JonTullos

Forum Captain
Well, my schedule's somewhat changed so I have to work on Sunday (read: will not have Internet access). Might it be possible to post a transcript of the meeting so that those of us who can't be here can at least see what was discussed? Thanks.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well, my schedule's somewhat changed so I have to work on Sunday (read: will not have Internet access). Might it be possible to post a transcript of the meeting so that those of us who can't be here can at least see what was discussed? Thanks.

It really depends on what format the chat session will be in.

If there is a way, we will definitely try our best to create one.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Thread drift is natural especially when it drifts to the root cause of issues.
Perhaps natural but undesirable (to the point some places prefer tree-type forum structure - very inconvenient to use but limits drift). This forum has relatively soft policy on going off-topic; there are places with much stricter rules which do not allow excuses "oh, but X are the root of all evil, we must bash 'em in every thread no matter what's it about!"

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
do not allow excuses "oh, but X are the root of all evil, we must bash 'em in every thread no matter what's it about!"

That's a personalized emotional interpretation. I think what is going on is more like "this issue is related/caused by the root issue as such." This may inevitably start debate about the root issue. You solution is to ignore it and not mention it?

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
after watching this unfold over the last week or so, i have to say i'm baffled. I'm baffled that this is still being argued. Basically, one new rule is in place: treat people with respect. It seems the people that are in uproar about this are the people that know they do not treat people with respect on a daily basis. I don't know if you find some sort of joy in insulting people, or just an old habit, but all that needs to change is for people to be nice, have a little compassion, have a little understanding. No, i'm not saying we can't criticize people, or that we can't share our opinions. But you and I both know that there is a mean way to do it and a nicer way to do it. You know what i'm talking about, just remove that one sarcastic word, that one instigator, whatever it may be, and your reply will be much more pleasant.

also, remember that this isn't a democracy. there are leaders, they make rules. It seems the mods tried to be nice by giving people a chance to give their feedback on it, which is more than can be said for most forums. Most would simply make the rule, enforce the rule, ban the people, without blinking an eye. maybe they made a couple mistakes, possibly misinterpreting the rule or being too harsh on it, i don't know, its too early to tell. maybe an overreaction from both sides sparked this, but in the end, all that matters is that people are a little nicer to each other.

personally, i haven't seen these radical changes people have been talking about. i still log on everyday, read over the posts, and make a post or two. this rule hasn't effected me, and they only thing i've noticed is that some of the not-as-nice people have posted a little less. i haven't seen the dramatic decrease in medical related posts, although i haven't been here that long, maybe there were oodles and oodles before i joined. basically all i'm trying to say is lighten up, everyone. you're acting like the world is going to end because of a rule that says 'play nice'

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
It seems the people that are in uproar about this are the people that know they do not treat people with respect on a daily basis. I don't know if you find some sort of joy in insulting people, or just an old habit

I find that accusation insulting and disrespectful. I've never been warned or received an infraction for being disrespectful.

The devil is in the details. What constitutes "playing nice."

JonTullos

Forum Captain
It really depends on what format the chat session will be in.

If there is a way, we will definitely try our best to create one.

Thank you.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
That's a personalized emotional interpretation. I think what is going on is more like "this issue is related/caused by the root issue as such." This may inevitably start debate about the root issue. You solution is to ignore it and not mention it?
Again, I never said not to discuss it, I say let's discuss it in an appropriate place and not turn topics which discuss specific issue into 987425943256th holy war thread. Holy war threads are dime a dozen, let's not turn other discussions into them.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Yes, please post a transcript since certain members of this forum who oppose the new policy have been banned from chat.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yes, please post a transcript since certain members of this forum who oppose the new policy have been banned from chat.

Like Chimpie said, we'll try to post a transcript.

But to clear something up, people are not banned from chat for opposing the policy...they get banned from chat for not abiding by it, especially in the chat room.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
All members, including those that currently do not have chat access, are welcome to join the meeting.

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
My two bits.

It has been a while since I have logged in. I have to say that I did not also like the bashing that was going on. I can understand why some of the threads got locked out, because some of them were going to turn real nasty. I do give credit to the admins for doing a good job. There was a forum up my neck of the woods that was taken off due to personal attacks. The one thing that bothered me the most on here was trying to have a civil conversations. We can argue all we want about vol vs paid, fire based vs non fire based till we get blue in the face. We are all here because we do a job and help people, and it doesnt' matter if we are paid or vol, emt or paramedic. Just like any other forum there are people that post useless threads. I am not much active as an emt anymore. I am "semi-retired" so to speak. I work as a communications officer where my paid job is and I am in an admin position where I volunteer with. I still do my con ed's, read up and still ask questions. I will pop in now and again. I don't need the stress either and can understand everyone's fustrations. Take care everyone.