Falsely advertising being a paramedic ?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I second the motion of a generic term to cover all 3 and then specialized terms as needed. can we all be "medics" and just call ourselves EMT-B's, EMT-I's, Paramedics when dealing with other professionals? As someone already pointed out, in spanish there is only one word!

ditto in Taiwanese.

Scout

Para-Noid
In some places it is understood that a medic is a nurse/doc, normal a Doctor.

Paramedic, being like a medic is the traditional EMS Responder/Practitioner.

I honestly don't think that many people outside of the profession care. Its too confusing

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I second the motion of a generic term to cover all 3 and then specialized terms as needed. can we all be "medics" and just call ourselves EMT-B's, EMT-I's, Paramedics when dealing with other professionals? As someone already pointed out, in spanish there is only one word!

ditto in Taiwanese.

No. We use the term medic as being EMT and Paramedic for being a Paramedic. We have large block letters on the back of our shirts with those distinct titles. Sure, most of the public does not know but the medical community should.

Why don't we just use First Aid for EMT's? You can see the what could be upsetting. Sorry, I am having a hard time with some of the recent graduates of EMT programs even calling themselves medics as medics should have medical training and much more than first aid. (hence the differential).

Personally, I could care less what they call medics in Spanish, Arabic, Japanese or Dutch or how many words or syllables it takes. Maybe if I lived there and worked there, but again I don't.

R/r 911

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
No. We use the term medic as being EMT and Paramedic for being a Paramedic. We have large block letters on the back of our shirts with those distinct titles. Sure, most of the public does not know but the medical community should.

R/r 911

I tend to agree with this idea, for the public's benefit at least. Maybe one day there will be only paramedics and paramedic students on the rigs. Though I am sure the floor nurses will still call them ambulance drivers.

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
In reply to:

"Also in Texas when dealing with Spanish speaking only there is no term for EMT unless you read them a 200 page book. So many use the Spanish for Paramedic and add the Spanish for basic or intermediate. They are not saying they are above their level just using terms that the patients can understand."

Spanish translation for EMT (in order to avoid mistranslations and therefore claiming to be a paramedic when being an EMT-B or I).

EMT --> Emergency Medical Technician = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia

EMT-B = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia Basico
EMT-I = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia Intermedio
EMT-P = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia Paramedico
EMT-T = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia Tactico

Back to the original issue, it is annoying to find people either impersonating (on purpose) an emergency worker or wearing clothing that may lead the general public to believe they are emergency workers (just for fun).

As professional lifeguards we encounter situations like that very often. In many souvenir / gift shops in coastal municipalities in the US shirts and sweatshirts with LIFEGUARD (and the name of the town / city) lettering are sold to the public. Usually, real uniforms include embroided patches and a difference is clear between the real LGs and the wannabes. The difference is less evident at pools and waterparks.

Sadly, most of the cases where people wear clothing that describe a certain emergency service worker title can not be considered an attempt to impersonate an emergency worker. NYC would then be full of arrest cases due to all the locals and tourists wearing FDNY/NYPD/PAPD logos / motives.

I believe that little can be done on this issue. On the other hand I think that actual cases of impersonating cases should be prosecuted more strictly.

Some agencies had the great idea to authorize / distribute apparel of their own agency logo / shield / motives in different colors, style, design that their actual uniforms. The words: "I support:" are also a great way of differenciating actual uniforms from promotional apparel. Which is also of great use for those members of the service proud to express their belonging while off duty but without wearing actual uniform items while doing so.

Just my opinion,

Guri

Last edited by a moderator:

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
Spanish translation for EMT (in order to avoid mistranslations and therefore claiming to be a paramedic when being an EMT-B or I).

EMT --> Emergency Medical Technician = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia

EMT-B = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia Basico
EMT-I = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia Intermedio
EMT-P = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia Paramedico
EMT-T = Tecnico Medico de Emergencia Tactico

Back to the original issue, it is annoying to find people either impersonating (on purpose) an emergency worker or wearing clothing that may lead the general public to believe they are emergency workers (just for fun).

As professional lifeguards we encounter situations like that very often. In many souvenir / gift shops in coastal municipalities in the US shirts and sweatshirts with LIFEGUARD (and the name of the town / city) lettering are sold to the public. Usually, real uniforms include embroided patches and a difference is clear between the real LGs and the wannabes. The difference is less evident at pools and waterparks.

Sadly, most of the cases where people wear clothing that describe a certain emergency service worker title can not be considered an attempt to impersonate an emergency worker. NYC would then be full of arrest cases due to all the locals and tourists wearing FDNY/NYPD/PAPD logos / motives.

I believe that little can be done on this issue. On the other hand I think that actual cases of impersonating cases should be prosecuted more strictly.

Some agencies had the great idea to authorize / distribute apparel of their own agency logo / shield / motives in different colors, style, design that their actual uniforms. The words: "I support:" are also a great way of differenciating actual uniforms from promotional apparel. Which is also of great use for those members of the service proud to express their belonging while off duty but without wearing actual uniform items while doing so.

Just my opinion,

Guri

I think this is another reason why there needs to be uniforms for EMS. I can buy a shirt with a star of life on it at Hooters (really I saw them the other day at my brothers 21st birthday party). I wonder how often I see people wearing a star of life are actually EMS. I personally think the whole T-Shirt and pants is a tacky EMS uniform for most situations.

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
R/r 911:

CCP --> Critical Care Paramedic = Paramedico de Cuidados Criticos

Just in case you end up working in a Spanish spoken country one day :p

(I get frastruated too when people mistranslate. In many Latin American countries such titles and professions didn't exsist until recent times. Even people from those countries tend to mistake salvavidas [lifesaver] with guardavidas [lifeguard] and ambulance driver with paramedic).

I agree with the fact that if us, the carriers of those titles, don't refer to ourselves with the proper technical term the public will never learn the differences.

Guri

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I like the idea of just using the term "paramedic" and having different levels of it. Think about it... LPNs and RNs get away with only using the term "nurse".

How about...
Certified Basic Paramedic (CB-P)
Intermediate Practice Paramedic (IP-P)
Advanced Practice Paramedic (AP-P)
Critical Care Paramedic (CC-P)

Or something similar...

That way, we could all call ourselves paramedics, the public wouldn't be confused, we could still have our precious nonsensical divisions until paid third-service ALS becomes the National Standard of care, and by dropping "technician", other areas of healthcare might start to take us seriously.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I like the idea of just using the term "paramedic" and having different levels of it. Think about it... LPNs and RNs get away with only using the term "nurse".

How about...
Certified Basic Paramedic (CB-P)
Intermediate Practice Paramedic (IP-P)
Advanced Practice Paramedic (AP-P)
Critical Care Paramedic (CC-P)

Or something similar...

That way, we could all call ourselves paramedics, the public wouldn't be confused, we could still have our precious nonsensical divisions until paid third-service ALS becomes the National Standard of care, and by dropping "technician", other areas of healthcare might start to take us seriously.

I'm not sure about your area, but the RN's here take offense to LVN/LPN calling themselves "Nurses " and rightfully so. Their education hasn't earned them the right to call themselves that.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Any time you have a title that garners some degree of respect in society, you're going to get some fakes who want the respect without putting in the work. Forget about the law ... just don't tolerate it.

My advice is to out the guy (or gal). Tell them point blank that you, quite frankly, think they are full of BS. Ask them some pointed knowledge questions or ask for some proof. I would never fault someone for challenging me on this.

I think you'll find that they gladdly offer some proof or offer some weak defense and then quietly go away and look for easier targets. Either way, problem solved. And by being authentic about your suspicions, and kindly confronting your faker, you'll garner some trust from your peers in the process.

The Navy SEALs deal with this stuff all the time: http://information.usnavyseals.com/us-navy-seals-info/10-ways-to-spot-fake-us-navy-seal/

Be well,

Thats wild that they have a whole page to educate people on impostors... Too funny how ridiculous people can be

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

Why don't we just use First Aid for EMT's? You can see the what could be upsetting. Sorry, I am having a hard time with some of the recent graduates of EMT programs even calling themselves medics as medics should have medical training and much more than first aid. (hence the differential).

Personally, I could care less what they call medics in Spanish, Arabic, Japanese or Dutch or how many words or syllables it takes. Maybe if I lived there and worked there, but again I don't.

R/r 911

I like that idea Rid. Also, not all EMT-B programs teach only first aid. Is taking a 12 lead considered first aid? CPAP? Trach Suctioning? Oral-Trach Intubation, Combi-tube, LMA, giving asprin, nitro? These are all "Basic" skills in my state. Granted I have met a lot of EMT-B's who got it just for getting on a fire department, who have no business on an ambulance, but there are a lot of us that aspire to go to further lengths in Medicine.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
if your NREMT... then technically aren't you an EMT... just not state licenced?

medic417

The Truth Provider
if your NREMT... then technically aren't you an EMT... just not state licenced?

Nope because they only do testing not certifying.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope because they only do testing not certifying.
False!

NREMT CERTIFIES, states LICENSE.

A certification can be done by anyone, a license may only be issued by a state and basically is what you call it when the state certifies someone. That being said, some states choose to CERTIFY their EMTs rather than LICENSE them.

medic417

The Truth Provider
False!

NREMT CERTIFIES, states LICENSE.

A certification can be done by anyone, a license may only be issued by a state and basically is what you call it when the state certifies someone. That being said, some states choose to CERTIFY their EMTs rather than LICENSE them.

False they are a testing organization.

OK get RID in here to tell us who's right.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
False they are a testing organization.

OK get RID in here to tell us who's right.
They are more than just a testing organization.

Please read this:

http://nremt.org/nremt/about/Legal_Opinion.asp

In particular, notice the portion where they say this:

In sum, the National Registry is a private certifying organization.

Earlier on the same page they said this:

Confusion between the terms “certification” and “licensure” arises because many states call their licensure processes “certification,” particularly when they incorporate the standards and requirements of private certifying bodies in their licensing statutes and require that an individual be certified in order to have state authorization to practice.

I'm pretty sure rid will back me up on this one?

Hockey

Quackers
You are NREMT certified. NR does the testing through Pearson Vue. NR is the "standard" for EMS Training on the national level.

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
In CT being NR is how you become initially state certified for Basic and Medic level. Intermediates just have to pass their class.

People who want to pretend they are something they are not is common. That is why I love the CT DPH because they list every provider and their level so you can catch their lies. It is a very low blow against our profession and they should be treated the same way people who pretend they are veterans. Public humiliation.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I'm not sure about your area, but the RN's here take offense to LVN/LPN calling themselves "Nurses " and rightfully so. Their education hasn't earned them the right to call themselves that.

Sorry. I guess I was thrown off by the term "Licensed Practical NURSE". My bad, won't happen again.