Feeling very stressed.

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys. I'm an EMT-B and am 19 years old. My plan is to go to Paramedic school in a couple years, and right now I'm volunteering for a fire station that I live about 50 miles away from (crazy I know). It's small, and there's only two paid guys per shift so they don't mind the extra hand.

I work Monday through Thursday, 8.5 hours a day and volunteer at this station on Fridays and Sundays all day. Saturdays are my days off.. Kind of.
It's really more of a 'catch up on things you didn't get done during the week' kind of day.

Basically, I have no Dan time. Have no time for friends, girls, etc.. Money is also tight, and most of it's going in my tank right now plus savings.

It's really tough to keep on doing things I like to do for me. Like going to the gym, biking, hiking etc.. You guys get the picture.

I just feel it really starting to wear on me. Physically, emotionally, socially.. and I feel like I'm about to blow. My confidence has taken a nose dive. Whenever something I normally would find slightly annoying happens, I now feel anger which never used to happen. I feel like I'm changing which I don't like, but it's out of my hands!

I don't know what to do anymore. I know it'll pay off in the end, but there has to be something I can do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Basically, I have no time for girls, then everything else and Dan time, etc..

Fixed that for you.

Look, in the Batman movie, Joker said "if your good at something, never do it for free."

Thats advice to live by kid.

Cut back on the volunteering, enjoy fine women, wine, music, whatever the heck you like.

The job is stressful and consumes enough of your time as it is, at least get paid for it in return.

Volunteering can be good for making connections, getting a bit of experience, etc. But that is about it. Its 2013. How many folks do you see running to do unpaid internship and unpaid internship after unpaid internship for months or years on end? Do you a little time and move on in a happier direction with your life and career.

joycarlaina

Forum Ride Along
You can't go on like that for too long. That sounds extremely stressful. I agree with Arovetli...

Do what makes you happy and makes you feel the most fulfilled.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
What about volunteering where you live and dropping the one 50 miles away? Is that possible? You said they don't mind you helping, well I'd rather volunteer where help is appreciated! Not just allowed.

As for doing it for free or paid, its temporary for you so don't sweat it.

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Focus on your career. Though you get good experience, it sounds like your volunteer job is doing more harm than good. Im doing volunteer when I was going to school but now looking for a full time job, and if it came down to a choice between the two, Im going with the one that pays me. I do get a little money per run here but its not anything you can live on.

Doing volunteer isnt essential in progressing your career and its ok to cut it loose. You gotta do what you gotta do

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I would suggest that you drop one of your volunteer days and that way you will have two days for yourself. Volunteering is good, but you have to balance it with the rest of your life and activities. Bottom line, is that you have to do what makes you happy. If you do not do what makes you happy, you will end up going right back down this very same trail that will lead to burnout. That is not a good ending for anyone, especially you.

OP
OP
D

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys I appreciate your insight! It even helped just writing that, because I tend to keep things bottled up and never talk about it.

As for volunteering.. I have a really good thing going at this department. My chief said if they ever get an opening I'd be first on his list. They are even putting me through an aemt course! I also got chief of the new explorers program they put together.

Thanks again.

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys I appreciate your insight! It even helped just writing that, because I tend to keep things bottled up and never talk about it.

Dont bottle things because it will eventually come out one way or another.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
girls

Cleric

Forum Probie

As for volunteering.. I have a really good thing going at this department. My chief said if they ever get an opening I'd be first on his list. They are even putting me through an aemt course! I also got chief of the new explorers program they put together.

Thanks again.

You should life your life seeking either happiness or money, hopefully they coincide, but it seems like in your situation, it's providing neither of them. I'd cut back on the hours, maybe find a paying part time job. Hell, look for a cozy IFT Ambulance job, just to make ends meet. Stick around for the free AEMT training, but haul *** out of there if that fabled "opening" never shows and you're still feeling :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty about the job.

More importantly, though: are you getting burnt out from working too much? From not earning enough (read: any) money? From not having personal time? Or is it just that the job isn't for you? Now is the perfect time to decide if EMS is what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not much older than you (23) so take this with that in mind. Right now you have the fewest obligations that you ever will (or at less, that's what I get from your post.) by that I mean no kids, no wife, and you aren't taking care of your parents. So besides keeping a roof over your head and food I your stomach, you can do whatever you want.

Now what does that mean? It means that while being responsible is awesome, if you're sacrificing these years to the rat race and you aren't happy, do something else. Cut back volunteering, or get a job as a basic. If you plan on a career in ems that may mean moving. If so, now will be the easiest time to do those things. Also, going to paramedic school sooner rather than later might be a good idea. You could focus on your job as a medic, make a little more money, and probably save yourself some time in volunteering. If that's the end goal, I think it's something to consider.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
What time is the 8.5 hour job? Seems like you're missing out on gym time and going out with friends time during the week.

When I work an 8 hour shift, I get off work in the evening, throw laundry in, read with the kids, cook supper, get everybody through the bathtub, get them to bed and then go run. There's time for what you have priorities for.

Are you letting yourself get sucked into the tv? Vegging on the couch is nice, but if that's what you're doing, you need to acknowledge that choice and recognize that it's what you're CHOOSING to do, not just letting happen.

This very moment I am choosing to relax on my porch and listen to my kids playing in the yard. I could be exercising, doing laundry or studying, but I'm right here. Because I'm off today and relaxing on my porch makes me happy when I do it consciously.

Later I will pay the laundry toll, now I am ignoring it.

Like someone said above, this is your most unencumbered time of your life...make it work for you. And realize by spending 2 days at the firehouse you are potentially working yourself into a dream job while technically working 48 hours a week for free. That wears you down. I would drop one of the days every other week.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

Thanks again.

What he meant to say is he greatly enjoys your (unpaid) labor.