TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
That was funny.........? :unsure:

Scout

Para-Noid
dont knwo about funny, but quite good control of the car. Well done, alot of people would have messed that up, if ya get what i mean, no pun

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't find that funny at all. Thanks for the warning, by the way, I had my three year old cousin sitting on my lap while I was watching that.

OP
OP
TheAfterAffect

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Wow, Full of PETA Activists or something?

Its funny, Your all acting as if it was a Person running across the road or something.

As for the warning, its not needed, Its a humorous video but if you have all gotten so uppity over it then whatever.

Scout

Para-Noid
I had my three year old cousin sitting on my lap while I was watching that.

And you posted the video on what date to top it.

I have no problem with the video but the warning is warrented.

But we all have differing standards of humour, ever seen the joke about why did the chicken cross the road? the one where he wanted to see the porsche doing 220km/h?? i laughed at that. Have even laughed at a deer in the back seat of a car after going through the windscreen. Mainly becuase there has always been a joek attached. Now i'm going to stop sounding like a stuck up PITA.

lol

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Seeing a poor animal get splattered all over a car is not my sense of funny......

OP
OP
TheAfterAffect

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
One of my friends showed me this, Thought it was hilarious.

Warning: This video contains graphic content which may not be suitable for younger or sensitive eyes.

http://extremefirevideos.ning.com/video/explodey-the-doe

Pretty unskilled driver, IMO. Hit the deer doing 55 instead of 25. Plenty of time to brake hard and safe on the dry road. Bet the driver didn't do so well in the review of the video with his supervisor. That's a lot of extra damage to the rig due to his not watching the road and reacting.

The deer would have died either way, probably. I do NOT believe the driver should have swerved to avoid the deer; that would have been very dangerous for the crew. But hard straight-line braking would have reduced the rig damage significantly.

Some people have no business driving on country roads, IMO. Inluding those that swerve to miss deer and get people killed...

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Pretty unskilled driver, IMO. Hit the deer doing 55 instead of 25. Plenty of time to brake hard and safe on the dry road. Bet the driver didn't do so well in the review of the video with his supervisor. That's a lot of extra damage to the rig due to his not watching the road and reacting.

The deer would have died either way, probably. I do NOT believe the driver should have swerved to avoid the deer; that would have been very dangerous for the crew. But hard straight-line braking would have reduced the rig damage significantly.

Some people have no business driving on country roads, IMO. Inluding those that swerve to miss deer and get people killed...

Umm...where did you determine what speed the driver was going? Given that this was a LEO responding to a call code, I'm willing to be that he was doing a bit over 55 but I don't know. Also, considering that the deer hit the push bumper, we don't know how much damage the vehicle sustained. Did anyone see any obvoius body damage, because I didn't.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I've lived in the country my whole life, I've driven semi for several years now and worked directly with the operations manager of the local ambulance service. And you are the first person I've ever heard in my entire life that says hitting the brakes is a good choice. 99.9% of the time you will double the damage to your vehicle by hitting the brakes, if you mash the throttle you will cut your damage in half. Please do explain your line of logic but without supporting evidence I'll stick with what I know works.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've lived in the country my whole life, I've driven semi for several years now and worked directly with the operations manager of the local ambulance service. And you are the first person I've ever heard in my entire life that says hitting the brakes is a good choice. 99.9% of the time you will double the damage to your vehicle by hitting the brakes, if you mash the throttle you will cut your damage in half. Please do explain your line of logic but without supporting evidence I'll stick with what I know works.

Didn't the Mytbusters do something along those lines with a moose instead?

OP
OP
TheAfterAffect

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
[YOUTUBE]08AuqWIRo9s[/YOUTUBE]

And I deliver :p

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant

I agree with the Mythbusters angle on your statement. By hitting the brakes hard (straight-line, dry road, nobody on your rear bumper), you reduce the final impact speed. The lower the final impact speed, the lower the impulse from the impact, and so the lower the plastic deformation (damage).

And yes, in my regular day job I'm a scientist.

But the caveats are important. You don't want to get yourself into a worse accident by swerving, or hitting the brakes hard with a tailgater on you. Just lower the force of the straight-line impact as much as you can do safely. And if you're paying attention, you might even be able to slow enough for goof-ball to bound away with no damage to you or your vehicle.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't disagree with lower speed means less force which would typically mean less damage however the height of a moose vs. deer comes in to play here as well. Look at what happens to the car when you hit the hooks, nose dives down, when you mash the throttle nose comes up. Your best option would be braking before and getting your speed as low as possible then hitting the throttle just before impact to raise the bumper back up. As was proven this isn't effective against a moose unless you have a vehicle tall enough to get it with the bumper. Most ambulances (I assume that's what we're talking about) are high enough that the few extra inches of hood height could mean the difference between a deer rolling up onto the hood vs going underneath. That's the thought behind me stance on it which is not touched on either way in the mythbusters test. I was pretty sure before watching that, if you hit a moose you're screwed.