the watercress, and sprinkle to taste with sesame seeds.

This makes 4 servings.

Chicken Stir Fry - makes 4 servings
2 tablespoons chicken broth (preferably low-sodium)
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon asian (preferably dark) sesame oil
3/4 of a pound of skinless, bloness chicken breasts. cut into small strips
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon peanut oil
6 scalliuns cut into inch long strips
2 cloves of garlic minced.
1/4 crushed red pepper
12 asparagus spears, cut into 2 inch strips
1 cup trimmed watercress

To prepare the marinade, in a zip lock bag combine broth, ginger, soycause, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, and sesame oil. add the chicken. seal the bag, squeezing out the air, turn to coat the chicken. Refrigerate turning bag occasionally at least 2 hours or overnight. Drain and discard the marinade.

than , heat a large nonstick skillet until very hot. add the sesame seeds and stir fry until golden 2 to 3 minutes, and transfer toa small bowl.

In the same skillet, heat the peanut oil, stir fry, the scallions, garlic, and red pepper for two minutes, add the asparagus and stir fry until tender 4 to five minutes. add the chicken and watercress, stir fry until the chicken is cooked through. 6 to 8 minutes served with semesame seeds to taste

You can also add: Carrots, or any other veggies you'd like to add to it.

It makes 4 servings as is.

If anyone has any types of favorite foods, I'm sure I can find some good recipes for ya, or if anyone has any recipes to share, feel free to add.

OP
OP
T

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
The most simplest recipe. It's a noodle salad.

Required: Rice Vinegar. Noodles (recommend Rice Noodles, but you can use top roman noodles, speghetti noodles, or angel hair pasta, or any other kinda of noodles, just make sure they are long, but the above are the ones I'd recommend, especially rice noodles)

Veggies.

Carrots, peas, onions, broccoli, as long as you can chop them into small pieces (small enough, but large enough to be eaten with chop sticks, that's the rule of thumb) is good to go.

Go while, go crazy.

:censored::censored::censored::censored:aki Mushrooms are wonderous as well.

Anyways,

Take your favorite noodle (rice noodle recommended, or Top Romen Noodles, or Speghetti noodles, etc, or combination, whatever you feel is best, but rice noodles are highly recommended, each type of noodle makes it taste totally different)

and take your assortmen of veggies, ANY/ALL assortmen, go while, go crazy. whatever you like.

Cook the noodles. than coat with rice vinegar, add your veggies, coat with rice vinegar, make a nice coating. as much as you can do, (keep tossing it) without having any vinegar sitting at the bottom of the bowl (enough to soak into the veggies/noodles, but not enough to saturate etc) put into the fridge for an hour, maybe 2 (make it freezing cold)

Essentially, you're just adding enough for taste, whatever strength you want it, that's what you make it. veggies are to taste as well.

You can go to town, and make this whole thing a meal, OR, you can segment it, and break it into side dishes for other meals.

It's a good side to terriyaki chicken breast meat. a little salad (like a garden salad, Caesar or vinaigrette are recommended) and some wheat dinner rolls.

Or you can skip the side salad, and do a baked potato or corn husk. for baked potato, it's not the potato, it's what you put on it.

But yeah, this works as a pretty good meal ordeal too. Very healthy, actually recomended by the American Heart Association, and American Diabetes Association (ADA in small portions, like as a side dish)

Rob123

Forum Crew Member

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Ha! Can't say "shіtake"?

Oatmeal-raisin cookies. Not terribly healthy, but they're crisp and delicious, and they do have oatmeal and raisins in them, right?

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350° Stir together oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine granulated and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla, scraping sides as necessary.
3. Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture; mix until just combined. Mix in raisins.
4. Using a small (1 1/2 tbsp.) ice-cream scoop [I use a melon baller], make balls of dough and place them 2 inches apart on parchment-paper-lined baking sheets.
5. Bake until cookies are golden and just set, 12-14 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool completely.

Source: Martha Stewart Living, some issue I no longer have.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Bourbon BBQ Sauce

3/4 cup Bourbon
1/2 cup Onion chopped
4 tablespoons Garlic to taste
2 cups Ketchup
1/3 cup White Vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Brown sugar
3/4 cup Molasses
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
Liquid Smoke to taste
Salt & pepper to taste
Hot pepper sauce to taste

Instructions
1. Sauté the onion, garlic, and boubon in a large saucepan until the onions are transparent. This can take about 10 minutes. It's a good idea to do this with a good bit of ventilation going.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil Lower heat and simmer until the mixture has thickened or about 20 minutes.

3. Letting the sauce sit off the burner or even in the refridgerator overnight will allow the flavors to mix and intensify.

4. Adding additional pepper and hot pepper sauce will make for a much spicerier sauce. Experiment with hot pepper sauce or chopped up fresh peppers.

OP
OP
T

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
Spicy Chicken Curry

INGREDIENTS

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces
2 onions, chopped
4 green chile peppers, chopped
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 cups water
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 pinch ground turmeric
salt to taste

add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
Customize Recipe
add a personal note Add a Personal Note

1. Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Set aside. Grind poppy seeds into a paste.
2. In a large skillet, saute onions and green chiles in oil until golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste and continue to saute. Add poppy seed paste and reserved chicken pieces, continuing to saute. Stir all together; after chicken is well mixed with the 'gravy', add the red chili powder and pour 2 cups of water over the mixture. Cover skillet and let simmer about 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
3. After chicken is 'well-boiled' (the oil should be floating on top of the skillet liquid), add the garam masala and turmeric powder and turn off the stove. Stir all together and serve.

Taking handful of Jalapenos, and dicing them into tiny bits, also give a pretty good bite to it.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Oven Baked BBQ Pork Steaks

Season steaks to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder

Mix 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Dale's seasoning

spread sauce over steaks covering both sides and pour remainder over steaks in 13x9 in pan

Place in oven at 350 for an hour

Depending on size of pork steaks can make 2-6

Its simple and fairly fast

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
A note on liquid smoke: It's really strong. Don't pour it directly into the sauce, because it's easy to screw up and overseason it. Pour it into a spoon that isn't over the sauce, and add a little at a time.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
A note on liquid smoke: It's really strong. Don't pour it directly into the sauce, because it's easy to screw up and overseason it. Pour it into a spoon that isn't over the sauce, and add a little at a time.

I've never used it, I usually omit the liquid smoke, it's not a flavor I like in my sauce. But good advice.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Deep Fried Twinkies

Now theres a healthy choice.

Twinkies might seem like enough of a treat, but this recipe calls for deep frying the cream-filled snack with batter and eating it like a popsicle. To sweeten the deal, there's a recipe for berry sauce, too.
Ingredients

6 Twinkies
Popsicle sticks
4 cups vegetable oil
Flour for dusting
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 Tablespoon oil
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.

2. Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.

3. Mix together milk, vinegar and oil.

4. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt.

5. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats.

6. Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake.

7. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.

8. Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 6.

Variation: Slice Twinkie into 4 pieces. Flour and batter each before frying. With this treatment, one Twinkie will serve two people if accompanied by a sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Chinese Food
Servings: Very
1) Locate Phone
2) Locate Number For Delivery
3) Call Number For Delivery
4) Order.
5) Wait.
6) Answer Door. Pay.
7) Enjoy.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Chinese Food
1) Locate Phone
4) Order.
5) Wait.
6) Answer Door. Pay.
7) Enjoy.

See, it's the second half of step 6 that always bothers me.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Chicken Fried Bacon

Not sure on the exact measurements but Im sure they are out in cyber space somewhere

Take bacon strips and batter them in eggs and flour (same batter receipe as chicken fried steak or for fried pickles) deep fry and enjoy in a ranch dressing dipping sauce.

So not healthy and you are likely to gain 10 pounds just making it but it is soooo good.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
Chinese Food
1) Locate Phone
4) Order.
5) Wait.
6) Answer Door. Pay.
7) Enjoy.

If I want chineese I will fry a cat myself it is cheaper. I am kidding.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
HAh I still have Firehouse MAgazine with 1977 teriyake recipie*!

Fast and healthy eh?

Prepare your choice of one portion of healthy goodies, then fold it into a two or three egg omlet. (If the omlet fails, make it a scramble).Leftovers will do. Top with shoyu, green or red taco sauce, done in about ten minutes. SKip cheese except as a sprinkle on top for flavor.

Fresh veg stirfry (suitable for the omlet):CUT UP AND PREPARE FIRST
2 stalks celery cut to 1/2 inch pieces or smaller, 1 bag bean sprouts from market, 1/4 onion (not green), 1 or 2 small bok choi cut up (cut leaves less-fine than stalks) and/or 3/4 cup finely cut cabbage. Some cut up ripe red bell pepper is good to add as well, but make sure you score the skin if it's thick (eat a raw piece to check, delicious!). How about some cut up mushrooms, or a little bit of meat cut very very finely (for flavor)?
To your wok or deep saute pan, add PAM spray and maybe a tabespoon of fat. Do not count sesame or chilie oil as this fat, they will burn, theyare for seasoning.

Drop in an onion piece. When it sizzles, toss in the onions and any fresh bell or hot peppers, stir or fiercely agitate pan frequently. When they start to get soft, drop in celery, any chopped garlic you want. When these start to get soft, toss in bok choi, cabbage, been sprouts. Just when they begin to look like they are cooking, add any sauces like shoyu, oils, teriyake, curry, hot garlic spread, or whatever, stir and agitate vigorously to quickly heat sauces and coat the vegetables. When they are done to your satisfaction, pour em out.

Got cold leftover unsauced pasta? Toss it in with the celery and cook a little longer before next addition.
Want meat? Raw meat needs to be cut small and thinly to go in along with onions and cook til very nearly done, the pan temp will drop after you add other veggies and meat will not cook much more if you do it right. Leftover meat: chop or cut small and thin, add anytime before beansprouts.
Sprinkle on during cooking as wanted but be careful: curry powder, black pepper, powdered garlic, dried red pepper flakes from your takeout pizza, gyoza dipping sauce, rice vinegar. Not necessarily all at once! Serve with shoyu (Japanese soy sauce), any other stuff you want.

*No this isn't that recipie, and I can't spell recipie either.:p

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
Now theres a healthy choice.

Twinkies might seem like enough of a treat, but this recipe calls for deep frying the cream-filled snack with batter and eating it like a popsicle. To sweeten the deal, there's a recipe for berry sauce, too.

Throughout the year we perform "stand-by" at local popular events. Inevitably, we are parked near the Zeppole, Funnel Cake, Fried Twinkies and Fried Oreo Cookie vendor.

It's funny or sad depending on your point of view.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Chicken Fried Bacon

Not sure on the exact measurements but Im sure they are out in cyber space somewhere

Take bacon strips and batter them in eggs and flour (same batter receipe as chicken fried steak or for fried pickles) deep fry and enjoy in a ranch dressing dipping sauce.

So not healthy and you are likely to gain 10 pounds just making it but it is soooo good.

That is one wrong recipe! Think I hear arteries clogging :wacko: I'd try it once

Medic744

Forum Captain
That is one wrong recipe! Think I hear arteries clogging :wacko: I'd try it once

Arteries, veins, any and all blood vessels. No big surprise it is a top seller at fairs around here along with fried oreos, fried twinkies, funnel cakes, and fried just about anything else.