Fear mongering

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'd give up #5 because he's doing terrible chest compressions.

As well as #1 because he's interrogating a distraught family member who's recollection cannot be trusted, about meds that he should know inside and out but which probably have little relevance to the resuscitation anyway

And #2 because he's squeezing an IV bag that apparently isn't attached to anything

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Just a note, theres a stemi/mi/stroke, edap hospital 5 minutes away oh and a level 2 trauma, level 3 nicu about 8 minutes the other direction.[emoji1]

Sure, but do you realize how bad traffic is in that area? Huntington Drive to Arcadia Methodist is a nightmare and God have Mercy on their souls if they have to take Fair Oaks to Huntington Memorial.

They're cowboys all alone out there. I'm surprised they don't fly more people out.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure, but do you realize how bad traffic is in that area? Huntington Drive to Arcadia Methodist is a nightmare and God have Mercy on their souls if they have to take Fair Oaks to Huntington Memorial.

They're cowboys all alone out there. I'm surprised they don't fly more people out.
LOL! nevermind the mutual aid from Arcadia down the street and South Pasadena. Honestly they would do just fine with a volunteer FD like Sierra Madre. The only paid position over there are the medics at $12-$14 an hour. When your majority population of structures is residential and botiques with your tallest building being 2 storys it's hard to justify. Another thing, its a wealthy mostly geriatric population. Wealthy people or wealthy areas shown in trends tend to be healthier. I would be curious to see the call volume. It all really comes down to dollar signs and number of actual use. If they used Schaefer or Amr both near by and a squad system, hell even a private dual medic, fires budget would go in half! But with the IAFF and Joe taxpayer not being too knowledgeable on how it all really works that will probably never happen. For too long in LA county the public always associates fire with ems and private personell being "Ambulance drivers".

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
#2 should read this poster, I don't see a monitor.

Hahahah. How did I not see that? Lots of para-magician ACLS stuff going on, but no monitor, no defib patches and CPR over a t-shirt. WTF.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
I'd give up 1, 2, and 3. 4 does the job of 1 and 3, and 6 does the job of 2.

Clearly this means I am ready to be a politician for making all these fantastic budget cuts. I'll be running in 2016.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I know ive been MIA for the last couple months but let me give you my perspective. The IAFF is ran by crooks. They will use any tactic to faten their coffers to pay for their over inflated pensions while backing liberal pro union wack job liberals for public office. This is coming from an ex hose monkey who woke up to the evils of fire running EMS and moved over to the private side. Im much happier not having to associate with a group like the IAFF anymore.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not seeing the issue here. If they're facing budget cuts and need the money to keep staffing then who cares how they do it? They are a purely fire based ALS only transport department according to the posting... Having more hands on scene is always helpful as long as people do their jobs.

Gary, thank you for you comments.

As Jon mentioned, you are missing the point of this photo. Let's not forget that we are all on the same team here. CAN it be done with fewer? Yes. Have I personally done the job with fewer in my ems career? Yes. There point is that there is a difference in the quality of care a patient receives with more hands on deck vs. fewer hands - I have witnessed the difference personally in working on various types of systems throughout my career.

When you work for a municipality like San Marino with all medics, you realize the incredible value this type of system holds for our community. I'm not putting down any other agency or the way they do things; I have the utmost respect for those out there doing the job with limited personnel. We are fortunate to have what we have here, and we are trying to keep that.

Again, we are all on the same team, do your best to support your brothers out there instead of trying to make them look bad.

Thank you,

Nathan Foth
President SMFA
Local 3626

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not seeing the issue here. If they're facing budget cuts and need the money to keep staffing then who cares how they do it? They are a purely fire based ALS only transport department according to the posting... Having more hands on scene is always helpful as long as people do their jobs.
Cause its being pushed by a corrupt group like the IAFF who could care less about patient care. All they care about is more members paying Union dues.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sounds like somebody who never quite got the job they were hoping for…

Sure.....and the only reason many people don't support Barack Obama is cuz they're racist, right?

Would you say that the IAFF has a strong interest in improving patient care?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

The problem is that it is an attempt to use misinformation to scare an uninformed and vulnerable public into supporting the agenda of always giving the fire service all the money they want. Because if you don't give the FD all the money they want, the ad implies, you will be more likely to die because there won't be enough FF's around to save you.

It is not only a lie, but also an unethical violation of trust, IMO.

They could have simplified the ad and simply printed in block letters "Give Your FD More Money If You Want To Live." Because that is exactly what the ad means, in short.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Brief diversion from the topic of the thread but I just can't resist.
I spent years as a hose monkey and left on my own free accord to pursue private EMS so try again. I enjoy private EMS 100x more and am much happier.
Your own free accord? It wasn't for medical reasons?
Yeah I know that as I work on an ambulance now. I am no longer a FF due to medical reasons.
First off I'm not longer a FF cause of medical reasons.
Oh he was deffiently on the line but not yet over it. He meant it as a joke that was reserved for his engine only and made a mistake. Fire departments are very close knit group of guys. Everyone on an engine is like a family. The guys at your station on another engine are like your extended family however you know you all have each other's best interest at heart. I have been the subject of someone dropping in on a conversation I was having with my guys and this outside person felt it was over the line and made a big stink about it. My guys had no issue with it what so ever cause we where all like brothers and command thought it was not over the line. While a Lt. saying those things might not send the best message to those under him its a far cry from anything totally out of control. I dont think his career should be at risk cause of a mistake. The issue I have is now a days someone says something they don't like and first thing they do is run to command or their EO rep. Careers are flushed down the drain due to political correctness and outside pressure. The media will always blow stuff out of proportion so I take this story with a grain of salt. This story is far from why they put sexual harrasment standards in place.
Do you want to revise your statement from then, or now?

http://emtlife.com/threads/start-a-ambulance-company-or-not.41318/
How about that company you were starting? You know, the one that was in an area that already had a transporting EMS service (run by the local fire department)? It work out?

The cynical part of me can't help but think of two possibilities for your sudden hatred of the IAFF; you tried to get another job with a fire department/keep your old job, were refused for the aforementioned medical reasons, went to the IAFF for help and were told there was nothing to be done...or...
...your company failed because the fire department wasn't quite ready to give up their service area...or...
...you tried to get a medical pension, and then had it revoked for one reason or another (possibly because you were still working as a field EMS provider) and the IAFF told you there was nothing to be done.

Pure speculation on my part, but since we are speculating about the intent of that idiotic poster that was put out...one has to wonder...

And for the record, the poster that DEMedic posted is absolutely ridiculous...just like the ones put out by multiple medical provider's parent groups...

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Brief diversion from the topic of the thread but I just can't resist.

Your own free accord? It wasn't for medical reasons?

Do you want to revise your statement from then, or now?

http://emtlife.com/threads/start-a-ambulance-company-or-not.41318/
How about that company you were starting? You know, the one that was in an area that already had a transporting EMS service (run by the local fire department)? It work out?

The cynical part of me can't help but think of two possibilities for your sudden hatred of the IAFF; you tried to get another job with a fire department/keep your old job, were refused for the aforementioned medical reasons, went to the IAFF for help and were told there was nothing to be done...or...
...your company failed because the fire department wasn't quite ready to give up their service area...or...
...you tried to get a medical pension, and then had it revoked for one reason or another (possibly because you were still working as a field EMS provider) and the IAFF told you there was nothing to be done.

Pure speculation on my part, but since we are speculating about the intent of that idiotic poster that was put out...one has to wonder...

And for the record, the poster that DEMedic posted is absolutely ridiculous...just like the ones put out by multiple medical provider's parent groups...
Yes medical and my own free accord. The company I run it actually doing fine. I run three EMTs providing services to a large mine. If you would like I can put you in contact with the company I contract for.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
If you would like to get into my leaving fire please feel free to message me. Had nothing to do with IAFF. More of the fact I was facing a medical complication and doctor advise. I could of pushed myself another 10 years maybe but I decided to put my family first.

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
The lack of monitor is an odd choice...

I've run full-arrests with just me and the medic, I think they could have thought of a better way to get this message across.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
There seems to be ALOT of animosity in this forum. I'm an IAFF fire medic and couldn't be happier. Make plenty of medical calls and I love it. Money is really good, great retirement and excellent benefits. And I thank my union for that. I respect the other medics I work with on the ambulance too. When we work a CPR, we get a lot of people involved. More the merrier.